Fully Accredited Schools vs Candidate status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cara88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what thoughts others had on schools with candidate status vs being fully accredited.

My understanding is (and please correct me if I'm wrong), that these schools have no reason to not become fully accredited once their first class graduates. Also if anything were to go wrong and they weren't able to get full accreditation status, I would still be able to write the board exams and at worst I would end up completing my studies at another school which would be apart of their exit strategy already?

Members don't see this ad.

even among fully accredited schools, there are difference on quality of educations and rotation. if you ever have a choice between yes and no accredited school, why would u even hesitate? anyways back to the question, yes u r correct about 1st graduate part but im not 100% sure about transferring to other schools to finish. hopefully other SDN folks can answer this

I was just wondering what thoughts others had on schools with candidate status vs being fully accredited.

My understanding is (and please correct me if I'm wrong), that these schools have no reason to not become fully accredited once their first class graduates. Also if anything were to go wrong and they weren't able to get full accreditation status, I would still be able to write the board exams and at worst I would end up completing my studies at another school which would be apart of their exit strategy already?

My school just received accreditation in June so I know when we were Candidatw status our first graduating class (who graduated in May) were able to sit for the board exam-we had our accreditation visit in April and had received a ( not officially, but the Dean said everything discussed was positive) good indication that we would receive the official accreditation once the class graduated. They were able to sit for the boards and apply for residencies (8 out of our 58 were accepted) even with Candidate status. I'm not sure about transferring schools however that may be something that depends on the program you'd transfer to. I know at my program however we don't accept transfer students so with this existing policy you wouldn't be able to transfer yet you'd have to start back in P1 year...just thankfully we're only 3 years. But that is something you'd have to find out from other pharmacy programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
is there a resource that shows how many schools obtained candidate status and attempted to get accredited but failed? Also are there schools that failed to get accredited with their first graduating class but passed later?

is there a resource that shows how many schools obtained candidate status and attempted to get accredited but failed? Also are there schools that failed to get accredited with their first graduating class but passed later?

Check the ACPE website. Yes, California Northstate is one school that failed but later passed.

Check the ACPE website. Yes, California Northstate is one school that failed but later passed.
did a quick look and couldn't find anything on the acpe website. Mind linking me?
Also say I graduate from a non-accredited school, can i still sit for naplex? And once they do become accredited is the degree I earned from them when they weren't accredited still valid?

did a quick look and couldn't find anything on the acpe website. Mind linking me?
Also say I graduate from a non-accredited school, can i still sit for naplex? And once they do become accredited is the degree I earned from them when they weren't accredited still valid?

I have heard that the first graduating class of a school will set the deadline for whether a school has become accredited or not (the graduating class can't run around without the school achieving - or failing to achieve - accredited status).