Frontline protect against Sand Fleas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc 2b

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guy's i couldn't find an answer anywhere on the web. I thought you current Vet students might know? I'm moving to Florida and I'm wondering if the frontline i'm giving my dog will protect against sand fleas or do I need to switch to something differnt?

Members don't see this ad.

Doc 2b said:
Hey guy's i couldn't find an answer anywhere on the web. I thought you current Vet students might know? I'm moving to Florida and I'm wondering if the frontline i'm giving my dog will protect against sand fleas or do I need to switch to something differnt?

It really depends on what these "sand fleas" are. I did some research on the veterinary information network (VIN) for you and found that sand fleas can be: crustaceans that do not parasitize animals, blackflies (Simulium spp.), midges (Culicoides spp.), or even the domestic cat flea (Ctenocephalides felis).

Frontline would work on the cat flea but not likely blackflies or midges. Pyrethrins applied regularly may protect against midges, and perhaps blackflies.

Cindy
4th year student
Glasgow University Veterinary School

Thanks Cindy your da bomb!