Future as a vet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stormystormdays

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to this website but it seems like this is what will help me understand my future.

So I'm finishing up my 2nd year of high school and just barely realized that I'm not going to stay a kid forever and that I needed to start thinking about my future. I want to be a vet and I'm re studying everything I've learned in the past (algebra, science) because I had not done so well on them.
My plans were to go to Bakersfield Community College after graduation and take all science related courses to get into Davis Vetinary University.
I only recently found out that you couldn't get your bachelor's degree at CC and that you needed to transfer to a 4 year college to finish it....but I heard that Davis Vet School won't accept you without a bachelor's degree...
I'm just very confused right now as to what I should do. I want to be a vet and go to Davis since it's pretty close to home. Do I go to CC and then transfer to a 4 year college, and THEN try and apply for Davis? Also, I heard that even the best students had to reapply to Davis because they just keep rejecting so many applications, do you think if you try hard enough you'd eventually get in? Or should you just quit after the 20th time? Haha
I'm just very nervous and would like to get advice on what you guys have/are doing.
Thanks in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Go to a CC, do your 60 credits and get good grades, transfer to a 4-year & get good grades, apply to UC Davis (I assume that's what you're talking about).

In the meantime, get a wide breadth of experience, vet, animal and research experience. Also non-related work experience. Be able to show on your application that you understand how the real world works. All vets schools are incredibly competitive, even the ones that are easier to get in to (UC Davis is not one of those).

Trying hard means busting your ass the next couple years. Then again, you're only a sophomore in high school so don't worry too much yet. High school grades don't really count (trust me, mine were awful) but college grades very much count. Focus on being a teenager right now, having fun, and getting some animal/vet experience if you can. At your age I'm guessing volunteering at the local animal shelter.

Eventually shadowing/working at a vet clinic, working for college professors, getting internships, etc will all come when you're college age

On a side note: That you didn't know you couldn't get a bachelor' from a community college blows my mind. Talk to a counselor at your high school about college, they'll give you the low down and better prepare you for what to expect

On a side note: That you didn't know you couldn't get a bachelor' from a community college blows my mind. Talk to a counselor at your high school about college, they'll give you the low down and better prepare you for what to expect

Eh. I think it's all a matter of context. I didn't really realize CCs didn't offer bachelor degrees until I was quite a bit older than the OP. I always just assumed that a "college" had 4-yr degrees. If you've never looked into it, why would you know?

@Stormystormdays ...
1. Go to the CC and start in on pre-reqs and then transfer to a university to finish them up. Or just go to the university. Get a 3.6+ GPA. Better yet, just put in the effort and get a 4.0. It's not that hard.
2. Get a job or shadow in the industry.
3. Be a real human being who gives back to your community somehow. Play cards with lonely older people. Volunteer at a food shelf. Teach swimming to kids. Whatever.
4. Many people take multiple attempts to get in.
5. Start compiling a list of schools to which you might be interested and make a list of their specific pre-reqs and what sorts of classes (Community College or not, in particular) fulfill them.
6. Learn to spell "veterinary". :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Eh. I think it's all a matter of context. I didn't really realize CCs didn't offer bachelor degrees until I was quite a bit older than the OP. I always just assumed that a "college" had 4-yr degrees. If you've never looked into it, why would you know?

@Stormystormdays ...
1. Go to the CC and start in on pre-reqs and then transfer to a university to finish them up. Or just go to the university. Get a 3.6+ GPA. Better yet, just put in the effort and get a 4.0.
2. Get a job or shadow in the industry.
3. Be a real human being who gives back to your community somehow. Play cards with lonely older people. Volunteer at a food shelf. Teach swimming to kids. Whatever.
4. Many people take multiple attempts to get in.
5. Start compiling a list of schools to which you might be interested and make a list of their specific pre-reqs and what sorts of classes (Community College or not, in particular) fulfill them.
6. Learn to spell "veterinary". :)

You just want someone to play cards with you... :p

Reactions: 3 users