Full-time offer vs. More classes as a post-bacc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kirby92

Reaction score
I have to decide between working as a clinical research associate (full-time, typical 9-5 schedule, minimum year-long commitment), or taking more classes to boost my GPA. If it’s worth anything, the hospital is well-known across the country for its medical specialty. My volunteer hours and such should not be affected by this decision. Also something to consider if I choose to reject the job offer, is that I don’t have any solid leads on other summer jobs, but could probably land another scribe position. I would definitely prefer to make money, instead of spend it, and could probably get a nice LOR out of the job to supplement my committee letter, but if I have to take more classes I will. Thanks in advance, all.

Stats:
  • URM
  • No MCAT yet (I know this is a big consideration, but I haven’t even taken biochem yet)
    • If I accepted the 9-5 job, I would plan to take an online/evening biochem this Fall, or even summer if I could still enroll, then study for the MCAT after work to take the MCAT in time for the 2021 cycle.
  • GPA
    • UG (no post-bacc.) – 125 credits (23 science credits)
      • cGPA: 2.863
        • Freshman: 2.716
        • Sophomore: 2.963
        • Junior: 3.300
        • Senior: 2.411
      • sGPA: 2.304
    • Post-Bacc (no UG) – 43 credits (40 science credits)
      • cGPA: 3.879
      • sGPA: 3.87
    • Combined
      • cGPA: 3.123
      • sGPA: 3.298
    • With an extra 16 credits of science courses (Fall 2019)
      • cGPA: 3.199
      • sGPA: 3.440
    • With an extra 16 credits of science courses again (Spring 2020)
      • cGPA: 3.263
      • sGPA: 3.534

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If I may ask, just for crystal clear clarity!

I thought I might need to take an extra year because 1) my senior year GPA ruins the perfect upward trend and 2) I need to at least get inside the 10th %ile of the "reinvent schools."

Does this mean that adcoms really just consider all of UG vs post-bacc as opposed to freshman, sophomore, junior, senior, and then post-bacc when they consider the upward trend. Also, I suppose it is okay to be out of the 10th %ile of those specific schools?

You've reinvented yourself. No more classes for you!!!

Woohoo - great news! Finances aside, would you indeed recommend taking the research job and not taking any more courses despite the potential to get up to a 3.25 cGPA and 3.5 sGPA? Also, my only research experience is 100 hours in a semester-long volunteer program for a hospital's ED clinical research where I was basically an associate.

Thank you for your help, you're amazing!!!

If I may ask, just for crystal clear clarity!

I thought I might need to take an extra year because 1) my senior year GPA ruins the perfect upward trend and 2) I need to at least get inside the 10th %ile of the "reinvent schools."

Does this mean that adcoms really just consider all of UG vs post-bacc as opposed to freshman, sophomore, junior, senior, and then post-bacc when they consider the upward trend. Also, I suppose it is okay to be out of the 10th %ile of those specific schools?

Woohoo - great news! Finances aside, would you indeed recommend taking the research job and not taking any more courses despite the potential to get up to a 3.25 cGPA and 3.5 sGPA? Also, my only research experience is 100 hours in a semester-long volunteer program for a hospital's ED clinical research where I was basically an associate.

Thank you for your help, you're amazing!!!
Take the job. Research is over rated anyway

Reactions: 1 user