Employment & Professional Networking Full-Time OT Jobs? (San Francisco Bay Area)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dianasf

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, like many of you, I'm looking into pursuing OT as a career and am located in the San Francisco Bay Area. Although I keep hearing that there's high demand for OTs and most schools show their graduates employment rate at 100% upon graduation, I'm wondering if OTs are getting full-time jobs with benefits. When I search OT job listings on Craigslist, Indeed, Monster, etc., almost all of the positions are part-time jobs, which concern me. Also, I'm volunteering at a large SF retirement home right now, and they do not have any full-time OT staff; all the OTs are contractors. Does anyone have any insight into not just the OT job market but the OT FULL-TIME job market? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

For one reason or another, no one has touched this yet. So here goes. Note: this is my personal experience and observation. In no way am I suggesting my opinions can be generalized to everyone located in other parts of the US.

Honestly, everyone raved about the amazing job market. And it's actually been more difficult to find a decent FT job than I thought it was going to be. And I think a lot of my classmates who graduated at the same time as me would agree. FT hospital jobs are incredibly elusive, while SNFs seem to rely more and more on outside agencies to hire their OTs. School districts seem to be an easier bet for a FT job... but school districts aren't for everyone.

If you want to hear more, feel free to message me.