Friendly OOS Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSUSpartan642

GO GREEN!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which Osteopathic schools are more friendly to OOS students. Im from Michigan so of course I'm going to apply to MSUCOM, but Im trying to look at which other schools I might be able to consider. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

most of them are private, which means that they will be OOS friendly.

most of them are private, which means that they will be OOS friendly.

Yes and no. It's really not that simple. NYCOM, for instance, is a private institution, yet it is quite biased against OOS applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which Osteopathic schools are more friendly to OOS students. Im from Michigan so of course I'm going to apply to MSUCOM, but Im trying to look at which other schools I might be able to consider. thanks.

Great question, I am also curious. I think a wise applicant will avoid applying to schools that only accept 10-20% OOS students unless they really want to go there. There must be a list compiled somewhere that answers this question readily...

I know UNECOM is slightly biased towards applicants from the New England States (NH, VT, ME, MA, RI, CT) and around 60% of the class comes from those states.

VCOM is "biased" towards Appalachia but will consider others outside of the area. There are 2013'ers that aren't Appalachia at all.

Appalachia doesn't necessarily mean the Appalachians run through your area, either. ;)

Yes and no. It's really not that simple. NYCOM, for instance, is a private institution, yet it is quite biased against OOS applicants.

It was a general statement. If the OP wants more specifics, then he/she can take the 5 seconds to google search a schools website.

edit: i couldnt find anywhere on NYCOMs website or in the CIB that says they have a favor for NY residents. What does "quite biased" in terms percent OOS and IS? Is it like some of the UCs where greater than 95% of peoplel come from CA? There could be just be a difference in that a majority of their applicants come from NY and not so much that they have a bias for them eg that you are at a disadvantage if you are from another state.

Last edited:
VCOM is "biased" towards Appalachia but will consider others outside of the area. There are 2013'ers that aren't Appalachia at all.

Appalachia doesn't necessarily mean the Appalachians run through your area, either. ;)

DCOM is similar in mission yet there are still many from places like Chicago, California, Texas, etc.

I know UNECOM is slightly biased towards applicants from the New England States (NH, VT, ME, MA, RI, CT) and around 60% of the class comes from those states.

Yeah but when you look at statistics like that, you have to keep in mind the fact that a greater percentage of the applicants are probably from the NE states, as you're more likely to apply somewhere in your geographic location. So yeah maybe most of the class is in NE states, but probably a lot more applicants from NH or VT than Oregon.

It was a general statement. If the OP wants more specifics, then he/she can take the 5 seconds to google search a schools website.

edit: i couldnt find anywhere on NYCOMs website or in the CIB that says they have a favor for NY residents. What does "quite biased" in terms percent OOS and IS? Is it like some of the UCs where greater than 95% of peoplel come from CA? There could be just be a difference in that a majority of their applicants come from NY and not so much that they have a bias for them eg that you are at a disadvantage if you are from another state.

I don't know the exact percentages, but I do know there is a definite bias. For example, they start giving interview invites to anyone OOS a month after they give interview invites to those IS. A current student there would be able to shed more light on this.

And I wasn't trying to disprove your statement; in general, it's true. I just wanted to let the OP know that private =/= OOS-friendly.

We were told that the LECOM-Erie student breakdown is 70% OOS and 30% IS. Probably because of the low(er) OOS tuition... only about $1300 more.