Full Time Job - Does it Matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SharkB8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it matter what your full-time job is while you work on your prereqs?

I got my foot in the door of a large hospital network working the front desk at doctor's offices, but the pay is killing me. I have a BA in journalism and am debating getting a position in PR or something that might pay a little more. Or even getting out completely and trying something different.

Ideally, I'd like to get a more clinical position with more patient contact, or one-on-one time with physicians. If it doesn't matter at all, though, I might just look for the highest-paying gig I can get while being able to maintain a class schedule.

I imagine it doesn't matter too much, as long as you volunteer in the right places.

Is it one of those "it doesn't help, but it doesn't hurt" kind of things?

Members don't see this ad.

Does it matter what your full-time job is while you work on your prereqs?

I got my foot in the door of a large hospital network working the front desk at doctor's offices, but the pay is killing me. I have a BA in journalism and am debating getting a position in PR or something that might pay a little more. Or even getting out completely and trying something different.

Ideally, I'd like to get a more clinical position with more patient contact, or one-on-one time with physicians. If it doesn't matter at all, though, I might just look for the highest-paying gig I can get while being able to maintain a class schedule.

I imagine it doesn't matter too much, as long as you volunteer in the right places.

Is it one of those "it doesn't help, but it doesn't hurt" kind of things?

You're right. It doesn't matter too much. But, more correctly, it won't prevent you from getting in.

Nontrads from business or XYZ-that-aren't-healthcare have to prove familiarity with patient care. In ways that to me are woefully inadequuate. But let's keep to admissions facts, since B will never be in such a position. You'll have to go a little extra ways towards this end.

For me, coming from the grunt levels of health care, finding physicians to support my application glowingly was as easy as telling them i was applying to medical school. I am completely uncomfortable approaching people who are unfamiliar with my real work presence for support.

But, there's obviously people who have gotten the LOR from just shadowing. I leave it to people here with admissions experience to tell you what the difference is on the other end of it.

The front office work, if not paying well enough, should considered on the chopping block. However, as many people in downward spiraling economies figure out. The steps for getting into many of the clinical jobs can be annoyingly elaborate. An entire economy has emerged around the training and supply of low skilled labor into these jobs. Employee organizations have influenced legislation to the extent that you need a certificate in common sense before you take gramdma's blood pressure.

So it's up to you how much it's worth to tranisition to clinical work. It varies a lot by locale as well. And the application process is very expensive so there's something to be said for going into it with money saved up.

I quit my job at "XYZ-that-aren't-healthcare", as B puts it, and got a cool gig at a hospital. I wrote about it in my personal statement and made it one of my "most meaningful activities," so hopefully it doesn't go unnoticed. Yes the pay is a little less, but I'm making it work.

I think if you've been doing the receptionist stuff for long enough to show that it's made a difference for you to date and you've gotten all you're going to get out of it, then ****, make some money honey.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I'm a previous non-trad who used to be in your situation. Getting another job won't be a negative at all. Keep an eye on the big picture:

When you apply you need to make it easy to understand/explain why you're going to become a physician. For some people a FT job does this. If you have something else that compels you to get into medical school, and that would be compelling for others, then your job will not matter.

As a last lil note, I'm assuming you're doing other things to gain experience and show your commitment. Working for a few years at the front-desk is probably not going to be sufficient

As a last lil note, I'm assuming you're doing other things to gain experience and show your commitment. Working for a few years at the front-desk is probably not going to be sufficient

Thanks for all of your speedy replies.

Yeah, this was merely a foot in the door and a way to get some healthcare in 90 days.

I am "technically" a medical secretary (working for one physician), but was put on the front desk, nowhere near any physicians at a small family practice...and I'm a float (right now long short-term for a front desk girl on maternity leave).

You can move to another position within the company at 6 months...I've just hit 3.

I, by no means, want to stay here beyond that six months. There are things that frustrate me (bureaucratically), but I'm too low on the totem to do anything about it. I'm just thinking getting into PR might pay more, but really isn't clinical. If anything maybe I'd be writing more and using my BA. Any real experience will be achieved through volunteer work - which I might get a better scope on from a different position.

I do believe I've gotten the most out of this position, or at least will have by the end of my six months.

I just want to do the smartest thing, while maintaining the time dedicated to school work. The desk allows me to be polite an caring to patients...but that experience is lost when they get called back, hang up the phone, or walk out of the door.