Free E Prescribing programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PikminOC

MD Attending Physician
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any free E Prescribing programs? My state is going to require this soon. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I’m wary of free services but I use DrFirst which I think is the same as iPrescribe. People have had horrible customer service with them but I didn’t experience it and it was pretty easy to get set up. It’s not free for the PDMP in my state though and I believe there was a one time fee for a few things to get set up.

I’ve heard good things from others about MD Toolbox, OnCallData, and allscripts but these are paid services.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m wary of free services but I use DrFirst which I think is the same as iPrescribe. People have had horrible customer service with them but I didn’t experience it and it was pretty easy to get set up. It’s not free for the PDMP in my state though and I believe there was a one time fee for a few things to get set up.

I’ve heard good things from others about MD Toolbox, OnCallData, and allscripts but these are paid services.
I prescribe isn't free for controlled subs. I looked it up.

While this doesn’t answer your question directly, I’ll warn you against going with a free product. I started with a free EMR that essentially was just for eRx and storing labs and uploading old paper charts. It was great, but the problem with a free product is that there is no money to sustain it.

The free product finally got enough users to sell it to finally make money. The new company jacked the rates high for a crap product. I was then stuck with all of my data in an overpriced spot. I had too many patients to transfer all of the data myself.

End result was paying thousands to move the data to a better product. In retrospect, I should have started paying low rates for a better product than going with the free option.

Reactions: 6 users
Don't go cheap on prescribing. You may have an emergency. Of course if the free program is great, go for it. I haven't used any free prescribing programs.

I can tell you, however, that I use Rcopia, and stuck with it despite that my EHR already has a prescribing program in it. Why do I pay an extra $500 a year? If I have a problem with the program and call customer service they fix it within moments 24/7 every day even Christmas. I had a patient who needed a medication and called them on X-Mas and they were on the spot and had everything in place that was needed within minutes. I complemented them and asked them why their customer service was so good.

They told me their program is used within hospitals and not just outpatient. So if their program crashes they cannot afford to be offline and must get everything fixed ASAP.

Off on the side, NEVER USE MEDIPRO. I used to use them for online billing.

Reactions: 1 user