From USA to Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

squamsquat

Class of 2017!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a first year in veterinary school in the US. I recently got my Canadian citizenship papers and I can see myself living in Canada in the foreseeable future.

My question is, how does one go about getting licensed in a new country? Are there any resources out there that can tell me how I can transition a veterinary career from the US to Canada? I've just started looking around the CVMA website-- is that the right place to start? Has anyone here done something like that (completed your degree in one country, moved to another), and how did it work out?

Members don't see this ad.

CVMA and AVMA recognize each other. We all take the same exam (NAVLE) so if you're licenced in the USA, you're licenced in Canada.

Reactions: 1 user
Although it is true that Canadian and US veterinarians take the NAVLE that is recognized in both countries, the license does not "carry over" to Canada from the US. There is a specific process to obtain a Certificate of Qualification (CQ) to be eligible for a license in Canada. Information on how to apply for a CQ can be found here. From that point, you have to apply to the overseeing veterinary agency of each providence you wish to be licensed in. I have attached a PDF document with contact info for all of these agencies.

I am currently licensed in the US and will be moving to Canada shortly, so the process is very fresh.

Attachments

• Canadian Licensing Agencies.pdf
    550.1 KB · Views: 64
Reactions: 1 user
Although it is true that Canadian and US veterinarians take the NAVLE that is recognized in both countries, the license does not "carry over" to Canada from the US. There is a specific process to obtain a Certificate of Qualification (CQ) to be eligible for a license in Canada. Information on how to apply for a CQ can be found here. From that point, you have to apply to the overseeing veterinary agency of each providence you wish to be licensed in. I have attached a PDF document with contact info for all of these agencies.

I am currently licensed in the US and will be moving to Canada shortly, so the process is very fresh.

The website differentiates between accredited and non-accredited schools ... is this a different Canadian accreditation? Or are all the AMVA accredited schools considered accredited (so we'd just have to pass the NAVLE and not have to do the other exams?) I have dual US and Canadian citizenship but am at vet school in Ireland and have considered applying for a few jobs in Canada when I graduate so I'm just curious :)