Freshman entering UCI in September, start studying for MCAT VR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BiochemMaster

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a freshman entering UCI in September
HS graduation in 2 weeks :)
So I was thinking, I want to take the MCAT the summer before my junior year, so I think I want to read heavy literature and analyze it starting now, because it brought up all my older friends by 4 points minimum on the VR sections when they did it for several months. What are some good books to read? I like horror/mystery/comedy/action

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say relax and prepare for it when the time comes. When I first began university, I made it a habit to involve myself in politics. I didn't do it for the sake of the MCAT, but rather for my own enjoyment. You should do what you enjoy, not for the sake of the test. If there is one piece of advice I'd give myself back when I was entering freshman year it would be this: Make sure you have well-developed study habits. If there is anything you should be taking away from high school, it should be how to study. Don't underestimate the work load. It becomes so much easier to get into medical school when you have a competitive GPA.

Granted, I'm from Canada and I'd argue that it is more difficult to get into medical school here than it is in the U.S. given that we only have a small selection of schools (its not common for students to obtain more than one interview) and since a competitive GPA often hovers around a 3.9/4.

Good luck.

Spend your freshman + sophomore year on reading convoluted journals for verbal if you are not good with reading.

I am a freshman entering UCI in September
HS graduation in 2 weeks :)
So I was thinking, I want to take the MCAT the summer before my junior year, so I think I want to read heavy literature and analyze it starting now, because it brought up all my older friends by 4 points minimum on the VR sections when they did it for several months. What are some good books to read? I like horror/mystery/comedy/action
I would try to read some difficult books, like economics books such as The Wealth of Nations or philosophy books such as The Republic by Plato or some Aristotle. I personally am reading A Wealth of Nations as well as Critique of Pure Reason for the same reason as you; to develop reading skills for the MCAT. I feel myself having to reread sentences less and less. I have already read On the Interpretation of Dreams as well as a history tome by Will Durant (pulitzer-prize winning historian).

If you are looking for novels, I think you should try reading a few classics. They may be more interesting than you'd think. I hear that Don Quixote is pretty good - a wikipedia list of 100 best books of all time says that:
"The books selected by this process and listed here are not ranked or categorized in any way; the organizers have stated that "they are all on an equal footing," with the exception of Don Quixote which was given the distinction "best literary work ever written." The following list organizes the works alphabetically by author.[1]"
So Don Quixote must be a pretty great book. It has an interesting storyline; it's about an ingenious knight who wants to bring back the years of yore and chivalry. @NickNaylor, who scored a 15 on the MCAT VR, attributes his verbal success to his background in the "great books." I am not sure if he read more nonfiction than fiction or vice versa. Even if it doesn't increase your score (I personally believe it will, and according to my experience, almost all 15 VR's explicitly attribute their success to avid reading habits), you'll at least have learned something new, whether it be vocabulary or the book's content (in the case of expository works) or other language/thinking skills. I believe this method works best over a long period of time, which you seem to have. Be consistent and follow through on your plan to read; at least, that is the path that I would recommend.

By the way, just for a few more anecdotes. One ESL student on this board scored a perfect 15 on VR; he said that he read through every Economist magazine issue for a year. It is pretty challenging for ESL students to score this high. My personal friend, who is an avid reader (reads 3+ hours per day) scored a perfect on the SAT VR. He read many classic books, because his "genius" sister recommended him to do so. El Capone, who scored somewhere in the range of 39-43 (he didn't reveal his score) said that for VR, he read books and did a lot of TPR and EK practice. Bangbangbang, who scored 15 on VR, said that his secret to VR was "https://kindle.amazon.com, read, read read." Reading seems to be a common theme in the high VR-scoring MCATees (as well as for my friend, and I am sure many other SAT test takers). I would emphasize that I recommend you follow suit.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, read some challenging books in your spare time. I think it's more important for you to be involved on campus.
This post seems a bit ambivalent about the subject. Perhaps you should clarify your post so OP can be clear about what you'd recommend. I expect that you mean that the OP shouldn't trump his extracurricular time with reading, and should treat reading as an extra-extracurricular activity (as not his greatest priority).

This post seems a bit ambivalent about the subject. Perhaps you should clarify your post so OP can be clear about what you'd recommend. I expect that you mean that the OP shouldn't trump his extracurricular time with reading, and should treat reading as an extra-extracurricular activity (as not his greatest priority).

Eh? I think it's more important for OP to focus on being involved in campus as a freshman than it is to spend time 'studying' for MCAT verbal.

Reactions: 1 user
Eh? I think it's more important for OP to focus on being involved in campus as a freshman than it is to spend time 'studying' for MCAT verbal.
Yet you also "agree, read some challenging books in [your] spare time," which is somewhat against the philosophy of being involved as much as possible (you yourself implied this antagonism by saying that involvement is more important). This is why your post seemed a bit contradictory/unclear to me, because you weren't taking a clear stance for or against it; you were taking both stances. Which is why I somewhat wanted you to clarify the strength of the opposing forces which you mentioned, and clarify whether OP really should bother reading or not. Your quotation marks around "studying" also somewhat says to me that you might consider reading books as not really studying at all. So, as a person like OP, who is trying to read more in their spare time to maximize their VR score, it's hard for me to interpret what exactly your advice would be. Like I said, I assume that you only mean don't read at the expense of your extracurriculars.

So reading on one's spare time contradicts being involved on campus.

Got it. Thanks.
Why did you mention that extracurriculars are more important than reading if you didn't foresee some sort of antagonism between the two? If you didn't see any antagonistic connection between the two, then that seems like quite a random comparison. Why would you even mention that in this thread about the connection between reading and MCAT VR? Why would you say that you ambiguously think that OP should read challenging books and then shortly go on to say that "studying" (implying that reading isn't studying) for the VR isn't nearly as important as being involved, thus contradicting yourself on the value of reading books, and simultaneously implying a mutual exclusivism between the two? Man, I don't know why I had to be victim of your sarcasm. I was only unclear on what you had to say and requested clarity.

I think he meant that getting involved and EC's are just as important as studying for the MCAT or studying for classes, therefore EC's are not a "spare time" thing. And I think he is trying to say that reading is not studying but rather sharpening comprehension skills.

Reactions: 1 user
I think he meant that getting involved and EC's are just as important as studying for the MCAT or studying for classes, therefore EC's are not a "spare time" thing. And I think he is trying to say that reading is not studying but rather sharpening comprehension skills.
Reasonable enough. Your friends, by the way, have done (assuming they didn't exaggerate too much) something pretty impressive. Most people do not end up improving VR by 2 points, much less 4. Props to them.

GD I'm glad someone understood the point.