Free Clinic Volunteering but as a Lab Technician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timu1996

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently applying to volunteer at a free clinic near me; however, I don't think I will be able to handle volunteering in their medical section (the time commitment is huge and I'm a freshman still struggling to adjust to college). I will not be able to apply later for the medical section either as they require a 2.5 year commitment of 20 hours a week during the six month long training and 8-15 hours a week afterwards. Would it still be a good idea to volunteer instead as a lab technician there? The time commitment for volunteering in the lab is significantly less, but would not provide me with much clinical experience since I won't really come in contact with any of the patients.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
To clarify: Are you saying that you have to work in the "lab section" for 6 months at 20 hrs/wk and then 2 years at 8-15 hrs/wk before you can apply to work in the "medical section" for what will be more than 20 hrs/wk?

Also, what type of responsibilities would you have in these two "sections." What type of health care providers and patients will you come in contact with? And do you need to start volunteering now or can you put it off until you are better adjusted to college?

You're right, you would not get much direct clinical exposure working as a lab tech. However, it might not be a bad idea to accept the position for now while you continue to search for alternatives. Is there a minimum time commitment (e.g., 6 month minimum) upon accepting the position?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently applying to volunteer at a free clinic near me; however, I don't think I will be able to handle volunteering in their medical section (the time commitment is huge and I'm a freshman still struggling to adjust to college). I will not be able to apply later for the medical section either as they require a 2.5 year commitment of 20 hours a week during the six month long training and 8-15 hours a week afterwards. Would it still be a good idea to volunteer instead as a lab technician there? The time commitment for volunteering in the lab is significantly less, but would not provide me with much clinical experience since I won't really come in contact with any of the patients.
On one hand, you might not be getting any direct patient contact right away. On the other, you are filling a need and helping the underserved. Either way, making a difference in a population who needs it is always a good thing to do. If you think you would enjoy what you do there and can also find some clinical exposure somewhere along the line I'd say there's much worse ways to spend your free time. If you hate it, find something else that you enjoy. On a side note, that sounds like an intense free clinic orientation!

Oh no that was the duration of training/regular hours for the medical section. The lab section requires a year and half commitment of three hours a week (five during training) and one Saturday a month for three and half hours. I'm not 100% sure what the responsibilities are but from what I heard at the orientation both sections sound like they'd be good experiences. I could put off volunteering till later, but I really want to volunteer at this clinic because it's really close by and everyone at the clinic seemed really nice. There are definitely other hospitals around where I could do more clinical volunteering.

On one hand, you might not be getting any direct patient contact right away. On the other, you are filling a need and helping the underserved. Either way, making a difference in a population who needs it is always a good thing to do. If you think you would enjoy what you do there and can also find some clinical exposure somewhere along the line I'd say there's much worse ways to spend your free time. If you hate it, find something else that you enjoy. On a side note, that sounds like an intense free clinic orientation!

That's true. I think I'll go ahead and apply. Thanks! :)