[Full-time] Clinical Job Opportunities for Non-Traditional Applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mambas

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everybody!

I wanted to see if anybody here might be able to offer some wisdom for a non-traditional applicant looking to go back to med school. Before I get to my question, here's a quick background on me:
  • I have a BS in Biology and Chem minor
  • I have one year of experience in research
  • Worked at a chemical company for a year after graduating
  • Moved a bigger company and have been working in technical sales ever since
Despite what my recent work experience suggests, it's always been my dream to pursue a career in medicine. I took the MCAT back in April, and I'm planning on taking it one more time in September before applying next year. Now I'm in the process of looking for ways to get clinical experience (ideally on a full-time basis) between now and next June if possible, which brings me to my question. Are there any clinical positions out there at my level that pay above 25k/year and offer insurance? If not, are there any part-time alternatives that wouldn't conflict with a 9-5 day job?

Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I currently work full time as a Psychiatric Technician at a state hospital for ~$26,000 a year. My hospital has typical nursing shifts (7-3:30 pm, 3-11:30 pm, 11-7:30 am), though others will have 12 hour shifts (7-7) and you only work 3 days a week.

I love my job. It's very hands-on, I take vital signs, document in charts, interact with docs, accompany patients on consults (nephrology, cardiology, PCP, any ER visits, etc--and I just experienced an ECT procedure), so I get decent exposure to various specialties. If you're cool with working with a very difficult population. I recommend this position, but it's understandably not for everyone.

Reactions: 1 user
Are there any clinical positions out there at my level that pay above 25k/year and offer insurance? If not, are there any part-time alternatives that wouldn't conflict with a 9-5 day job?
Work as a receptionist/assistant in a private doc's office would provide lots of patient contact and doesn't require any certifications. Ditto with a nursing home dietary aide or physical therapy aide.

Members don't see this ad :)
Medical scribe or some sort of medical technician job are great experiences. I am a surgical assistant for a skin cancer surgeon and I love it. I know plenty of people that have been involved with both types of jobs in various departments and have been successful.