full time job + prep course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lmb93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to do both? I work 9-5 and the prep course class times are 2~3 hours almost everyday so I am wondering how people who used prep course while working full time managed this and became successful.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I might end up being a re-applicant next year and am considering doing the same. A prep course 2 hours M-S and working 8-5. I'm planning to start reviewing come Thanksgiving/Christmas breaks truthfully to get a head start on things in case. I'm pretty worried about balancing it too!

Well it's just that the class times are like 7~10 pretty much everyday so I am wondering how I can find time doing hw and absorbing the material when I am already working 9~5 everyday.

Well it's just that the class times are like 7~10 pretty much everyday so I am wondering how I can find time doing hw and absorbing the material when I am already working 9~5 everyday.

I'm also working a 9-5 and my TPR course just started! It's 7-10 PM four days a week, and I like it so far! I need the structure because I more or less have to take the MCAT in January (when classes start back up again, I will not be able to focus on the MCAT). So far, I've done a lot of the required reading during my lunch break at work and right after I get home. In class, the instructors go over the reading -- in less detail, because TPR books apparently have more detail than needed for the MCAT, but it's helpful to have someone explain things in a different way and I'm an audio-learner so I like it. I'm planning on doing the bulk of homework over the weekends (we have different subject classes every day, so homework isn't due for a week). I also want to make Anki flashcards as I go, so I can study a bit on my commute.

I'm not going to lie, life is going to suck until I take the MCAT. In addition to working full time, I'm also an RA and have a lot of extracurricular commitments that now all need to get done between 5-7 PM instead of all night. It'll be worth it though! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I work 8-4:30 and took a 6-9 TPR course from June-August that was also a 30 minute drive from my work/apartment. It is definitely doable but it's very hard. Honestly, the structure and access to practice problems was extremely nice to have. However, you need to make sure that you study a bit even when you get home from class or that you wake up early before work to study. That was my mistake. In the first month and a half of my class I came home and relaxed because I was really tired. Big mistake. Now here I am signing up for a retake. Also weekends are ten times more crucial for you than for students not working full time. Your Saturday and Sunday should literally be spent studying the entire day. I recommend doing content review during the week with also some CARS passages here and there and then devote your weekend mainly to practice passages and review. It also gets difficult to keep up when you start incorporating full lengths since they literally take up a whole day and a half when you count the time it takes to review them. You lose your weekend and then it's easy to get behind on assigned passages. The whole thing is doable but you won't sleep much and you'll be at a large disadvantage compared to those who don't have to work...but keep your head up because not only will a good score be more rewarding but you'll also be more prepared for long grueling hours as a doctor :) Also, one last thing I recommend. Most students in my class took the MCAT 2-4 weeks after the class ended. I think those working full time would benefit from taking it closer to 8 weeks after it ends. You won't forget the content if you studied it enough and it'll give you more time for practice questions. Looking back, a few more weeks of practice questions would've done me wonders. Essentially, the amount of practice questions and fine tuning before the test that non working students can complete in 2-4 weeks will take you double the time if not more as someone who works full time. Remember, solid content is important but practice problems and passages will do you wonders!! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I work 8-4:30 and took a 6-9 TPR course from June-August that was also a 30 minute drive from my work/apartment. It is definitely doable but it's very hard. Honestly, the structure and access to practice problems was extremely nice to have. However, you need to make sure that you study a bit even when you get home from class or that you wake up early before work to study. That was my mistake. In the first month and a half of my class I came home and relaxed because I was really tired. Big mistake. Now here I am signing up for a retake. Also weekends are ten times more crucial for you than for students not working full time. Your Saturday and Sunday should literally be spent studying the entire day. I recommend doing content review during the week with also some CARS passages here and there and then devote your weekend mainly to practice passages and review. It also gets difficult to keep up when you start incorporating full lengths since they literally take up a whole day and a half when you count the time it takes to review them. You lose your weekend and then it's easy to get behind on assigned passages. The whole thing is doable but you won't sleep much and you'll be at a large disadvantage compared to those who don't have to work...but keep your head up because not only will a good score be more rewarding but you'll also be more prepared for long grueling hours as a doctor :) Also, one last thing I recommend. Most students in my class took the MCAT 2-4 weeks after the class ended. I think those working full time would benefit from taking it closer to 8 weeks after it ends. You won't forget the content if you studied it enough and it'll give you more time for practice questions. Looking back, a few more weeks of practice questions would've done me wonders. Essentially, the amount of practice questions and fine tuning before the test that non working students can complete in 2-4 weeks will take you double the time if not more as someone who works full time. Remember, solid content is important but practice problems and passages will do you wonders!! Good luck!
Thanks a lot! If it's like this then maybe I shouldn't do it since I also volunteer on Sunday....:/ I studied by myself and didn't perform too well so I wanted to change my strategy....

So what are you going to be doing differently?
If you already know that you don't study well by yourself, you probably need a prep course that is structured and forces you to study on most days.
From the other posters, it is possible to do an intensive prep course + full time + ECs.
You have to be honest with yourself in term of how much structure and time you need to prepare.

Thanks a lot! If it's like this then maybe I shouldn't do it since I also volunteer on Sunday....:/ I studied by myself and didn't perform too well so I wanted to change my strategy....