Full-time vs Part-time clinical employment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gurby

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I just finished paramedic school and have begun looking for jobs. I have been offered a part-time position (a single 16-hour shift each weekend). I'll have the opportunity to pick up additional shifts if I want them. I could easily find a full-time position if I wanted that instead.

I asked a friend of mine who is a resident, and he said it might look better if I worked more (you went to all this trouble to become a paramedic, and then only worked part time?!). However, the AMCAS application only asks for experience type, name, start/end dates, hours, etc. Am I right, then, in assuming AdComs won't be able to tell the difference between part-time and full-time work, except by extrapolating from hours and dates?

If that's the case, it seems to me that taking a part-time job like this would be ideal. I would have time during the week to get involved in research (which I'm completely lacking at the moment), and pick up extra hours on the ambulance when I have time to do so. I should still be able to rack up an impressive amount of hours before applying, but will have a lot more flexibility to do other important pre-med things as well.

Thoughts?

@Goro @LizzyM

Like our esteemed colleague mentioned, part-time is fine. I worked part time as an EMT/medic throughout my entire undergrad and postbacc. Unless you are getting a job at a private and expect to run your nuggets off every day, you might find you have time to do homework on the job and pick up more hours. EMS = money in the bank during college.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think it matters if you work part-time or full-time. I think if you are able to work part-time, then go for it. You can do other things to help your app during your time off.

I also concur, take the part-time and pick up extra when you can. I worked pretty much full time on the ambulance and in the 911 center during my undergrad. Did a LOT of homework sitting in the truck on post, or between calls.

Reactions: 1 user
I also concur, take the part-time and pick up extra when you can. I worked pretty much full time on the ambulance and in the 911 center during my undergrad. Did a LOT of homework sitting in the truck on post, or between calls.

Agreed. "EMS" earn money sleeping can easily be turned into earn money studying. Part time gives you more flexibility and will allow you to focus on your studies.

Same. I actually had 3 part-time jobs during undergrad and worked up to 72 hours a week during my senior year. I don't miss those days, but I was making bank!

Don't bite more than you can chew. I worked a mix of part-time and full-time, and looking back, if I had to work full-time during certain semesters, I would have not made the grades I earned. That's just reality until I improve my study habits haha.