Friend got expelled from College?? How to remedy this? Please anyone help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AntiKarateKid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend made some stupid mistakes listening to his peers with a cheating trick. He is appealing the school expulsion ruling. He says the plans on transferring colleges, carrying over his credits and starting again.

Please. If theres any advice on how to turn this around and EVENTUALLY apply to med school/DO what should he do? He's a good kid, this has never happened before.

Members don't see this ad.

Regardless of if he finds a way to be reinstated (even if not at his home institution) he will be fighting a steep uphill battle with an academic dishonesty blemish on his transcript.

Dude you made the choice to cheat, you have to deal with the consequences. It won't look good, but it's not like you're banned from applying to med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Regardless of if he finds a way to be reinstated (even if not at his home institution) he will be fighting a steep uphill battle with an academic dishonesty blemish on his transcript.

Truth. For all admissions purposes, you're friend might as well pin a scarlet letter to his transcript.

Is any other institution going to take him with that on his record?

He might have to start over again at a CC. Unfortunately, I have heard of people who have had to do this, and it's not pretty.

I feel like the only thing to do in this situation is to start over wherever he can, and to make sure he does something anti-cheating/academic honesty related that will show adcoms that he has grown as an individual and learned from this particular mistake. This way, if he is able to get an interview, when they ask him what happened, he can say that he made an unfortunate mistake, but that he has learned from it has done yadda yadda yadda since (basically backing up the fact that he has learned from this mistake). Does that make sense?

tell him to set up an account and ask questions himself. What's with all those "a friend of mine is thinking of going to Caribbean, should I stop him/her" threads. Do they have no time to post questions themselves?

tell him to set up an account and ask questions himself. What's with all those "a friend of mine is thinking of going to Caribbean, should I stop him/her" threads. Do they have no time to post questions themselves?

Dude, you most likely very well know that this guy may be asking about himself.

Or he is legitimately asking about his friend.

Or he is trolling.

The reason someone would ask a question of: "Oh this happened to my friend, what should I do?" instead of: "Oh this happened to me, what should I do?" is because a) they may be embarrassed to admit what they did or b) they don't want to be personally hated on in the forum.

Unless the person is for sure trolling, I don't think it's fair to be negative to someone for asking advice regarding their "friend" who is in a sticky situation. Who knows--you might one day find yourself in their shoes, not wanting to admit in a public forum (even as an anonymous user) that you're really asking for advice about your sticky situation.

Btw, sure, I realize this guy could be trolling, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt at the moment, which is why I made a serious response.

What makes you think they aren't posting these questions themselves?

I find the level of your ignorance astounding. That thread was made by me and it was a legit question/scenario. Your question makes no sense whatsoever. Why would my friend have to make the thread? She is set on going there and I am the one wondering if it is the right decision. I am the one who asked the question so I made the thread. Is it really that hard to understand? Your reading comprehension and logical thinking really leave much to be desired.

I think that cheating speaks volumes about your character, and that your friend should really reconsider career choices. Cheating in college seems like a serious predisposition to make similar poor choices in the future. If someone is OK with cheating, deep down in their psyche, they may be OK with even more substantial breaches of ethics, character, and the law. A person like this should not be in the field of medicine. There is a very real chance that this person could make a similar mistake in med school, and be kicked out with tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars in loans. Or even worse, you could go through med school and residency, only to have a lapse in good judgement, and lose your license completely. Schools have very good reason to take this stuff very seriously, cuz they may be doing the applicant a favor by preventing them from making bigger, more costly mistakes in the future.

Your friend needs to be thinking about different careers honestly. You don't choose medicine, medicine chooses you. If you lack the qualities for this to happen, its time to move on.

It's game over, sorry. Your friends only option now is Carib medical school.

Your friend needs to be thinking about different careers honestly. You don't choose medicine, medicine chooses you. If you lack the qualities for this to happen, its time to move on.

Not that I disagree with everything else that you've said, but wut lol? This is such a corny line, I don't even...

If he transfers and starts over fresh, does that erase any trace of his previous transcript?

Expulsion is the most profound punishment a school has in its arsenal. Frankly, I suspect that anyone expelled from undergrad for cheating is toast when it comes to admission to an US medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not that I disagree with everything else that you've said, but wut lol? This is such a corny line, I don't even...
Yea it gave me a laugh. I don't understand why some people try to make medicine out to be some sacred profession that only the best of humans are selected. It's a profession like any other profession. Who ever heard of "you don't choose engineer, engineer chooses you."?

Yea it gave me a laugh. I don't understand why some people try to make medicine out to be some sacred profession that only the best of humans are selected. It's a profession like any other profession. Who ever heard of "you don't choose engineer, engineer chooses you."?

The wand chooses the wizard Mr. Potter.

My friend made some stupid mistakes listening to his peers with a cheating trick. He is appealing the school expulsion ruling. He says the plans on transferring colleges, carrying over his credits and starting again.

Please. If theres any advice on how to turn this around and EVENTUALLY apply to med school/DO what should he do? He's a good kid, this has never happened before.

I would suggest he hire an attorney to help him deal with this. He must fight this at all cost - because this kind of IA is a kiss of death even for the caribbean.

There are no other professions like medicine. You are literally the gatekeeper between life and death. No other field has such a serious mission. Being a doctor is much more than a job. It is a position in society, and a responsibility that does not end when your shift does. There is no other profession held to such high standards that requires so many abilities.

You are essentially asking how your friend who got caught cheating can work the system so that s/he doesn't need to be held responsible for the consequences of their actions.

I don't know what kind of advice you think you can really find, as the answer will be the same everywhere.

I think what people are saying (and I would have to agree with is) MAN UP! OP, if you cheated, don't try and cast this off on a friend. And if your friend was the one who cheated, encourage him to ask the question himself. Frankly, if there were going to be grace extended to someone in a situation like this, it would be after the person had obviously taken ownership of his actions and done quite a bit of work to show he has grown from that. (He cannot "prove" he is not a cheater at this point. He IS a cheater. That has been demonstrated. What he can show is that he has grown from that and is developing integrity.)

Expulsion is the most profound punishment a school has in its arsenal. Frankly, I suspect that anyone expelled from undergrad for cheating is toast when it comes to admission to an US medical school.

This. Honestly, even getting back into an undergrad program is almost impossible after being expelled. EVERY school I've applied to has had a question on the application asking if you've been previously dismissed and typically policy is to auto-reject any applicant who states they have been dismissed (or is found to have been dismissed) for academic dishonesty. OP, your friend is toast. It's over -- especially if this person is not man enough to confront what happened head on, take ownership of his actions, and correct his wrongdoing.

There are no other professions like medicine. You are literally the gatekeeper between life and death.
I don't really agree with this, but that's a matter of opinion. What I would caution you on, however, is that many physicians develop a "God complex" (and patients generally don't respond well to it). If you want to view yourself as the gatekeeper between life and death, that's your business, but make sure not to get a big head over it. (I'm not remarking on how you are at the moment, since I don't know you - just giving a warning to be careful about it.)

There are no other professions like medicine. You are literally the gatekeeper between life and death. No other field has such a serious mission. Being a doctor is much more than a job. It is a position in society, and a responsibility that does not end when your shift does. There is no other profession held to such high standards that requires so many abilities.

I think there are many other professions like this which fit this description in some way. No, really... there are a bunch of positions/occupations with missions which are more important than a single doctor any day.

But seriously, lay off the kool-aid and or dope.

Or he is legitimately asking about his friend.

Or he is trolling.

The reason someone would ask a question of: "Oh this happened to my friend, what should I do?" instead of: "Oh this happened to me, what should I do?" is because a) they may be embarrassed to admit what they did or b) they don't want to be personally hated on in the forum.

This is why we have the Confidential Consult board in the Interdisciplinary sub-forum. It eliminates any sort of fear of feeling embarrassed when it comes to asking questions of this nature. OP could've just as easily used this board instead of asking questions and playing off his "friend" as the victim when, clearly, they were about himself. >.<

You don't choose medicine, medicine chooses you.

lolwut? :lol:

Are you a med student? Have you had multiple professions? Because this post suggests no. Medicine is not like any other profession. Which of your non-medical friends or family members need to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in professional insurance like obstetricians? How many train for 4 years past college and 3-7 years past that for the ability to work in their field?

There are boatloads of people trying to get into this profession. When looking down a list of applicants, all of whom are amazing, adcoms don't pick out the cheaters and say "let's give the kid another shot." They're going to pick out the ones who don't exhibit unattractive characteristics.

Yes, it can be dramatized quite a bit, but the exact opposite approach of equating it to any other job is foolish.

I think there are many other professions like this which fit this description in some way. No, really... there are a bunch of positions/occupations with missions which are more important than a single doctor any day.

But seriously, lay off the kool-aid and or dope.
yeah I agree he is a bit dramatic, but mind being a bit more concrete by providing examples?

There are no other professions like medicine. You are literally the gatekeeper between life and death.
I can assure you the amount of doctors who fancy themselves as such, or have the ability to actually be the "gatekeeper," are not many so you can't make that blanket statement about the entire profession.

No other field has such a serious mission.
Debatable. What about the soldiers who protect the freedom you are enjoying? That is also a very serious mission.

There is no other profession held to such high standards that requires so many abilities.
Politicians are held to a higher moral standards than even doctors. A bad divorce can end their careers.

By all means please drop that "you don't choose medicine, medicine chooses you" line at interviews. One more spot will be available to other people.

yeah I agree he is a bit dramatic, but mind being a bit more concrete by providing examples?

A truck driver. If he doesn't drive his truck to a town people starve. I mean they have an extremely important mission, and without them our entire system would fall apart. I mean lets say a gas truck misses a station? No gas for thousands of people which leads to mass effect. They are obviously an integral part of our society, and the truck chooses the driver.

See what I did there? Everyone has a position in this world with extreme effect. Underplaying other careers importance in relative comparison to medicine is just naive.

Are you a med student? Have you had multiple professions? Because this post suggests no. Medicine is not like any other profession. Which of your non-medical friends or family members need to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in professional insurance like obstetricians? How many train for 4 years past college and 3-7 years past that for the ability to work in their field?
Yes I have worked a variety of jobs through college to support myself but what does that have to do with anything? You totally misunderstand my post. ]
Of course if you compare the training then no other profession is the same. But to suggest there is some sort of holiness associated with it is obviously over the top. Yes medicine carries responsibilities but the guy was making doctors to be some sort of God's messenger that need to be chosen. It's a profession for people who are passionate about helping people protect their lives and it is honorable but being sacred and "need to be chosen" are not it.

This seems pointless. Even if Serenade comes up with a list and gives examples, you (or someone else who feels that medicine is hands-down the most noble and important profession in the world) will either discount certain points or find ways to elevate medicine above them. It's a matter of opinion.

What isn't a matter of opinion is the fact that all professions are valuable to society. We in medicine can't function without road workers who keep our roads maintained, nor truck drivers who deliver our medical supplies, nor farmers who supply our food, and so on. Our training may be harder, longer, more expensive, and more demanding; the work may also be more demanding and require a greater personal investment than most other professions; it's fine to take pride in all of that. But recognize that other professions are valuable (and in many cases, essential) to society, even if they're paid less and don't have fancy degrees after their names.

Discussions of "which is better than the other" are pointless, subjective, and just offend people.

Politicians are held to a higher moral standards than even doctors

GDLtj.gif

Note: I just wanted to post this new GIF I found. I have nothing to add to this discussion.

Soldiers?! This is your counter-example? If all the soldiers in the world disappeared tomorrow, the average life expectancy would increase. You run the parallel with doctors. If a soldier cheated in college does it matter to their career? If a soldier subsequently performs a less-than-ethical act do they get sued? Do they lose their ability to be a soldier? Does it even make the news? Is this really your counter-example?

Then you go to politicians? Are you really trying to compare politicians to doctors? Put moral standards aside. How about professional standards? What do you think would happen if doctors lied as much as politicians? When was the last time people died because a politician had a bad divorce?

Again, I agree he's being dramatic, but you are too now.

I don't really agree with this, but that's a matter of opinion. What I would caution you on, however, is that many physicians develop a "God complex"

I kind of already have one :laugh:

This seems pointless. Even if Serenade comes up with a list and gives examples, you (or someone else who feels that medicine is hands-down the most noble and important profession in the world) will either discount certain points or find ways to elevate medicine above them. It's a matter of opinion.

What isn't a matter of opinion is the fact that all professions are valuable to society. We in medicine can't function without road workers who keep our roads maintained, nor truck drivers who deliver our medical supplies, nor farmers who supply our food, and so on. Our training may be harder, longer, more expensive, and more demanding; the work may also be more demanding and require a greater personal investment than most other professions; it's fine to take pride in all of that. But recognize that other professions are valuable (and in many cases, essential) to society, even if they're paid less and don't have fancy degrees after their names.

Discussions of "which is better than the other" are pointless, subjective, and just offend people.

Soldiers?! This is your counter-example? If all the soldiers in the world disappeared tomorrow, the average life expectancy would increase. You run the parallel with doctors. If a soldier cheated in college does it matter to their career? If a soldier subsequently performs a less-than-ethical act do they get sued? Do they lose their ability to be a soldier? Does it even make the news? Is this really your counter-example?

Then you go to politicians? Are you really trying to compare politicians to doctors? Put moral standards aside. How about professional standards? What do you think would happen if doctors lied as much as politicians? When was the last time people died because a politician had a bad divorce?

Again, I agree he's being dramatic, but you are too now.

Excellent call Velocity

Guys what if he starts over, does well in his classes, gets good Ec and applies to carribbean or DO?

Yes I have worked a variety of jobs through college to support myself but what does that have to do with anything? You totally misunderstand my post. ]
Of course if you compare the training then no other profession is the same. But to suggest there is some sort of holiness associated with it is obviously over the top. Yes medicine carries responsibilities but the guy was making doctors to be some sort of God's messenger that need to be chosen. It's a profession for people who are passionate about helping people protect their lives and it is honorable but being sacred and "need to be chosen" are not it.
I take it by your avoidance of the question that you're not in medicine yet. Working a few part time jobs during college does not make a career. It makes pocket change. Again, I agree with you in that his message seemed over the top epic-biblical. The requirement to gain entrance to the profession is not simply being passionate about helping people. If that were the case, this entire forum, specifically the non-trad and reapplication threads, would not be needed. There are incredibly high professional standards which are expected. Failing to meet them results in failure to gain entrance to the profession.

What isn't a matter of opinion is the fact that all professions are valuable to society.
I agree. All professions are valuable to society, else they wouldn't exist. That's not the point of this thread. If it were, you would be correct in saying it's all a matter of opinion. The point is how certain careers require higher professional standards such as not-cheating. I would hardly brush that off as opinion.

Allow me to demonstrate my point with direct comparison. Do you want a surgeon who has an impeccable track record or one who has several lawsuits, a crack addiction, and a threat to lose his medical license?

I agree. All professions are valuable to society, else they wouldn't exist. That's not the point of this thread. If it were, you would be correct in saying it's all a matter of opinion. The point is how certain careers require higher professional standards such as not-cheating. I would hardly brush that off as opinion.

Allow me to demonstrate my point with direct comparison. Do you want a surgeon who has an impeccable track record or one who has several lawsuits, a crack addiction, and a threat to lose his medical license?

I don't think I want a crack-head truck driver either. He might enter a manic state and slam into a gas station and kill everyone within 500 feet.

I can assure you the amount of doctors who fancy themselves as such, or have the ability to actually be the "gatekeeper," are not many so you can't make that blanket statement about the entire profession.

Debatable. What about the soldiers who protect the freedom you are enjoying? That is also a very serious mission.

Politicians are held to a higher moral standards than even doctors. A bad divorce can end their careers.

By all means please drop that "you don't choose medicine, medicine chooses you" line at interviews. One more spot will be available to other people.

the soldiers who protect the freedom you are enjoying
politicians are held to a higher moral standard
:laugh: good one man

There are many laws and rules governing the practice of medicine and there are many opportunities to cheat. Physicians have the power to write prescriptions for "controlled substances" that have value in treating disease but even greater value "on the street". For some, there is a temptation to make an easy buck by prescribing drugs that will be diverted. For others, the temptation is to use drugs illegally themselves and in some cases to divert drugs earmarked for patients to feed their own addiction.

There are financial crimes of opportunity in medicine that involve billing third parties for services not provided or for an exaggeration of the service provided.
There is the cheating of the facts in the medical record... underestimates of blood loss, back dating entries (harder now with the electronic record) to cover-up misdeeds and cutting corners to save time or to save a buck or performing services of questionable value in order to increase revenue.

There is the misuse of power such as supplying "doctors' notes" that are not supported by the facts (I've seen wealthy patients ask for these in order to get a refund on an expensive airline ticket for a reason unrelated to health-- no doubt the patient would find a way to express his thanks to the doctor. ;))

Besides not wanting a "convicted" cheater in an academic setting, there are solid reasons for not wanting a cheater in the medical profession. The adcom is the gatekeeper and the goal is to provide society with the next generation of physicians and protect society from the harm that could come from a doctor who cheats the system.

I take it by your avoidance of the question that you're not in medicine yet. Working a few part time jobs during college does not make a career. It makes pocket change. Again, I agree with you in that his message seemed over the top epic-biblical. The requirement to gain entrance to the profession is not simply being passionate about helping people. If that were the case, this entire forum, specifically the non-trad and reapplication threads, would not be needed. There are incredibly high professional standards which are expected. Failing to meet them results in failure to gain entrance to the profession.

I didn't avoid anything. I made threads asking questions in the pre allo forum then obviously I am applying this year. But what does that have to do with anything? Yes I made pocket change while in college but that doesn't mean I don't know what it is like to work in other professions. I am still making pocket change now as a junior accountant. I found your use of pocket change very offensive to me personally and to the working class as a whole.

The requirement to gain entrance to the profession is not simply being passionate about helping people. If that were the case, this entire forum, specifically the non-trad and reapplication threads, would not be needed.
When did I imply the requirement to get in medicine is simply being passionate about helping people? Even an idiot knows it takes more than that. You just misunderstood my post and made some pointless argument.

I was not saying with a repulsion OP's friend should have a shot. I have no opinion on the matter. My point is that some people think "you don't choose medicine, medicine chooses you" and they are being overtly dramatic. You seem to get the idea that I am saying since medicine is like any other profession therefore people with repulsion should be able to get in. That is NOT what I am saying.

Last edited:
I don't think I want a crack-head truck driver either. He might enter a manic state and slam into a gas station and kill everyone within 500 feet.
Yes. Because we hear about crack causing manic truck drivers to hit gas stations on the news every so often. Remind me how much truck driver malpractice insurance costs? You're grasping at straws.

I didn't avoid anything. I made threads asking questions in the pre allo forum then obviously I am applying this year. But what does that have to do with anything? Yes I made pocket change while in college but that doesn't mean I don't know what it is like to work in other professions. I am still making pocket change now as a junior accountant. I found your use of pocket change very offensive to me personally and to the working class as a whole.
You were offended because I shot down your argument and you are incorrectly displacing that negative emotion to a misinterpretation. Pocket change referred to the income college kids make working part time jobs. It does not refer to the working class.

What is has to do with anything is that you have not had the opportunity to work in a professional career yet. You referred to medicine as any other profession when you have minimal first hand knowledge on the topic, having neither a medical nor any other full time career. If a doctor decides to miss a day of work or come in very late, people suffer for it. What happens when you come in late to your junior accounting job?

That's not to say that accounting is not valuable to this society, but rather that medicine is held to greater professional standards. Doctors don't have the same luxuries as sick days, lunch breaks, and 40 hour work weeks like most lay people because the professional standards are different.

I don't think my gate keeper analogy is over the top. It is the main job of a doctor, to save people's lives. It's not a god complex, its the central duty of a doctor.

Guys please stop debating. This is important to me. Yes my friend made a mistake (believe it or not it really is my friend). But I know his character and saying he should give up on life because of this one mistake is ridiculous.

Now please tell me, even the nice adcom who responded, if he works hard with a ton of ECs like hundreds of volunteer hours, 3.5+ gpa, 30+ mcat, and letters of rec vouching for him,

is it possible for him to get into a carribean school?

Yes. Because we hear about crack causing manic truck drivers to hit gas stations on the news every so often. Remind me how much truck driver malpractice insurance costs? You're grasping at straws.

I'm grasping at straws? Kettle calls the pot black.
Obviously every doctor is getting sued and on the news.

Guys please stop debating. This is important to me. Yes my friend made a mistake (believe it or not it really is my friend). But I know his character and saying he should give up on life because of this one mistake is ridiculous.

Now please tell me, even the nice adcom who responded, if he works hard with a ton of ECs like hundreds of volunteer hours, 3.5+ gpa, 30+ mcat, and letters of rec vouching for him,

is it possible for him to get into a carribean school?

Yes, he'll get into a Carib school, but he's probably going to find it very difficult or impossible to even find a single college that will accept him and let him finish his degree.

Yes, tons and tons of professions are important to society, but in my post, I am gauging their relevance to the most basic of necessities: being alive. I am a huge patriot, and the mission of our troops is extremely important, but if someone is not alive, they cannot enjoy the freedom that the soldiers are fighting for. What would you rather be, dead, but from a free country, or alive, living under a dictator? I think you will choose alive.

Just like the truck driver, he does an important job, obviously. But if there were no truck drivers, life could still go on. Sure, it may be harder to buy food, and many aspects of your life would be more difficult, but you would still be alive. I could go on with any profession. If you are dead, nothing else matters. Being alive is one's biggest priority. And that's where doctors come in. Simple.

This is not one little mistake. He didn't show up late to the MCAT. He didn't get picked up by campus police for intoxication. He cheated academically. This is a huge mistake, and there's no reason anyone would even need to believe this is the only time he's done it. This only shows that he got caught, and it was bad enough to get expelled, which is the worst possible punishment a school can give.

Saying you know his character tells me you are fooling yourself. It's like the parent in denial who tells the principle "no not my kid! my kid is wonderful and would never do something like that!" Except he did. You can't claim his character is one that doesn't cheat academically.

The reverse of this is that he doesn't need to give up his life. Academic dismissal is not grounds for suicide. He's just in a bad place right now, and will need to work hard to regain his chances at a different career, which can still be related to medicine. If you want to help him, the first thing you need to do is accept the situation for what it is, and then take the steps needed to repair some of the damage. I would recommend the first part of that would be to complete his bachelors in any way possible, and the reconsider his options for any type of graduate degree.

I'm grasping at straws? Kettle calls the pot black.
Obviously every doctor is getting sued and on the news.
Except..... doctors do get sued. It's why they have insurance for that very reason, sometimes upwards of $200,000 per year. Are you still actually trying to argue that the professional standards of a truck driver are equivalent to a doctor?

OP, your question is stupid, cuz your friend is F'ed. Period. We have established that. Your thread was hijacked cuz your problem was solved. He will be lucky to get into the carib, and he will pay for his mistake for the rest of his life. You won't get any sympathy. SDN, and med schools are full of people who have worked hard and been honest to get where they are. People who try to take advantage of people like this, and get a free ride off their hard work, are going to going to be despised.

You were offended because I shot down your argument and you are incorrectly displacing that negative emotion to a misinterpretation. Pocket change referred to the income college kids make working part time jobs. It does not refer to the working class.

That's not to say that accounting is not valuable to this society, but rather that medicine is held to greater professional standards. Doctors don't have the same luxuries as sick days, lunch breaks, and 40 hour work weeks like most lay people because the professional standards are different.

I don't think you even understand what my argument was to aim at it let alone shoot it down. When I said "like any other profession" in the context of my original post it was to say there is nothing sacred or need to be chosen for it as some guy said. That's all there is to it. You misunderstood and went on saying things like high professional standards, the amount of training to be a doctor are different and you even cited the amount of money people pay for medical care. What does that have to do with what I said about medicine not being sacred or "need to be chosen"? And all this time you thought you were forming some excellent arguments. Read my first post again.