function of pore in the nuclear membrane?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sjsudentist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys,

which of the following is the function of the pores in the nuclear envelope?

a. allows proteins to move into the nucleus
b. allows ribosomal components exit nucleus
c. allows mRNA exit the nucleus

I think only C is correct, but topscore says all are correct. What do you think?

Thanks,

SJ

Members don't see this ad.

Top score is correct.. all those are functions of nuclear membrane, which regulates what is getting in and out of the nucleus.

so in order for proteins to get into the nucleus, if I remember correctly, the nuclear pore recognize a NLS (nuclear leading sequence) on the protein before transferring it over. w/o NLS, proteins will stay in the cytoplasm

ribosomes are partially manufactured in the nucleus (RNA component) and partially manufactured in cytoplasm (protein component)

mRNA is processed (capped and poly A tail) before exiting..

Correct me if I am wrong

Last edited:
Yeah, think about it this way, the nucleus needs proteins (histones, etc) and how are they going to get it if proteins are made from the RER. Has to get in somehow, and pores are the way in! Also, the nucleus contains the nucleolus which makes components of the ribosomes so that has to leave the nucleus through pores.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi guys,

which of the following is the function of the pores in the nuclear envelope?

a. allows proteins to move into the nucleus
b. allows ribosomal components exit nucleus
c. allows mRNA exit the nucleus

I think only C is correct, but topscore says all are correct. What do you think?

Thanks,

SJ

a. proteins (i.e. nuclear import signals and proteins) can enter the nucleus.
b. rRNA inside nucleus, Ribosomes outside nucleus, 1+1... ta da!
c. you already said was True.

I think this question would be more appropriately placed in the DAT forum? :thumbup:

is this a sample DAT question?