Fresno State University, CA ???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

debimags

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone out there attend Fresno State's MPT program? If so, what did you think?

It seems like a good deal for someone that is coming from a very different background and trying to get into PT. You apply with about half the pre-reqs other schools require, do one year there of pre-pt courses (the rest of the pre-reqs basically) then finish the last 2 years doing your MPT. I personally think thats a pretty good deal. But I'm curious what others think of that, as well as Fresno State.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently completed my last year of the MPT program after graduating with my Bachelors in Exercise Science at Brigham Young University. I had to complete the year of pre-professional course which consist of two semesters (Fall and Spring) and then you have the whole Summer from the end of May to the end of August to work. They currentky are offering a transistion DPT through UCSF and I plan on completing that 9 month program next year directly after completing my two back to back 9 week externships. Overall I have been very pleased with the preparation I had coming into the program and have felt comfortable completing my first 8 week summer clinical without much difficulty. We have a Gait Balance ans Mobility Clinic that the students run on campus for patients from the community and own faculty have a strong foundation in Neurology and Balance. I will be working under my department chair this year to begin a research project that I will be able to continue with next as part of my DPT. Since the addition of the DPT the faculty is spread a little thinner and the class size is now 20 instead of 40 to accommodate for the extra year of DPT courses being taught. Tuition for the MPT is probably the best deal anywhere and when you combine that with the cost of the DPT at $8,000/qurter for 3 quarters, that not bad. Total tuition cost for the MPT with the pre-professional year included is about $12,000. So the total cost for tuition for the MPT and DPT would be about $36,000. That is a much better deal than most DPT programs that average atleast $20,000/year for 3 to 4 years. Plus you can work your first summer and first two winter breaks of about 4 weeks and then 4 weeks of your second summer. As a DPT student the classes are mostly in the evenings and on the weekends and you can sit for your Boards Exam as early as October and become licensed to work as a PT 2-3 days a week while you are completing the 9 month DPT program.

I hope this information was helpful. If you are already in a PT Program or are interested in one take advantage of attending the American Physical Therapy Association National Student Conclave that will be held in San Jose, CA in downtown at the Fairmont Hotel October 17-19,2008. You can register online at the following link:

http://www.apta.org/AM/Template.cfm...ggedPageDisplay.cfm&TPLID=153&ContentID=27253

I am this years National Student Conclave Representative and will also be running as a candidate for the Student Physical Therapist Student Delegate Position. I ran for President last year and am looking forward to another exciting year.

Thanks for the interest in Fresno State PT Program,

Ben Nichols, SPT
Class of '09 President
NSC Representative
Candidate for Student Delegate

There's a guy strutting around here telling everyone that daddy is making a big donation to the PT school, so he's in. Nepotism is disgusting.

There's a guy strutting around here telling everyone that daddy is making a big donation to the PT school, so he's in. Nepotism is disgusting.

elaborate.

sounds like a USC-type deal.