Funding Crisis for Human Services in Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krisrox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd get the word out there that my home state, Illinois, is deciding to cut the human services budget. This means that social workers, psychologists, CNA's and many others will be out of a job and thousands of individuals won't be able to get the services they need. If you guys have time, and you live in Illinois, please click the link to write your representatives and ask them to give funding!!! http://www.naswil.org

Non-Illinoisans, how are you all coping with the budget cuts in your state? Everyone is being affected by the recession, especially psychology and human services.

Mods- if it's against the rules to post the link/solicit support, delete that part.

Members don't see this ad.

Sending best wishes your way and to the way of your colleagues. My state (NC) has been going through a crisis for seven years. Began with complete privatization, now, exacerbated by the economic crisis.

Last week, our genius legislation proposed to cut ALL Medicaid funding for allied health occupational therapist, physical therapists, and speech/language pathologists in addition to a large percentage of the mental health budget.

Don't even get me started on the political nonsense behind the substance abuse people and how they manage to always get more funding/attention than other areas of need.

In the eleventh hour, those proposals were cut from the final approved legislation but can you imagine the impact on our state's children? I'd venture to guess that the majority of individuals who use those services are medicaid clients.

Just another example of how the distance between those who write the policy and those who live it continues to expand.

Take care.