Future Comfort Dental Dentists, BEWARE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cold Front

Supreme Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 1 users
Corporate dentistry sucks ass, period.

However, having said that, there probably isn't much new grads can do but be used by these dental black eyes, and they know it. Too inexperienced to start a business, too raw in the eyes of many private practitioners for associateships, with a mountain of student loans, most would have no choice but to be used by these scumbags.

My advice is to understand these limitations, use corporate dental as a source of guaranteed salary and experience, and stay no more than two years. Anything beyond that is redundant and harmful., staying too long can also warp the way you think and permanently damage your perception of the proper way to practice dentistry because you will be continuously marinated in the corporate philosophy. I remember when I was working at MyDentist. Every couple weeks they would have a 'dental director' come down from OKC to do study groups, ostensibly to 'learn.' In reality, the dental director simply plays videos like frank spears where they try to brainwash you on how much money you should aim to make per hour. If you really learn to think solely like that, you can't possibly have your patients best interests at heart, which I think is the true long term catalyst for success.

Reactions: 8 users
Corporate dentistry sucks ass, period.

However, having said that, there probably isn't much new grads can do but be used by these dental black eyes, and they know it. Too inexperienced to start a business, too raw in the eyes of many private practitioners for associateships, with a mountain of student loans, most would have no choice but to be used by these scumbags.

My advice is to understand these limitations, use corporate dental as a source of guaranteed salary and experience, and stay no more than two years. Anything beyond that is redundant and harmful., staying too long can also warp the way you think and permanently damage your perception of the proper way to practice dentistry because you will be continuously marinated in the corporate philosophy. I remember when I was working at MyDentist. Every couple weeks they would have a 'dental director' come down from OKC to do study groups, ostensibly to 'learn.' In reality, the dental director simply plays videos like frank spears where they try to brainwash you on how much money you should aim to make per hour. If you really learn to think solely like that, you can't possibly have your patients best interests at heart, which I think is the true long term catalyst for success.
100% true.

I think corporate dentistry has become year 5 and 6 of dental school (for some more), where new grads have to go the extra mile or 2 to get on their feet and find their place in the profession. I agree that there is a lot of benefit in corporate dentistry in the beginning, because its almost like a boot camp, new grads will be pushed to see more patients and think on their feet. It's a difficult and important way to start to the profession, but also a confidence building step that prepares them for private practice.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Very interesting links posted about Comfort. Still thru are much different from what we commonly refer to "Corporate Dentistry".
I have serval friends who have been partners at Comfort for several years and they have occasionally grumbled but by in large they are happy the re. You have plenty of opportunity to find out what you are getting into before you buy-in.

I enjoy following crap like this and have to stop and remind myself that the article and court document are simply allegations of wrong doing. Comfort will fight back and the muddy waters will become clear, for our against them. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out and who turns out having the legal high ground.

It is not the first time franchisees have sued their parent company. Subway, Burger King etc, have all been in the same boat.
People are quick to enjoy the benefits of a franchise: more predictable profits, proven business model, systems, cost savings, network, etc. Then when they think they have it figured out they try to change or tweak the business model.
But, you are right. People have to be aware that Franchise models are not for everyone. They do have boundaries, protocols, systems, etc that must be followed. They have a say in how you do business and they have a hand in your pot. One must weigh whether or not the positives outweigh the negatives. Most disgruntled partners failed to fully consider or grasp the details of the definition of the term franchisee and it's implications while choosing to focus on their potential income by entering into the arrangement.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/28/smbusiness/subway.saga/

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/33893367/...t/burger-king-franchisees-sue-over-promotion/

Just a couple of many.

Good post Cold Front. Every little bit of effort to provide transparency on Corporate Dentistry is needed.

This Kushner character reminds me of David Alameel. He's deluded himself into thinking he's the king of dentistry and everybody else needs to adopt his system. (Talk about drinking your own kool-aid).

The guy needs to just sell his business to an investment bank and retire, before he strokes out.

Comfort does what corporate does best. Finding creative ways to screw people.

It is not the first time franchisees have sued their parent company. Subway, Burger King etc, have all been in the same boat.
People are quick to enjoy the benefits of a franchise: more predictable profits, proven business model, systems, cost savings, network, etc. Then when they think they have it figured out they try to change or tweak the business model.
But, you are right. People have to be aware that Franchise models are not for everyone. They do have boundaries, protocols, systems, etc that must be followed. They have a say in how you do business and they have a hand in your pot. One must weigh whether or not the positives outweigh the negatives. Most disgruntled partners failed to fully consider or grasp the details of the definition of the term franchisee and it's implications while choosing to focus on their potential income by entering into the arrangement.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/28/smbusiness/subway.saga/

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/33893367/...t/burger-king-franchisees-sue-over-promotion/

Just a couple of many.
Did you just compare dentistry to fast-food chains?

We both know the business model of corporate dental chains has led to overtreating patients. That's not even up for debate, that's the center of all corporate dental issues - that the #1 priority for the owners is to use doctors to get to their financial goals, and this includes Comfort Dental. If you disagree with this statement, then you are one of those doctors that the corporate owners are keeping too busy to realize the business model.

Here is what the Comfort Dental owner said:

In an article on Dentaltown, dated October 2012 Comfort Dental founder, Rick Kushner said: -

“Corporate dentistry scares the hell out of me for two reasons: first, whether they get their money from the public or from private equity, corporate dentistry will always have only one priority: demonstrate more profit. (By the way, Comfort Dental has only one original money source: me. Oh and a couple of local banks. Of course, every single Comfort partner is equity invested in his/her own Comfort partnership.) And secondly, as a dental “chain” we are unfairly lumped together with corporate dentistry by ignorant dentists including DSIs (dental school instructors) and of course, some patients. Structurally and philosophically we at Comfort are as far from corporate dentistry as traditional private practice. Had the profession listened to me instead of attacked me over the past few decades, the professional landscape would be saturated with Lean & Mean group type practices so prosperous that there would have been neither need nor room for corporate dentistry. So again, how did corporate dentistry happen? It’s dentists’ fault. It’s DSIs (dental school instructors) fault. It’s not my fault; it’s their fault. Dental practices were so bad for so long with their 80 percent overheads and their hygiene-heavy practices that businessmen in business suits looked at them and instinctively knew they could do better and keep the difference in profits. And guess what? They were right. Businessmen in business suits looked at dental practice and knew they could handle our business better than dentists. So they did. Not my fault. I warned dentists but they were smarter than me. Graduates laden with debt and corporate dentistry are a match made in heaven. “

Don't compare dentistry to Burgery King, Starbucks, TireDiscounts, United Airlines or any other corporation. It's jut too disrespectful to hear that from another dentist.

I read the whole thing and no doubt Rick Kushner is a real D*****bag, whether the accusations are true or not.

The sad thing is that these corporates really aren't accountable to anyone. They deal a lot with Medicaid (which is primarily for poor people and uses taxpayer money). These corporate chains have their wall-st backed buddies to lobby our politicians to make sure that they aren't accountable and get the rules changed to fit their desires. This is perfectly exemplified with Mitt Romney and his son Tagg Romney. These goons formed a 'investment firm' called Solamere Capital which basically would give politicians unrestricted access to politicians. Who is one of the biggest donors to this firm? Dental management companies. This is textbook crony capitalism.

I remember when I was working at MyDentist. Every couple weeks they would have a 'dental director' come down from OKC to do study groups, ostensibly to 'learn.' In reality, the dental director simply plays videos like frank spears where they try to brainwash you on how much money you should aim to make per hour. If you really learn to think solely like that, you can't possibly have your patients best interests at heart, which I think is the true long term catalyst for success.

This sounds exactly like what Lutheran Medical is doing (they've opened up like 500 pediatric dental residencies in the past few years). Apparently they make their residents watch videos lol. There is no instruction or real teaching except for the videos. What a joke.

This sounds exactly like what Lutheran Medical is doing (they've opened up like 500 pediatric dental residencies in the past few years). Apparently they make their residents watch videos lol. There is no instruction or real teaching except for the videos. What a joke.

It's no joke, it's true brainwashing. The CEO of MyDentist told me point blank one time that he liked new grads because they are 'moldable,' which really means that they are 'brainwashable.' You take new grads, blast them with videos after videos on placing production maximization as the one and only goal, and have them put it into practice day after day, voila--you get your perfect automatons doing your bidding. You will soon cease to see patients as human beings and rather as "opportunities."

@Cold Front sorry if you take offense to my comparison. But the Comfort Dental model is a franchise. If you fail to see the similarities and relevance to other franchises I do not know what to say.
But I will say that all of us could learn a great deal by listening to Rick Kushner-like him or not. And to be fair, they are one of the few large dental groups without private equity money backing them. And because they are franchised out and owned and operated by practicing owner dentists they are 100% accountable. They are accountable to their patients and their peers and dental boards of their states-just the same as every other dentist. I am not a fan of Private Equity taking over dentistry but Comfort models may be our last hope.
And by the way, because there is a buy-in there is much less turnover.

@Cold Front sorry if you take offense to my comparison. But the Comfort Dental model is a franchise. If you fail to see the similarities and relevance to other franchises I do not know what to say.
But I will say that all of us could learn a great deal by listening to Rick Kushner-like him or not. And to be fair, they are one of the few large dental groups without private equity money backing them. And because they are franchised out and owned and operated by practicing owner dentists they are 100% accountable. They are accountable to their patients and their peers and dental boards of their states-just the same as every other dentist. I am not a fan of Private Equity taking over dentistry but Comfort models may be our last hope.
And by the way, because there is a buy-in there is much less turnover.
Comfort Dental has about 500-600 dentists as franchisee (about 0.5% of all active dentists in the country), and charge about 50% less for treatments than other dentists do. To me, that explains a lot about why Comfort Dental offices are set up like dental schools from the 90's; with no digital X-rays and bare minimum equipment - according to my Henry Schein rep. Owner dentists are trained to listen to franchiser protocols first, including how patients should be treatment planned. You make Rick Kushner as if he is focused on the well being of the patients that are seen by his franchisee doctors, where in fact profits are the sole purpose of the business model. He might have convinced few states to allow his franchise offices to operate, but most states prohibit licensed dentists from entering into arrangements with phony proprietors and specifically prohibit the franchise practice of dentistry all together.

Do everyone a favor. Don't do the legwork for Rick Kushner and brainwash dental students and new graduates into thinking that Comfort Dental is the best thing that will happen to their career, when in fact it will be exactly the opposite.

You can lead a horse to water but can't force it to drink.

By the way, haven't you ever heard of the saying: "There is no such thing as bad publicity"?
If you are so worried let it lie and there will be less free marketing for him.

The crazy thing is that if people want to look into their model they will show you exactly how much everyone is making. The average is in the three hundred k+.
And they treat patients you and I refuse to treat.
It ain't all bad and you won't be able to ever stifle the conversation about them. The more we exaggerate the flaws of their model the less credibility we have. So, pardon me but I am going to keep you honest. :)
You can say: I would never wavy to be a partner at Comfort because I loathe cleaning teeth. Hygienists exist for a reason. There is no way I am doing all those flipping prophies and SRP. That is a great point.
The technology is an issue for me too. CBCT is quickly becoming standard of care for many treatments.
But like I say you can get a lot of pearls from that guy and the behemoth he had created.

Another crazy thing that happens to comfort dental partnerships... Greed is always good over there.

http://blog.dentistthemenace.com/2014/05/franchise-or-ponzi-dental-scheme.html?m=1

“During the meeting, Rick Kushner told Scott Lowery that “he should take him out to the parking lot and beat the living **** out of him.”

“During the following 2 weeks, I decided that I would not pay the fine…there were a number of follow-up email messages, the upshot of which being that I was not allowed to sell my interest in the Louisville (CO) office, one that I had paid approximately $450,000…”

“In the end, I just walked away from this sad chapter of my life, effective October 31, 2012.”

WOW --- Dental Students and Pre-Dents you need to read this. This is mandatory reading. This poor guy paid $450,000 to set up an office for Comfort Dental. Be wary of the word "Partnership"

“During the meeting, Rick Kushner told Scott Lowery that “he should take him out to the parking lot and beat the living **** out of him.”

“During the following 2 weeks, I decided that I would not pay the fine…there were a number of follow-up email messages, the upshot of which being that I was not allowed to sell my interest in the Louisville (CO) office, one that I had paid approximately $450,000…”

“In the end, I just walked away from this sad chapter of my life, effective October 31, 2012.”

WOW --- Dental Students and Pre-Dents you need to read this. This is mandatory reading. This poor guy paid $450,000 to set up an office for Comfort Dental. Be wary of the word "Partnership"

Partnerships are questionable to begin with but partnerships with corporate....well, let's just say its like handcuffing yourself with an ogre. Corporate culture has always based on bullying and fear, and Kushner and his minions behavior simply confirm that.

Wow sounds like Comfort is run by mobsters. No professionalism whatsoever. I see their ads run in various dental magazines, and it does seem like a shady business. Who would want to spend a boatload on dental education, only to be treated like slaves by corporate bullies?
I agree.

New grads have tons of stress and worries under their belt when they enter the market, particularly the ever growing debt. They can't afford to blow it all away on corporate dentistry.

I agree.

New grads have tons of stress and worries under their belt when they enter the market, particularly the ever growing debt. They can't afford to blow it all away on corporate dentistry.

Unfortunately most will have little choice but to do so, that's the unfortunate part.