From RN to MD...haunted by freshman year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KLeigh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I was very excited when I found this forum, because I have had a very tough time finding other people who are in situations similar to my own. The one other forum I joined had about 3 postings under the "non-traditional students" heading, which were followed up with very rude, discouraging comments. Everyone seems to be so friendly here, so I decided to share my situation and seek some comments or advice.

I am currently a 25 y/o female with a bachelor's degree in nursing (RN, BSN), working as a registered nurse in clinical research (at a university hospital). I started college in 1997 as a pre-med student, but I changed my major to nursing my sophomore year, not because I wanted to be a nurse, but because I did not put enough effort into my studies during my first year and my grades were not good (admittedly, this was because I was not taking school as seriously as I should have been). However, I showed extreme improvement, and my junior and senior years were my busiest as well as my most successful (I was on the dean's list during those years, w/a gpa of 3.7). I was taking 18 semester hours, working 25+ hours a week in a hospital as a nurse's aide, and volunteering at Children's Hospital. I also landed an internship with an organic chemistry prof and received a grant to do research with him, which resulted in my authoring a publication in a scientific journal. That was ironic, considering I got a D in my first semester of o-chem, which I took my sophomore year (and which I am now retaking).

After earning my RN license, I worked on a medical-surgical nursing unit for one year, and have been working as a research nurse for about 2-and-a-half years, at the University of CA, San Diego. I have also been taking pre-med classes there, because there has not been a single second that the dream of being a doctor has left my mind. I have always had an unbelievable passion for medicine, and being a doctor has always been my goal (I saw nursing as my stepping-stone profession). Every day I regret having goofed off my freshman (and early sophomore) years, and I worry that nothing can be done to make up for those low grades.

At the University of California, San Diego, I have taken calculus, general biology, re-taken general chemistry, and am planning to retake physics and o-chem. Currently, I have a gpa of 3.75 at UCSD. However, my graduating gpa from my previous college was 2.93. So, after all that rambling I just did, I guess what I am asking is what you guys think my chances might be of getting into medical school (I am talking allopathic, MD). :confused:

I talked to a pre-med advisor at UCSD, and he said if I apply to 20-25 schools, he thinks I will be accepted to a couple, but that if I am not accepted my first time around, I have probably exhausted my resources and would likely not ever be accepted. Since I have not yet taken the MCAT, I guess it is tough to know how I'd do, but I do take tests well, and have done well on practice MCATs. And, despite what the advisor said, I think I will continue to try until I am 94 years old to get into medical school ( :laugh: okay maybe not that long, but this is what I live for, this is what I want more than anything in the world!!).

Sorry for the long-winded message up there! If anyone has a similar situation to this, or any advice or comments, I'd love to hear what you have to say. Thanks!
Oh yeah, also, I was wondering about letters of recommendation...since it has been about 4 years since I worked with my organic chem prof on my research (I've even moved to a different state), would it be weird for me to dig up his number and contact him for a letter of rec?

Members don't see this ad.

First, never listen to pre-med counselors, they are full of s__t. You have a good chance in my opinion. You would be a strong candidate for several reasons, 1. you improved every year past your sophmore year, 2. you have a medical related degree with direct patient contact, 3. you have what sounds like great research experience which I think is highly valued in most allopathic programs. If you rock the mcat (30) you should do well. The only other advice would be that if for some bizarre reason you did not get in I would think about a masters degree, but really I think your a shoe-in with your experience. Good luck.

Absolutely do not give up if you don't get in on the first try. I have friends who applied twice with the same exact credentials and got into places they didn't the first time. One was even asked by her interviewer "why didn't we admit you the first time?" As if she would know.

A post-bacc program might be something that would be beneficial for you. I suggest you take a hop over to the post-bacc forum and check out some of the threads there as well. There's a "Low-GPA" thread that should give you a bit of hope.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for the feedback! That was very helpful. Also, thank you, amk25a, for the info about the letter of rec and about the recent activity info. You are correct that being a clinical research nurse doesn't involve data analysis (but it does involve data collection). And it is very true that the patient care is not nearly as intense as it used to be on the other hospital floors.

I do, however, still work in the hospital, carrying out the research studies. Mostly the work involved is basic med-surg work, but it is still patient care, and I do things like IV insertions/infusions, NG/NE tube insertion and care (suctioning, med admin via tube or IV, etc), wound care, assisting MDs with procedures such as lumbar punctures or muscle biopsies, etc., so I haven't completely lost touch with the clinical aspect. Also, I am ACLS certified, and make sure to keep up with nursing continuing education related to clincal skills. But I have wondered to myself if I should leave this current job and go to another, more medically intense unit within the hospital. The reason I decided against it is because of the prestige of the research unit on which I work. For example, you know the disease Lesch-Nyhan's disease? I work with the Dr. Nyhan after whom the disease was named, and carry out his reseach studies. Also, the research center is within UCSD, which is my first choice of medical schools, so I thought it would be helpful to stay here. But it is true that I am in no position to be named on a publication, as I was when I worked with the other professor. In that case, I was listed as a secondary author, and that's not going to happen nowadays, since I am not involved intimately enough with any specific research protocol. However, I may be able to talk with some of the coordinators with whom I work, and ask them about any openings in specific studies. Do you think that would be more helpful? Any advice about whether I should change units within the hospital to, say, the ER or something? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks again!

Hi there,
Since your total GPA is a hair on the low side, be sure to have your application include all of your research experience. Needless to say, you really have to do fairly well on the MCAT. Any paper that has your name on it is good to list on your application. It does not really matter if you are not the first author. Your reseach experience is and will be invaluable to you.

Take your time and really prepare for the MCAT. This is going to be the great equalizer for you. A good score here will more than demonstrate that you can handle the medical school curriculum and put you into the competitive ranks.

Another thing that you might look into is getting some professional medical admissions counseling. Judy Colwell (do a web search for her company) is a professional admissions counselor(formerly a member of the admissions committee at Stanford University Medical School) who will help you at every step along the way. She can make sure that your application is as competitive as possible. She can also advise you on selecting schools that would be a good match for you. Her services are not cheap but she is worth every penny that you pay for her services.

Good luck
njbmd :)

P.S. If you are near the Washington, DC area the weekend of June 9-12, 2005, you can attend the annual Conference of the National Society for Non-traditional Pre-medical and Medical Students where you can sample Ms Coldwell's services for the cost of the convention. See website National Society for Non-Trad Pre-Med and check the information under conference.

Hi all,

I am a 28 yrs old RN with 4 years of experience and currently doing Acute Care NP. I am doing well in the courses, but I am very dissatisfied. I want to have more autonomy and thinking of going to medical school. I have two BSNs. I started out to do pre-med, thus I have taken bio 1+2, chem 1+2, microbiology and anatomy physiology 1+2. I did well with 3.8 GPA But then I changed my major to computer science (which I regret). Once I finished my first degree, I went to nursing school for two years and got my second bachelors (3.6 GPA) I really want to go to med school and want to prepare myself for MCAT. Do i still need to take organo chemistry + physics to do the MCAT or can i just prepare for MCAT with Kaplan?

thanks

The prerequisites for medical school are gen chem with lab, bio with lab, one year physics with lab, one year ochem with lab, and one year of English. The MCAT has plenty of physics and first semester ochem on it. so if you want to do well, I'd say take the courses before hand. If you don't care how you do on the MCAT, you can take the prereqs whenever. But you'll have to take the prereqs before you can apply to med school.

Now also be aware, some schools require genetics, some require biochem, some require calculus. But these are not required for the MCAT.

I really don't recommend trying the MCAT without the prereqs. Bad, bad, bad idea.

I am also RN-->med school route, did a very long 14 yr route before applying, now I'm a 4th yr about to match next week! I know there are a bunch of threads I participated in regarding RN--> MD/DO type issues so click on my name and you'll see them. also: don't listen to those pre med advisors, they're just a bunch of oxygen thieves.

feel free to PM me with any questions, it's a long but well rewarding road, good luck! :thumbup:

I am also RN-->med school route, did a very long 14 yr route before applying, now I'm a 4th yr about to match next week! I know there are a bunch of threads I participated in regarding RN--> MD/DO type issues so click on my name and you'll see them. also: don't listen to those pre med advisors, they're just a bunch of oxygen thieves.

feel free to PM me with any questions, it's a long but well rewarding road, good luck! :thumbup:

". . . they're just a bunch of oxygen thieves." Love it! Don't mind if I use it do ya?

To the OP: I think your biggest disadvantage at this point is that you are in the great state of Cali. If you're really worried, and really serious, I'd move. No, seriously. I'd look for a research position in a state w/ a lot of public med schools and good in-state acceptance odds. It'll save you SO much money on tuition, it would totally be worth it (believe me, there are a lot of west coast types at my school, and they would happily switch to in-state if they could). Get a copy of the current AAMCAS data on acceptance and look at the data by state.

I think your research and clinical experience pegs you as the type capable of the work med school entails. If you can get a really good MCAT, you'll get the chance to make your case.

Absolutely do not give up if you don't get in on the first try. I have friends who applied twice with the same exact credentials and got into places they didn't the first time. One was even asked by her interviewer "why didn't we admit you the first time?" As if she would know.

I had nearly this exact experience. I even got interviews the second time I didn't the first, didn't receive interviews that I had the first (even from a school I was wait listed at the first time). What does this all mean......its a crapshoot.

Sure you need to have the numbers and experiences, and LORs, etc. It seems like you (OP) have these things. You have shown significant improvement since your bad grades. Also dont rule out the DO route, if you really want to be a doctor, at least include them in your application. I would apply very broadly, mostly out of the state of Cali, and I think you have a great shot.