Freshman Year Trouble

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed32406

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a biochemistry/molecular biology major with a pre-med emphasis currently finishing up my freshman year at a small, private liberal arts college. I'm currently in a spot of trouble and need some advice.

During first semester, I was getting used to college (taking notes, studying differently, etc..) and got a 3.6. I was on the edge between an A and a B for two classes and I just missed the mark for both and got a B. Here is my transcript for first semester:
Gen Chem 1 B
Organismal Bio B
Biocalculus 1 A
Calculus with Analytics Lab A
Writing 101 A
Gen Chem 1 Lab A

After starting second semester, I was focused and doing well. Up to the middle of the semester I had all A's. Suddenly my father was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer and I missed a bunch of classes. I had to take him to chemotherapy and doctors' appointments etc..My situation completely turned around from good to bad. Suddenly I had a bunch of worries on my mind. With my brother being severely disabled and having to spend a lot of time taking care of him, my father being diagnosed only worsened my situation.

Now I find myself in finals and I have no idea what I'm doing. Here is what I expect my transcript to be for this semester:

Gen Chem 2 B or C..most likely C
Biology C
Biology Lab B
Gen chem 2 Lab A
Biocalculus 2 B
Research Writing in Science A

This means my gpa will be below 3.0.

My question is this: how will this affect my med school apps? Will I be able to get in anywhere? I'm pretty much freaking out now. I'll be taking anatomy+lab over the summer because I won't be able to fit it in my regular schedule. I'm confident I'll get an A because its one class and won't interfere with my responsibility to my family. My father is doing better and the situation has brightened. I only took 15 credits first semester and 15 second semester. I'm planning on taking 18 from now on each semester. I'm sure I'll be able to pull of a 4.0 this fall and spring semester. How much will this one bad semester affect me? I would be thankful of any advice you can offer me!

Members don't see this ad.

You are Freshman. You have nothing to worry about. One semester of mediocre grades won't kill your chances. Learn from your mistake and move on. You still have three more years to bring your GPA up. If you were a senior and you had a 3.0 you would be in trouble, but this is not the case.

That's not even a "mistake". Adcom's not only are understanding of these kinds of things but many look favorably on the fact that you had to overcome this significant obstacle, especially because it pertains to medicine (both your father and your disabled brother) - even more so if one of the reasons you want to pursue a career in medicine is related to things you have realized during this obstacle (observing great care, feeling a calling while caring for your brother and father, etc). If you get >3.0 next semester, and then back up to 3.6 like you had in subsequent semesters, it will be like it never happened (or better).

I really appreciate your advice! My brother is actually the main reason I want to become a doctor and the situation I'm currently in has only strengthened my desire. Thank you WilsonFan! And thank you Noggin!