Funeral Service Education VS Pre-med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Embalmer

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I came upon these forums while losing my mind about school. I was google-ing about the courses I have to take - and YES WE TAKE THE SAME COURSES MEDICAL/PREMED STUDENTS TAKE!

Funeral service education is significantlly harder then med school during it's duration because we have to study all forms of chem/bio/micro in a VERY short period of time, before we progress into more psych/business aspects then venturing off into internships.

Our A&P classes are the same the nurses paramedics etc take. Our chem & micro are the same that people who plan to progress into a specified chem/micro career take.

I get tired of people making stupid cracks like "why do you need to take these courses? Your clients only make it to you when we fail them lol". Hmm... seems like all these brilliant students don't understand embalming is a minor surgery that involves chemicals, with a subject that may be infested with disease! FSE students can also work in hospitals, & pharmacies etc.. or venture off into medical school.

FSE seems to have the highest dropout/failure rate too, more so than med/premed.

Anyway. If it's not obvious I am burned out. I needed to rant. Sometimes I am pissed off with what we have to learn because they do not seem to emphasise these sciences for our funeral service career, sometimes they cram a bunch of PhD BS down our throats that will NEVER apply to our career, & I only think they do it because A) we have insane professors who want to trun EVERYONE into doctors, & B) they want to garner FSE students more respect.

I am one of the stronger students who is pulling through & I will graduate next year. Man I can't wait.

Anyway, my fellow medical students who are suffering - Next time you are in your anatomy lab & have a nice cadaver to study off of: YOU'RE WELCOME!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
2-year Associate's Degree in FSE = 4-year Bachelor's Degree + 4-year Medical Degree?

lol

I knew some snotty medschool student would type something along those lines. YEAH - not every FSE school is the same, as the universities that offer FSE are A LOT HARDER than the colleges who offer it (In Canada there is a difference between college & university).

Also, in semester 1 they cram us with schooling that should take a year for those topics alone. The schools are recognizing this & are considering extending the program with an additional year.

Our program may be shorter, but have way more to do in our 2 years than you do. You don't believe me? Hell, spend a day with me & we will see how you hold up.

By all means, forget the zillion other topics we have to take - just take my micro class & try doing the FSE internship at the same time & we will see how you hold up.

PS - Zombie control 101 was pretty difficult, thank you.

I knew some snotty medschool student would type something along those lines. YEAH - not every FSE school is the same, as the universities that offer FSE are A LOT HARDER than the colleges who offer it (In Canada there is a difference between college & university).

Also, in semester 1 they cram us with schooling that should take a year for those topics alone. The schools are recognizing this & are considering extending the program with an additional year.

Our program may be shorter, but have way more to do in our 2 years than you do. You don't believe me? Hell, spend a day with me & we will see how you hold up.

By all means, forget the zillion other topics we have to take - just take my micro class & try doing the FSE internship at the same time & we will see how you hold up.

http://www.humber.ca/program/funeral-service-education
http://www.mtroyal.ca/programscourses/continuingeducation/funeral/ce_fde.htm

I came upon these forums while losing my mind about school. I was google-ing about the courses I have to take - and YES WE TAKE THE SAME COURSES MEDICAL/PREMED STUDENTS TAKE!

Funeral service education is significantlly harder then med school during it's duration because we have to study all forms of chem/bio/micro in a VERY short period of time, before we progress into more psych/business aspects then venturing off into internships.

Our A&P classes are the same the nurses paramedics etc take. Our chem & micro are the same that people who plan to progress into a specified chem/micro career take.

I get tired of people making stupid cracks like "why do you need to take these courses? Your clients only make it to you when we fail them lol". Hmm... seems like all these brilliant students don't understand embalming is a minor surgery that involves chemicals, with a subject that may be infested with disease! FSE students can also work in hospitals, & pharmacies etc.. or venture off into medical school.

FSE seems to have the highest dropout/failure rate too, more so than med/premed.

Anyway. If it's not obvious I am burned out. I needed to rant. Sometimes I am pissed off with what we have to learn because they do not seem to emphasise these sciences for our funeral service career, sometimes they cram a bunch of PhD BS down our throats that will NEVER apply to our career, & I only think they do it because A) we have insane professors who want to trun EVERYONE into doctors, & B) they want to garner FSE students more respect.

I am one of the stronger students who is pulling through & I will graduate next year. Man I can't wait.

Anyway, my fellow medical students who are suffering - Next time you are in your anatomy lab & have a nice cadaver to study off of: YOU'RE WELCOME!!

Stiff (book) made it seem as if all you guys do is fill bodies with embalming fluid and stitch up rectums...

You can say that, but we can say the same thing. How are you capable of judging the difficulty of our classes? Emt and nurse anatomy is not med school anatomy.

That is such BS!! That program is nothing like the ones here!! Canada also has a higher standard than American schools. You never hear of embalming nightmares here, while American embalmers routinely screw up & make the news.

So puuuulease yourself.

Guuuuuuurrrrrrl Puuuuuuh-lease

cremation without embalming FTW

You can say that, but we can say the same thing. How are you capable of judging the difficulty of our classes? Emt and nurse anatomy is not med school anatomy.

Both progarms are hard. What I'm saying is that FSE is extremely difficult. Its a lot in a short period of time. It also sucks when people don't recognize this, & constantly make stupid jokes about why fse students don't need these courses. Also, we stop our studies before we get to medschool levels because we are not becoming doctors, but our health sicience classes are insanely intense to the point where its like medschool - that is why we can work in other health science feilds or go to medschool.

Im going to study now.

Guuuuuuurrrrrrl Puuuuuuh-lease

cremation without embalming FTW

Before I log out: cremation is worse to the environment than embalming :)

Without embalimg you also won't have anatomical specimens. We don't just embalm for funerals :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Before I log out: cremation is worse to the environment than embalming :)

Without embalimg you also won't have anatomical specimens. We don't just embalm for funerals :)

Okay I agreed with this one.

I fear this is just a failure of imagination on your part :laugh:

also I love the complete neglect to the idea that your subjects are already dead :smuggrin: having completed anatomy lab, I have to say that I was so overwhelmingly impressed with the hack job and bailers twine sutures that the FSE guys left in the neck of our cadaver. Musta took a whole 4 days to figure out how to do that one :smuggrin:

but seriously, sorry you have to work so hard to rationalize away your short comings..... never been there myself broski so I cant imagine how it feels :shrug:

Uh huh. Now actually try taking the courses. They are very hard & the same ones as Med students.

again, just because you cannot imagine anything existing that is harder than what you currently experience does not mean that it doesnt exist :idea:

You have no idea how much more complicated your courses could be. The fact that you think you are currently spelunking the depths of the knowledge instead of just scratching the surface speaks volumes about your abilities :laugh:

Both progarms are hard. What I'm saying is that FSE is extremely difficult. Its a lot in a short period of time. It also sucks when people don't recognize this, & constantly make stupid jokes about why fse students don't need these courses. Also, we stop our studies before we get to medschool levels because we are not becoming doctors, but our health sicience classes are insanely intense to the point where its like medschool - that is why we can work in other health science feilds or go to medschool.

Im going to study now.
You actually can't go to med school directly from an A.S...

You actually can't go to med school directly from an A.S...

yeah, im actually not sure if this kid understands the difference between pre-med and med school...

also, college and university are different in the USA too ;) a university is a collection of colleges - same in canadia

This guy sounds a lot like druggeek. Any mods wanna run an IP check?

Im going to study now.

And what I am saying is how do you know that it is insanely intense to the point where its like med school? I'm willing to accept that FSE is harder than people give you credit for, but I don't believe that it is just as intense as medical school just based on your subjective feeling that it is. What evidence can you bring to support your claim? The only evidence brought forth as of yet (curriculums of different schools) seem to do the opposite. For example, one of them lists the hours of class time for anatomy and physiology as 64 hours during the first semester. 64 hours for anatomy AND physiology? My one semester anatomy class was at least 3 times that long, and physiology was probably similar in time commitment over a years time. Sorry I don't care how fast your teachers talk, they cannot balance out the intensity of medical school A&P in less than 1/3 of the time. The total number of hours required, even when you include the 800 hour internship req, is less than the pre-clinical curriculum of medical school, let alone medical school as a whole.

again, just because you cannot imagine anything existing that is harder than what you currently experience does not mean that it doesnt exist :idea:

You have no idea how much more complicated your courses could be. The fact that you think you are currently spelunking the depths of the knowledge instead of just scratching the surface speaks volumes about your abilities :laugh:

You're an idiot. You're hurling insults away at me, with no rational to back it up. Firstly, since you CANNOT READ I am saying WE CRAM A LOT OF INFO IN A SHORT PERIOD! THAT IS WHAT MAKES IT SO HARD It's more info that's logically doable in that short time. Due to the fact that I am one of the strong ones, it is why I haven't failed & will graduate next year.

DOCTORS THEMSELVES have said the program is MORE intense due to what you have to learn in such a short period. It is also not "scratching the surface" it is VERY in depth & from there you can progress into a specialized section to get further in depth if you decide FSE is not for.

It's also not my problem that the hacks on your side weren't educated well enough to properly embalm. Also, if we are talking embalming for an anatomical specimen & not a viewing than the goal is NOT for appearance you unbelievable stupid kid, you.

Med school is very hard. No question about it. However, you guys are given a reasonable time to do it, & build upon.

Should have shut this page while surfing blackboard!

isn't embalming of donors done by med school staff ?

It depends. The hospital will be capable of doing this, but I am not sure who they hire to carry it out.

Either way, the point that needs to not get lost here is that this guy thinks his microbio final question of "true or false, bacterias are teh bad" makes him as educated as medical personnel. If he sat down with a real physician or anyone in medical school he would find out very quickly how much a chasm in knowledge there is between them.

This is a freaking associates degree for crying out loud! its vocational :bang:

At least your clients are dying to see you! :laugh:

Puns aside, an associate's degree is not equal to a professional degree. Is your program hard? Probably. Any program that is outside a person's preferences will probably be difficult. I couldn't do mechanics like my brother, and he couldn't go for a biochemistry degree like I am. Difficulty is relative, and although both degrees are certainly no cake walk, it would be stupid to presume that a two-year degree is somehow more difficult than an eight-year degree, if for nothing else, the time constraints imposed by a degree that takes eight years and a residency to obtain.

Your argument was dead on arrival. After all, you chose to start this topic in pre-med central, so any point that you may of had is moot.

You're an idiot. You're hurling insults away at me, with no rational to back it up. Firstly, since you CANNOT READ I am saying WE CRAM A LOT OF INFO IN A SHORT PERIOD! THAT IS WHAT MAKES IT SO HARD It's more info that's logically doable in that short time. Due to the fact that I am one of the strong ones, it is why I haven't failed & will graduate next year.
1) dont call names. I will miss you after you get banned
2) "a lot" and "short" are relative terms. because WE cram a lot MORE in a SHORTER time. Like a buttload more (that is a legit unit of measure btw :thumbup:

DOCTORS THEMSELVES have said the program is MORE intense due to what you have to learn in such a short period. It is also not "scratching the surface" it is VERY in depth & from there you can progress into a specialized section to get further in depth if you decide FSE is not for.
no they haven't. You made that up :laugh:

and you may consider it in depth. We go deeper
~INCEPTION~

It's also not my problem that the hacks on your side weren't educated well enough to properly embalm. Also, if we are talking embalming for an anatomical specimen & not a viewing than the goal is NOT for appearance you unbelievable stupid kid, you.

Med school is very hard. No question about it. However, you guys are given a reasonable time to do it, & build upon.

Should have shut this page while surfing blackboard!
they did a perfectly fine job embalming. You dont need plastics-level sutures when you are just pumping chemicals in through a dead guys neck vasculature. That is the point. You are trained to the level required to make you proficient at your job. This job is fine, good, and necessary - and it helps in many ways both directly and indirectly.

Still not has hard as medicine. The difference in challenge is comparable to the difference between fastening velcro shoes and knitting an entire blanket. I was gunna go with tying of shoes for the first part of that but I needed something simpler with an obvious similarity but still stark difference to get where I wanted with that one :)

At least your clients are dying to see you! :laugh:

Puns aside, an associate's degree is not equal to a professional degree. Is your program hard? Probably. Any program that is outside a person's preferences will probably be difficult. I couldn't do mechanics like my brother, and he couldn't go for a biochemistry degree like I am. Difficulty is relative, and although both degrees are certainly no cake walk, but it would be stupid to presume that a two-year degree is somehow more difficult than an eight year degree, if for nothing else, the time constraints imposed by a degree that takes eight years and a residency to obtain.

Your argument was dead on arrival. After all, you chose to start this topic in pre-med central, so any point that you may of had is moot.

:love::thumbup::highfive::soexcited::clap:

you definitely get it.
I'm just glad this guy is preemptively putting himself in a position to never harm patients ;)

Look guys. Lets make him feel good about himself like the "radiologists" that graduate from community colleges. :D

his pharmacology and therapeutics textbook has one word : lysol

A quick breakdown for you, embalmer
http://www.mhcc.edu/funeralserviceeducation.aspx?id=1848

Here is a sample curriculum.
Semester 1: 17 hours.... we had 20 btw
First class Medical Terminology I. We dont get this course. Med term is just picked up in our other courses. So here you have 2-3 sh that, in medschool, would have been scattered through the other courses. you also have a whole 3 sh course to orientation. Nonsense. Now there are intro business and IT courses. These are 101 level classes so very very rudimentary and are again meant to allow you to perform tasks later in the curriculum. So thus far you havent really learned anything. Also first aid... really? a whole semester course for something that takes a weekend for certification? you guys cram SO much into such a SHORT time, dont you :rolleyes:

Now lets just look at sciences.

Anatomy and phys 1 in 2nd semester. Cool. Did you know that med schools cram all of anatomy into 1 semester? You guys dont even make it to any anatomy or phys 2. having taken such courses in UG, I can tell you that they are in no way as exxtensive as med education.
BEGINNING FREAKING ALGEBRA!? ok, this just got silly.....

algebra is essential for (1) counting bodies, (2) conversion between gallons and ounces of embalming fluid, (3) counting cash

A quick breakdown for you, embalmer
http://www.mhcc.edu/funeralserviceeducation.aspx?id=1848

Here is a sample curriculum.
Semester 1: 17 hours.... we had 20 btw
First class Medical Terminology I. We dont get this course. Med term is just picked up in our other courses. So here you have 2-3 sh that, in medschool, would have been scattered through the other courses. you also have a whole 3 sh course to orientation. Nonsense. Now there are intro business and IT courses. These are 101 level classes so very very rudimentary and are again meant to allow you to perform tasks later in the curriculum. So thus far you havent really learned anything. Also first aid... really? a whole semester course for something that takes a weekend for certification? you guys cram SO much into such a SHORT time, dont you :rolleyes:

Now lets just look at sciences.

Anatomy and phys 1 in 2nd semester. Cool. Did you know that med schools cram all of anatomy into 1 semester? You guys dont even make it to any anatomy or phys 2. having taken such courses in UG, I can tell you that they are in no way as exxtensive as med education.
BEGINNING FREAKING ALGEBRA!? ok, this just got silly.....

I could have gotten first aid certification while I was in high school! It was actually a program they had, but it was full when I applied for it...

Also, the Red Cross offers certification in a few weeks.

Throwing it out there for argument's sake: you don't seem to have to take Organic Chemistry or Physics, both of which are notorious "weeder" courses. I can't process the links because my tablet feels like shutting down when it has to load certain pages. =/

Wow, the trolls have been low-quality the past couple weeks...

If FSE is so hard, why don't you just go to med school and make the load easier on yourself? :smuggrin:

You're an idiot. You're hurling insults away at me, with no rational to back it up.
pot-kettle.jpg

This reminds me of an argument I had where a student tried to tell me that chiropractic school is more difficult than veterinary school...

1. The dropout rate is higher because the admissions standards are lower.

2. You don't cover the same amount of material in a shorter time; you cover less material in a shorter time frame.

3. It's rather generous to call embalmers "surgeons." Dissectors might be closer to accurate.

... you're ranting to the wrong crowd ;)

I just want to say that as a doctor of BA in biology, I think the OP has a wonderful point, which is that funeral programs are filled with special snowflakes who should be allowed to perform complex surgeries and medical procedures on all patients despite their inexperience interacting with them.

In addition, I had always hoped to be buried alive, but my main concern has always been that alive and unembalmed, my body would deteriorate within weeks. The OP is incredibly insightful and I'm certain he would intravenously fulfill my preservation needs in a sensitive and apologetic way before my humous funeral and burial.

Why's OP so angry? He put the red meanie face next to the thread title. I think someone needs a hug.

I could have gotten first aid certification while I was in high school! It was actually a program they had, but it was full when I applied for it...

Also, the Red Cross offers certification in a few weeks.

Throwing it out there for argument's sake: you don't seem to have to take Organic Chemistry or Physics, both of which are notorious "weeder" courses. I can't process the links because my tablet feels like shutting down when it has to load certain pages. =/

Omg! I'm on a lunch break so I just skimmed this a little. Ill read the rest of the comments later but THIS almost made me explode! Yes we have to take organic chemistry!! Our chemistry course was the study of ALL chemistry!! Little of it was just for embalming. Chemistry is where I shined & I could easily get a PhD in. Our micro course is beyond crazy. It is much harder than other fse schools, & what nurses had to take. A Dr is teaching it at the Dr level!!!

Wait aren't you the same guys who give the corpses haircuts? Do you also wash their hair, and if you do, what shampoo do you use?

Edit: serious question... I want my hair to be sleek shiny and strong before people look at me

Status
Not open for further replies.