Funding for Grad School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vesti

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here received or know of someone that has received funding for grad school, in the form of assistantships, etc.? I have a pretty decent gpa and gre scores but I don't know what my chances are for getting funding. I would really like to go to a different school for grad than I did for my undergrad but I really can't afford to pay 40,000 a year when I won't be making much more than that when I graduate. If anyone can give me any tips as to where I should be grades-wise or even any schools that are good about giving out $$ that would be great!

Also, grad schools say they don't just look at gpa and gre scores when it comes to funding...is that true or do you have to have a 4.0 to get good $$?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted to 6 schools and offered funding at 3. Some schools have the money and some schools just don't. Even at the schools that have money, they may not have enough to fund all the students.
I think it's totally legitimate to ask your prospective schools what kind of financial assistance they provide.

Thanks, but I really need some advice as to where to apply!! I have a 3.8 GPA and a 1220 on the GRE. Should I be looking at middle of the road schools, or do I have a chance of getting money from one of the higher ranked schools? (I already know I'm not applying to vandi!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, but I really need some advice as to where to apply!! I have a 3.8 GPA and a 1220 on the GRE. Should I be looking at middle of the road schools, or do I have a chance of getting money from one of the higher ranked schools? (I already know I'm not applying to vandi!)

With that GPA and GRE scores, I would apply wherever you want to go. To be honest with you, apply to the schools that you think youll never get into. You never know, the pool of applicants may be low this year. That is my suggestion. I have been told to people who already got their acceptance that they wish they had applied to their top school, you never know.

Your GPA and GRE should allow you to apply anywhere you want to go. I would apply to a large # of schools (10 or so) and be prepared to go to any of the schools you apply to. Do not apply to any school you simply have to intention of attending. However by applying to a large # of schools you will increase your chances of being funded. Do not rule out the top schools as many of those programs also have a lot of money to give. I would stick to the top and middle tier schools in cities you are willing to live.

Then once you get your acceptance letters (you will with those stats) find out which school will allow you to take the least amount of loans. It is simply a terrible decision to borrow $80-100,000 to become an Audiologist. It is a fantastic rewarding and exciting field and we deserve to make 6 figures, and at some point we will make what Optometrists, Pharmacists, Dentists, etc make, but that time is not now. Borrowing that kind of money will make what salary you do make once you graduate even smaller when you have to write the $1000 student loan check every month for the next 30 years. In reality all of the top 25 or so programs will prepare you to be an excellent Audiologist. Once you graduate no one cares where you went to school, but you will of you borrow $100,000 + interest to go there.

Last edited:
i agree- you should apply wherever you want to go, even the top ranked schools. it's always a good idea to apply to a safety school too just to cover your bases. i didn't apply to vanderbilt or u wash but now i kind of wish i had just to see. your grades and gre score are good so i wouldn't be shy about aiming high! look at some of the stats on asha's EdFind and you'll see that you're probably above the mean most everywhere.