"Funny quotes from 'less informed' pre-meds," On-Topic Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I definitely think one of the funniest things I hear pre-meds (or high schoolers, etc.) say is something along the lines of, "I want to go to either Harvard or Stanford."

Seriously...?

I remember when I was a Senior in high school applying to colleges, I had a great GPA, ACT, and SAT and decided that I should apply to some Ivy leagues. I had the stats for it. So I ended up applying to Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Brown, Stanford, UChicago, and then my state University. No mid-tier privates or anything else. I remember I even told one of my friends that I researched it and had like a 50% chance of getting into Harvard (I now have no idea where that number came from). Well 5 rejections, 1 waitlist then rejection and 1 acceptance from my state school later, I was definitely humbled.

Now as I'm applying to med school, all I can think of is, "C'mon, state school!" Definitely don't have the same expectations of getting into top medical schools now than what I did as a HS senior thinking of getting into top universities. So now when I hear pre-meds say, "I want to go to either Harvard or Stanford," I just want to slap some sense into them. Or watch them get two rejections. Both would be kinda satisfying.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 13 users
Student I graduated HS with is now "publishing" articles for one of those lousy
"Some angels have wings, others have stethoscopes. I, for one, would take a stethoscope over wings any day. High School diploma, check. Penn State Undergraduate degree, almost checked. An M.D.? White coat? Scrubs? Dr. [withheld] M.D. is in progress…

You aren't doing much name protection when you quote word for word and we can all simply throw the quote into google and find the article with her name. haha

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You aren't doing much name protection when you quote word for word and we can all simply throw the quote into google and find the article with his name. haha

Hey. They put it on the internet, not me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: 6 users
The odyssey online never fails to entertain. It doesn't matter what school it is, it's always filled with pretentious freshmen.

Unsurprisingly but still amusingly, stock photo depicts someone taking a manual blood pressure incorrectly.

6360455378882547241351072746_highbloodpressure.jpg

Reactions: 14 users
Unsurprisingly but still amusingly, stock photo depicts someone taking a manual blood pressure incorrectly.

Haha I didn't even notice that :laugh: so good

Reactions: 1 user
The way in which the first word of the title was used was enough for me to get an idea of this persons writing. It almost hurt to continue reading this. Grammar people!

"This one condition can be a causing factor in Anginas (chest pains), kidney failure, heart failure, strokes, eye damage, aneurysms, Prediabetes, Insulin resistance and Peripheral artery disease etc."

Love those random capitalizations

Reactions: 11 users
I definitely think one of the funniest things I hear pre-meds (or high schoolers, etc.) say is something along the lines of, "I want to go to either Harvard or Stanford."

Seriously...?

I remember when I was a Senior in high school applying to colleges, I had a great GPA, ACT, and SAT and decided that I should apply to some Ivy leagues. I had the stats for it. So I ended up applying to Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Brown, Stanford, UChicago, and then my state University. No mid-tier privates or anything else. I remember I even told one of my friends that I researched it and had like a 50% chance of getting into Harvard (I now have no idea where that number came from). Well 5 rejections, 1 waitlist then rejection and 1 acceptance from my state school later, I was definitely humbled.

Now as I'm applying to med school, all I can think of is, "C'mon, state school!" Definitely don't have the same expectations of getting into top medical schools now than what I did as a HS senior thinking of getting into top universities. So now when I hear pre-meds say, "I want to go to either Harvard or Stanford," I just want to slap some sense into them. Or watch them get two rejections. Both would be kinda satisfying.

A girl in the grade below me (she interned in the ED that I worked at) said that she was going to be applying to Brown, Harvard, etc. The last time I talked to her she said she was getting her EMT and planning on applying to PA school (heard through the grape vine that she had a nervous break down when trying to study for the MCAT)

It is so weird too because this girl was in the same position as me grade wise (graduated top of her class, got identical awards, did an honors thesis, etc) but I guess the MCAT itself is a beast to overcome

(heard through the grape vine that she had a nervous break down when trying to study for the MCAT)

... I guess the MCAT itself is a beast to overcome

It's definitely a bit unnerving the first time you see all the info you're expected to know compiled into one place. Still though... as long as you did meaningful learning in UG, it's not that bad

Reactions: 1 users
A girl in the grade below me (she interned in the ED that I worked at) said that she was going to be applying to Brown, Harvard, etc. The last time I talked to her she said she was getting her EMT and planning on applying to PA school (heard through the grape vine that she had a nervous break down when trying to study for the MCAT)

It is so weird too because this girl was in the same position as me grade wise (graduated top of her class, got identical awards, did an honors thesis, etc) but I guess the MCAT itself is a beast to overcome

I've seen many people give up after the MCAT too. I feel like if you have a decent GPA this test should not be that hard. Take some time to review the content (watch videos, make flashcards, etc.) and take a few practice tests and one should be good to go. I feel like most they just weren't studying smart.

Members don't see this ad :)
My friends and family already do this to me! When I tell them I don't know they respond with "But you're pre-med, isn't this the kind of stuff you should have learned by now?" :smack:

When I was a freshman in college my friend's mom asked me if I had started learning how to put in IVs yet. Lol.

This is what happens when you hire anyone as a writer and/or have no means of (or just don't care about) proofreading before publication.

Like Melania Trump???

Reactions: 4 users
Somethings are good to be high, blood pressure is not one of them.
Starting off, I thought this was an instance of Engrish. It is not, and this fact is sad.

know someone who has been diagnosed with a high blood pressure
A single high blood pressure? My family has more than one. Do we win or lose? This is confusing.

a big correspondent with other disorders and diseases
Your predicate noun-ing is both wrong and weird.

A high BP (blood pressure)
Oh, thanks for clearing that one up. Really helps even though you already used that initialism earlier.

High blood pressure is a preventative condition
Here, I'll help. High BP is preventing you from living your life to the fullestest!

You don't even cite the WikiHow article on hypertension management that you half-way memorized before typing this. Sloppy.

Like Melania Trump???

According to Chris Christie, her plagiarism is irrelevant because "96% of the speech was different." This could have saved so many otherwise-med-school-worthy students!

Reactions: 2 users
Poppin' over from the dental side of SDN. Just want to say this is one of my favorite threads to read. Keep it up! :D

Practice questions can certainly be helpful for the MCAT and there's nothing wrong at all with using them, but if you actually need them then I feel sorry for you.
o_O Are you for real? How else are you supposed to identify your unknown unknowns?

Reactions: 2 users
One of my favorite things to do is ask pre-meds about their "why"...

Best response so far: well, I decided after my undergrad that I didn't like kids, so teaching art wasn't for me... And this old person where I work called me a doc once when I wore a white sweater, it sounded nice... So I'm going to be a doc, I think?

Good luck buddy!! But... Work on that reason before you go to any interviews...

Step-Dad:

"Knife, my doctor told me I have to go in tomorrow for a 'Digital Rectal Massage' because of my prostate. It's so great they can do it digitally now, I hear in the old days they'd have to put a finger in your a$$!"

Me:

"What a noble profession..."

You're just supposed to watch the needle go up and down. That is how it is done.

:rofl:

What if I told you that the MCAT was just the beginning.... ;)

I've seen many people give up after the MCAT too. I feel like if you have a decent GPA this test should not be that hard. Take some time to review the content (watch videos, make flashcards, etc.) and take a few practice tests and one should be good to go. I feel like most they just weren't studying smart.
The MCAT is still a difficult exam... Also doesn't help if people aren't naturally good at standardized tests. Good GPA doesn't not equal easy MCAT.

Wrong. That assumes that everyone went to the same undergrad...

Reactions: 5 users
Wrong. That assumes that everyone went to the same undergrad...
Absolutely agree, especially with the new MCAT and its focus on experimental results and techniques. I work as an MCAT tutor and students who attended a school with a rigorous lab program definitely have have a leg up on those who didn't. Not an insurmountable one, but they best way to learn, say, IR or NMR spec, is practice, and some people don't get that at their schools.

Not necessarily a "less informed" premed per se, but someone I met at an interview who was slightly off-putting (I just remembered this today!)

Scene: About 20 interviewees talking to each other before it started.

Him: Hey! How's it going?
Me: Not bad, a little nervous for this, but I'm fine.
Him: What school did you go to?
Me: I go to ___
Him: Oh cool. What's it rated?
Me: I'm sorry?
Him: What is the ranking of the school?
Me: Oh, I have no idea.
Him: It's okay man, you can tell me.
Me: I'm sorry, I really don't know.
Him: Mine's #12. I think it's really helped me so far.
Me: That's awesome, congratulations.

But the joke's on him, because my interviewer went to my school.

Reactions: 28 users
Regarding the summer physio case, mail systems usually sort and store IP addresses. An example of this is when you log into your email from a unique location, it subsequently requests additional information like a phone number to verify that you're not a hacker who simply got an email + password via a trojan/keylogger and accessing the account for potential blackmail information/credit card numbers. There are also methods to obtain an individual's IP address even if they were using a VPN/proxy-filter, however this is a more arduous process and would require much more time in order to investigate the matter. In most cases, users will always leave an IP footprint in a certain area no matter how hard they try to cover their behavior.

trying to stay on topic, ive heard that google protects their users IP addresses and location very intensely, and most likely wouldnt give it up for a witch hunt driven by a school unless a court order was made (and thats highly unlikely)

I feel like if you have a decent GPA this test should not be that hard. Take some time to review the content (watch videos, make flashcards, etc.) and take a few practice tests and one should be good to go. I feel like most they just weren't studying smart.

This is, in-fact, a funny quote from a less informed pre-med.

Reactions: 15 users
Not necessarily a "less informed" premed per se, but someone I met at an interview who was slightly off-putting (I just remembered this today!)

Scene: About 20 interviewees talking to each other before it started.

Him: Hey! How's it going?
Me: Not bad, a little nervous for this, but I'm fine.
Him: What school did you go to?
Me: I go to ___
Him: Oh cool. What's it rated?
Me: I'm sorry?
Him: What is the ranking of the school?
Me: Oh, I have no idea.
Him: It's okay man, you can tell me.
Me: I'm sorry, I really don't know.
Him: Mine's #12. I think it's really helped me so far.
Me: That's awesome, congratulations.

But the joke's on him, because my interviewer went to my school.

This reminds me of a kid who's fun fact on interview day was that he "graduated #1 in his major".

Darn he must've been fun at parties.

Reactions: 5 users
trying to stay on topic, ive heard that google protects their users IP addresses and location very intensely, and most likely wouldnt give it up for a witch hunt driven by a school unless a court order was made (and thats highly unlikely)
You are right. My point is that there is a precedent, hence there is potential action.

I remember when I told this sophomore in my Immunology Lab I was taking the MCAT sometime after graduation he was extremely surprised because he thought you could only take it during undergrad.

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of Facebook and Instagram posts lately that read like this:

"Just took my mcat practice exam. I got 498! The test is out of 528 so that means I got a 94%! Med school here I come!"

Reactions: 33 users
So now when I hear pre-meds say, "I want to go to either Harvard or Stanford," I just want to slap some sense into them. Or watch them get two rejections. Both would be kinda satisfying.

It's only funny until it's one of your good friends who is otherwise a good dude, but just oblivious to the whole process and even bragged about getting secondaries from harvard to everyone we know, and applied to a bunch of Cali's, top 20, and random state schools. Also only revelant clinical experience was a family members illness, which was the topic of many of his essays, and seems to be a common point in this thread.

I feel like most moms do this. My mom keeps telling her friends that I am studying oncology as a pre-med along with getting my physics degree. Granted I only see her once a year so I don't talk to her enough for her to understand the difference between my current education and my future interests.

My favorite thing that many non-premeds say (and some new, uninformed pre-meds) every time they figure out that I am a physics major: "why are you majoring in physics? that has nothing to do with the body, aren't you supposed to take biology or something?"
This is usually followed up with me watching their eyes glaze over as I continue to explain how the major isn't important as long as the pre-reqs are completed. I usually don't tell people my major anymore unless they specifically ask.

I'm a physics major too! And I think that the mindset behind our "models" approach to studying stuff (like the classical vs. relativistic model) has given me a new appreciation for medicine tbh, because I don't usually find that approach in biology and psychology.

I usually just say that radiology is a field of medicine which is intimately rooted in physics--I've met literal "physicists" (straight up their job title) at hospitals. I think the two fields share a close relationship :)

On the first day of our A&P class, the professor asked us to introduce ourselves and define our career goals briefly since this would be a tight knit class of 25. Around 20 people in the class mentioned that they were set on being orthopedic surgeons and were pretty confident that they'd make it fairly easily. In fact, they would even "major in orthopedics" in med school. Fast forward to the end of the year and MCAT studying. These same people didn't study for the MCAT since they were Bio majors compared to me ( a lowly Chem/Physics major). They told me it was pretty stupid of me to choose any other major besides Bio and that I'd really struggle. We took the MCAT together last year, and after the MCAT scores came out, for some reason, now they all want to either teach Science in a school setting or get a MS in public health since being a doctor "is no longer the same and in the next 10 years will no longer have any legit impact on people's lives."

Sometimes, I wish I had that kind of confidence in my assertions, no matter how dumb they may be.

for some reason, now they all want to either teach Science in a school setting or get a MS in public health since being a doctor "is no longer the same and in the next 10 years will no longer have any legit impact on people's lives."

Depressing AND amusing!

Last edited:
On the first day of our A&P class, the professor asked us to introduce ourselves and define our career goals briefly since this would be a tight knit class of 25. Around 20 people in the class mentioned that they were set on being orthopedic surgeons and were pretty confident that they'd make it fairly easily. In fact, they would even "major in orthopedics" in med school. Fast forward to the end of the year and MCAT studying. These same people didn't study for the MCAT since they were Bio majors compared to me ( a lowly Chem/Physics major). They told me it was pretty stupid of me to choose any other major besides Bio and that I'd really struggle. We took the MCAT together last year, and after the MCAT scores came out, for some reason, now they all want to either teach Science in a school setting or get a MS in public health since being a doctor "is no longer the same and in the next 10 years will no longer have any legit impact on people's lives."

Sometimes, I wish I had that kind of confidence in my assertions, no matter how dumb they may be.

Meh, at least they chose to do things that are still going to hopefully positively impact others. Most of the premed-quitters I know we're like, "Actually, consulting sounds great!" or... *quietly transfers to CS*

Today ... At the doc office, there was a pre Med that blew my head off:

"What are you studying"
I grudgingly replied "medicine"
"Oh me too!"
Thinking I'm talking to a med student "what year are you?"
"I'm a junior"
(I realized she was pre med at this point)

Her: "So what are you going into?"
"Probably internal med or something"
"So are you going to be a nurse? MA? NP?"

... Then I just had to say this:
"So are you applying to med school to be a CRNA?"
She's like: "No silly - med school is to become a doctor"

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 13 users
One more story - a few months back. I was on call on surgery rotation. I thought I'd grab a drink ahead of time to prep for this 20 some hour shift. I'm there at starbucks before they closed and this premed comes up to me and says "you shouldn't drink so much coffee at night, it would keep you up"

I"m like "Yes. I know... that's the point"

He said "sleep is important you know"

I'm like "yes I know..."

"maybe you should order a hot cup of milk instead".

"Ok... thanks for the advice..." *Ignores and buys coffee anyways*

"I'm a pre-med - and I'm just trying to give you advice, you don't need to ignore me"

"Sorry pre med, I'm running late to my 20 some hour on call surgery shift. Bye".

Reactions: 35 users
"I'm a pre-med - and I'm just trying to give you advice, you don't need to ignore me"
This had me crying lol I can just imagine the whole "I'm a pre-med, you know" vibe going on. If some fellow pre-med came up to me and tried to give me health advice, I would just milk it and start asking a bunch of questions like "my dad's got high cholesterol, do you know what diet he should have to lower it? Oh, and my grandpa has cancer, what course of treatment should he undergo?" That's a gold mine for uninformed quotes from pre-meds lol

Reactions: 9 users
I don't understand people like that.
Insecurity, a desire to be valIdated by his harsh, unloving parents that never said "good job" to him, a thirst to demonstrate a power move to his competitors, a really misplaced way to gauge his competition that day, the possibilities are endless

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Insecurity, a desire to be valIdated by his harsh, unloving parents that never said "good job" to him, a thirst to demonstrate a power move to his competitors, a really misplaced way to gauge his competition that day, the possibilities are endless

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile
Yeah. By and large the people I met on interviews were great people like 99% percent of the time. That one guy was a little off putting, and there was another guy that was just plain weird. But besides that, no complaints!

Human behavior makes a lot more sense when you realize that 98% of humans are actively in denial about something life-changing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Human behavior makes a lot more sense when you realize that 98% of humans are actively in denial about something life-changing.

Paramedic here - I once had a patient having chest pain, "it comes and goes, not a big deal".... Do the 12 lead, of course he's having a heart attack. "Sir, you're having a heart attack". Bring him to the hospital, cardiologist meets us in the ambulance bay, looks at the 12 lead, "Sir, you're having a heart attack". We go straight to the cath lab, the doctor is talking to him trying to get consent as we roll along, the whole time the guy is like "I don't think this is necessary, I'm fine, it's not a big deal". We lift him over onto the table and he goes, "just give me a minute here, I think I can fix this" :rolleyes::p

Last edited:
Paramedic here - I once had a patient having chest pain, "it comes and goes, not a big deal".... Do the 12 lead, of course he's having a heart attack. "Sir, you're having a heart attack". Bring him to the hospital, cardiologist meets us in the ambulance bay, looks at the 12 lead, "Sir, you're having a heart attack". We go straight to the cath lab, the doctor is talking to him trying to get consent as we roll along, the whole time the guy is like "I don't think this is necessary, I'm fine, it's not a big deal". We lift him over onto the table and he goes, "just give me a minute here, I think I can fix this" :rolleyes::p

WHAT?!

"Stand back while I attempt to fix this MI!"

Bh1hqffCQAEmPFU.jpg

Reactions: 7 users