Future DVMs- C/O 2021!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How are you guys filling out the "Status" of your experiences? Part time/full time/temporary/etc. I've said part time for most things, because the others didn't seem to fit. Not sure what's "proper" in this case!

Not sure what is right, but i've been using full-time as the name implies, part-time to mean a job that is ongoing throughout the year but not a full-time job, temporary when its only for a specific amount of time (for instance a research position that was only intended to be one semester long), and I'm just not using per-diem at all.

Members don't see this ad.

What are examples of temporary? I've been using that mostly on mine unless it was consistent job. What about for showing livestock?

Sorry for all the questions, but I have another question on experience:

Are people adding in leisure activities in their animal experience if it involved animals?

When I was living in Argentina, we travelled down to Patagonia and did a 5 night horseback riding trek though the national park there with this women: http://www.caroljones.com.ar/the-rides.html

Basically it was a solid day of horseback riding each day and then setting up camp for the night in different locations. Should I put this down as animal experience?

On a somewhat related note, When I was a kid (like 10-12) I went to horseback riding camps in the summertime. We would ride horses but also learn how to take care of them and deal with saddles, etc. I'm hesitant to put those hours down because it was SO LONG AGO (I'm 36 now, so this was like 25 years ago). I dont know, I go back and forth between putting everything imaginable down, and leaving stuff out because it was so long ago and seems like it wouldn't really benefit the application.

I put down my several years of horseback riding experience. It was over 10 years ago but it's one of the reasons I ended up loving horses! I think you should put everything down that gave you some experience one way or another.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
What are examples of temporary? I've been using that mostly on mine unless it was consistent job. What about for showing livestock?

Just to add on to this question, what about something like horseback riding lessons?

Just to add on to this question, what about something like horseback riding lessons?

I did horseback riding lessons from the summer before 7th grade until the week before college and I definitely put those hours on my app. It was equine animal experience that taught me a lot about horses, a lot about dedication, and a lot about how to improve yourself.

Reactions: 1 user

Temporary, for me at least, are my one day events. Like I went to the one place and I helped them kid Russian dwarf goats one day. That's temporary vs my summer job which is part time.

How are you guys filling out the "Status" of your experiences? Part time/full time/temporary/etc. I've said part time for most things, because the others didn't seem to fit. Not sure what's "proper" in this case!

I've been using full and part time for regular, scheduled jobs/volunteering that was either 40+ or less each week. I've put temporary things the way mht2k3 said; positions with a scheduled duration, such as semester-long or summer internships. I've been using per diem for things that are a one-time event, or like for clubs where I sign up to volunteer at events that don't occur regularly (4 hour dog wash, 1 hour trash clean up, 2 hour maintenance, etc) so my hours change each week depending on what I've signed up for or if I'm doing anything at all. No idea if that's how they're supposed to be used, but I'm hoping the schools understand or don't care.

Temporary to me is when something has an end date. For example, I spent two summers working with loons. That was considered a seasonal job, as the job went from May-August.

I did horseback riding lessons from the summer before 7th grade until the week before college and I definitely put those hours on my app. It was equine animal experience that taught me a lot about horses, a lot about dedication, and a lot about how to improve yourself.

Ah I meant whether that should be listed as part time or temporary. But that's definitely a good way to put what was learned from it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah I meant whether that should be listed as part time or temporary. But that's definitely a good way to put what was learned from it!

Oh! lol. In that case, I put it as part time.

That's what I meant too! Lol not sure on what to put for showing livestock/farmhand/ or clubs/extracurriculars

Isn't this the same vmcas account that kind of tried to dismantle the What are me chances thread? Lol
What's wrong with the 'what are my chances' thread? It instills a healthy dose of fear, panic, realization, and self-loathing!

Reactions: 2 users
What's wrong with the 'what are my chances' thread? It instills a healthy dose of fear, panic, realization, and self-loathing!

Finally, something that describes how I feel when I read that thread.

Reactions: 1 users
So I'm wanting to retake the GRE as late as possible (but still early enough so there won't be panic), and I'm looking on the individual vet school websites. The earliest is Purdue's September 15th GRE deadline... So would taking it early August (like the 3rd) be enough time? Or do I need to take it in late July? :unsure:

Finally, something that describes how I feel when I read that thread.
Oh I completely understand. I've gotten comments like "I would honestly consider taking a year off and just focus on getting experience and retaking the GRE" and "My honest opinion is that you don't have enough hours to be competitive at this time". Like ohhhkayy. Thanks for the heartbreak and self-loathing. +pissed+

So I'm wanting to retake the GRE as late as possible (but still early enough so there won't be panic), and I'm looking on the individual vet school websites. The earliest is Purdue's September 15th GRE deadline... So would taking it early August (like the 3rd) be enough time? Or do I need to take it in late July? :unsure:
I think you could technically take it up until the end of August, it just depends on if you want to submit at the last minute or not. I'm taking it in June, which would just give me enough time to retake it in August before September 15th rolls around.

Oh I completely understand. I've gotten comments like "I would honestly consider taking a year off and just focus on getting experience and retaking the GRE" and "My honest opinion is that you don't have enough hours to be competitive at this time". Like ohhhkayy. Thanks for the heartbreak and self-loathing. +pissed+
At least if you're prepared to not get in, it can only get better. :p

I have a quick question about course work entry. I have input and matched all my coursework with my official transcript and am ready to finalize. However, I will be taking summer classes. Should I wait until I am done with those classes or will I be able to go back in and change things once I review and finalize everything? I was hoping to be able to start matching prerequisites with the schools I am applying to since I am applying to quite a few and it takes awhile.

At least if you're prepared to not get in, it can only get better. :p
If I don't get in (since I'm actually applying as a junior- will have degree at the end of the first year of vet school) I only have one semester left of school. I'm going to either spend the second semester working and getting hours or "studying" abroad and not giving af about hard classes.

If I don't get in (since I'm actually applying as a junior- will have degree at the end of the first year of vet school) I only have one semester left of school. I'm going to either spend the second semester working and getting hours or "studying" abroad and not giving af about hard classes.

Not giving af about hard classes sounds wonderful :thumbup:

Why ask if you don't want to hear the answers? You ask for honest opinions and you'll get them. You shouldn't take it as an insult, people are giving you ideas to help you succeed

Reactions: 5 users
I took two classes to fulfill my generals - rock climbing and horseback riding. They're in the "Human Performance" department at my school, which is not a VMCAS subject option. What subject might these fall under? Phy ed?
ETA: health? They're within the college of health and nursing.

I shadowed necropsies last summer. The vet I made arrangements through took a long time to respond when we were ironing out the details. I e-mailed twice and left a voice mail message within a ~1. 5 month span (after I'd already spoken with him and he'd said yes to my being there). It turned out he'd been out of town and hadn't received my e-mails. After I called he e-mailed me back and we had everything sorted really quickly.

So, I'm trying to arrange to come back this summer and shadow again. I e-mailed him the beginning of April to make arrangements for summer. Nothing. E-mailed again end of April. Nothing. Left a voice mail message yesterday, still nothing. It's not completely unusual, considering last summer, but it's still making me worry that I won't get to shadow there again. There was a change of management this January when someone retired, and things have been changing, and one of my supervisors had an argument/falling out with the person I'm trying to contact. I don't think it's related to the lack of response, but maybe? I hope not. They had invited me to stay on during the semester but it wasn't going to work with my class schedule, so I'm assuming/hoping that it's not that they just don't want me to come back. I really hope this doesn't drag out into nothingness, and that I just never hear from them. :(

Last edited:
My GRE scores just came in at 11:59. Almost had a heart attack, but luckily my scores weren't readjusted like my Verbal was last year, they're the same as what showed after I finished the test, whew. And my writing score came out to 4.5, was hoping to reach 5 but it's still 80th percentile so I'll take it! If only I wasn't such a suck at math, my percentile there is still below average despite my bringing it up a few points.

Really wish VMCAS had followed through on that rumor that they'd start accepting GRE scores so we wouldn't have to worry about getting them in to every individual school...

Why ask if you don't want to hear the answers? You ask for honest opinions and you'll get them. You shouldn't take it as an insult, people are giving you ideas to help you succeed
I may have been unclear, but I was being sarcastic/ joking when I was talking about how badly I felt. What I mean is, yes, it sucks to hear that you're not as set as you thought you were- it definitely knocks you down a few notches. But then you get back up and do what you can do. I'd rather hear it now from stranger than from admissions boards in the future

I took two classes to fulfill my generals - rock climbing and horseback riding. They're in the "Human Performance" department at my school, which is not a VMCAS subject option. What subject might these fall under? Phy ed?
ETA: health? They're within the college of health and nursing.

I would consider them Phys Ed. I took snowboarding and yoga at my first undergrad :D.

I know I'm jumping the gun here a little bit as it's only May *but* I was just lying in bed this morning and thinking about the potential interviews I may get. I was thinking about how to answer the questions and I realized someone is probably going to be like "um hey you got a D in physics the first time, wtf is that about?" I searched the forum but couldn't really find anything that addresses the best way to answer questions like this. Obviously you want to be honest and not blame your teacher, but I honestly don't know what I'd say other than something along the lines of I just really dropped the ball. Of course that kind of answer is probably not the best one, so what are some of yalls thoughts? I mean literally, there was no excuse, I was honestly super depressed and had just moved to a new place, with no friends or family. It was the first time i'd been away from my mom and I felt really overwhelmed at a huge university and felt like I had no social support. My husband was at school literally about 13-15 hours a day every day. I kind just fell into a funk and didn't really care for a few months. Idk, any thoughts are appreciated.

I know I'm jumping the gun here a little bit as it's only May *but* I was just lying in bed this morning and thinking about the potential interviews I may get. I was thinking about how to answer the questions and I realized someone is probably going to be like "um hey you got a D in physics the first time, wtf is that about?" I searched the forum but couldn't really find anything that addresses the best way to answer questions like this. Obviously you want to be honest and not blame your teacher, but I honestly don't know what I'd say other than something along the lines of I just really dropped the ball. Of course that kind of answer is probably not the best one, so what are some of yalls thoughts? I mean literally, there was no excuse, I was honestly super depressed and had just moved to a new place, with no friends or family. It was the first time i'd been away from my mom and I felt really overwhelmed at a huge university and felt like I had no social support. My husband was at school literally about 13-15 hours a day every day. I kind just fell into a funk and didn't really care for a few months. Idk, any thoughts are appreciated.

You pretty much answered your own question. You were struggling to adjust, but ultimately you did adjust and the positive spin is that you can use those coping strategies you learned to get through vet school. Honestly, they only have so much time in an interview to evaluate you, asking about one grade in your whole college career is not the best way to spend that time, there are far better questions they could ask. Depending on the school, the interview might even be closed file, so they won't know anything about you beforehand, only what you bring up. You can definitely look at the interview feedback from those schools you are interested in and get a feel for the questions they tend to ask if it is still nagging at you.

As far as interview techniques the only advice I can offer is from job interviews. When looking at a potential black mark on the record, you have to think of a way to turn it into a positive. For instance, "yes I did extremely poorly, but that taught me to use these new study tips I picked up, which drove me to do better in the rest of my classes. I also learned a lot from the experience and now have a much better life balance because of it." You also want to mention that these circumstances, whatever they were, cannot happen again for whatever reason. You have better coping mechanisms, or are better able to handle pressure due to X, Y, and Z. Always think about how to turn your negatives into positives!

EDIT: Besides physics sucks! lol

You pretty much answered your own question. You were struggling to adjust, but ultimately you did adjust and the positive spin is that you can use those coping strategies you learned to get through vet school. Honestly, they only have so much time in an interview to evaluate you, asking about one grade in your whole college career is not the best way to spend that time, there are far better questions they could ask. Depending on the school, the interview might even be closed file, so they won't know anything about you beforehand, only what you bring up. You can definitely look at the interview feedback from those schools you are interested in and get a feel for the questions they tend to ask if it is still nagging at you.
Ok, I was just wasn't sure if that answer was appropriate. I guess like you and @Coopah said, spin it into a positive, if it even comes up. Thx!

As far as interview techniques the only advice I can offer is from job interviews. When looking at a potential black mark on the record, you have to think of a way to turn it into a positive. For instance, "yes I did extremely poorly, but that taught me to use these new study tips I picked up, which drove me to do better in the rest of my classes. I also learned a lot from the experience and now have a much better life balance because of it." You also want to mention that these circumstances, whatever they were, cannot happen again for whatever reason. You have better coping mechanisms, or are better able to handle pressure due to X, Y, and Z. Always think about how to turn your negatives into positives!

EDIT: Besides physics sucks! lol
Thanks! Physics is the literal worst. I am retaking in the fall and super nervous.

Thanks! Physics is the literal worst. I am retaking in the fall and super nervous.

Yes it does, but there is tons and tons of help. A lot of schools offer grade replacement too, so if you put that on your "future / planned courses" they may not even calculate that grade into the equation. Best of luck to you and yours. I am so damn happy it was not possible to get a D or C- at my school. :cat:

Poor physics, poor O Chem they get so much hate on these forums lol. A lot of people view them as just weed out classes and (maybe it's just the past physics lab TA in me) but that's the most surface level way to view them. If you go in thinking just that you're probably going to make yourself miserable and you might miss the real point of those classes. The point is to expose you to different ways of thinking, to challenge your problem solving abilities, at the heart of these classes are skills you will need and that's why they're prereqs more so than any real need to know what happens when you throw a tennis ball off a cliff or what an electrophilic attack is.

Reactions: 2 users
Poor physics, poor O Chem they get so much hate on these forums lol. A lot of people view them as just weed out classes and (maybe it's just the past physics lab TA in me) but that's the most surface level way to view them. If you go in thinking just that you're probably going to make yourself miserable and you might miss the real point of those classes. The point is to expose you to different ways of thinking, to challenge your problem solving abilities, at the heart of these classes are skills you will need and that's why they're prereqs more so than any real need to know what happens when you throw a tennis ball off a cliff or what an electrophilic attack is.
Touche. I didn't mind o chem so much, it was a bit more intuitive than physics. I do see that the point is to get you to think critically and analytically. I am giving myself pep talks and I'm determined to do well this time around. I think it was a combo of my mental health, my learning style mixed w the profs teaching style, and just not seeking the help i obviously needed. I know what to expect this go around, and I know it's a struggle so I will need to put in a lot of time inside and outside of the classroom. I aced molecular bio, microbiology, etc w little effort because I liked those classes, so if I tell myself I really like physics, I think I can set myself up to do well.

I had three Ds and three Cs on my transcript, a fact which came up in every single interview I had. The only interview where it wasn't an actual point of conversation was ISU (and I still brought it up as an answer to "Tell us about a time you failed at a goal"). Outside of that, I had almost entirely As.

I just took the complete honesty route. While none of the Ds and only two of the Cs were in pre-req/science classes (started out wanting to do something completely different, hated it, and my GPA definitely showed that), I fully admitted that I wasn't quite ready to handle college-level material at the time and my study methods were beyond sub-par. I did, however, also point towards my science and last 45 hours GPA, which included a semester of physics 1, organic 2, epidemiology, molecular cell biology, and microbiology alongside work, shadowing, and research, where I managed to finish with a 4.0, as evidence that I now felt that I was prepared to handle a heavy science-based curriculum. I also utilized the Expalantation Statement and basically wrote the same thing, albeit more eloquently. Schools seemed pleased with this, and evidently it worked -- zero rejections.

In your case, I also believe that honesty is the best policy. Is the D in physics your only really bad grade? If so, I sincerely doubt that it will significantly impact your chances provided that you can pull an A from the retake and you're GPAs are solid otherwise. I can certainly understand why a situation like yours (depression, moving away, etc.) could lead to an unusually poor grade. It happens. And, to be entirely truthful, I think that the explanation you gave upthread is sufficient. It isn't as if you're going the route of blaming something other than yourself. You are taking responsibility for a mistake you made, you learned from it, and you continued onward, which is an important trait for a medical professional to have and it demonstrates humility on your part, as well.

You could also use the Explanation Statement to state all of this, if you'd like. I know there are people who frown upon using it to explain, say, one or two or even three Cs. But for a D in a pre-req, it might be worth it, especially if you can take a similar approach to mine and follow it up with mounds of evidence about how this was just one small blotch on an otherwise competitive application (be that pointing towards a high last 45 hours GPA, giving an example of a previous semester where you achieved a very high GPA while juggling a lot, or anything similar to that).

Simply admitting that you did "drop the ball" rather than pinning blame on other things sometimes is the best route to take.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a quick question about course work entry. I have input and matched all my coursework with my official transcript and am ready to finalize. However, I will be taking summer classes. Should I wait until I am done with those classes or will I be able to go back in and change things once I review and finalize everything? I was hoping to be able to start matching prerequisites with the schools I am applying to since I am applying to quite a few and it takes awhile.

If it's done the same as last year, you can finalize them and still add more later.... You just have to re-finalize, but I'm pretty sure the pre-reqs I had matched already stayed.

Poor physics, poor O Chem they get so much hate on these forums lol.

At my Mizzou interview, one of the questions was "what's your least favorite class?"
The dean was taking a tally of what was more hated: physics or orgo :laugh:

Reactions: 4 users
You could also use the Explanation Statement to state all of this, if you'd like. I know there are people who frown upon using it to explain, say, one or two or even three Cs.

Why do people frown upon explaining C's? I've never heard that before, and was probably going to use the explanation statement for just that.

I actually didn't mind physics and enjoyed organic chem. Gen chem 2, though? Ugh.

Why do people frown upon explaining C's? I've never heard that before, and was probably going to use the explanation statement for just that.
There was a little bit of discussion about this last cycle. Some people think that using the Explanation Statement to explain away one or two Cs on an otherwise immaculate transcript is "overboard" and can arguably lead to an applicant looking a touch neurotic.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/class-of-2020-applicants.1128724/page-19

Honestly, one or two Cs is probably not worth explaining if your application is strong otherwise. If you have a bunch of Cs? Sure. If you had a few bad semesters with multiple poor grades due to life circumstances? Go for it. If you have grades below Cs, especially in pre-reqs? Absolutely. But for just a few Cs...? I'm not so sure.

I don't know what's wrong with "I dropped the ball." Maybe not specifically those words, but.... it's ok to say "I was struggling with some problems in life, and didn't perform well academically because of it."

I mean. They key is turning it into a positive. You can't turn the D into a positive, but your answer can be positive. Saying "I dropped the ball. But .........." and then highlighting how well you did later once you got the balls all back in the air to be juggled. Devote 33% of your answer to what happened, but 66% of your answer to the evidence after that semester that will convince them they don't need to care about that particular grade.

Yanno?

Reactions: 4 users
I had three Ds and three Cs on my transcript, a fact which came up in every single interview I had. The only interview where it wasn't an actual point of conversation was ISU (and I still brought it up as an answer to "Tell us about a time you failed at a goal"). Outside of that, I had almost entirely As.

I just took the complete honesty route. While none of the Ds and only two of the Cs were in pre-req/science classes (started out wanting to do something completely different, hated it, and my GPA definitely showed that), I fully admitted that I wasn't quite ready to handle college-level material at the time and my study methods were beyond sub-par. I did, however, also point towards my science and last 45 hours GPA, which included a semester of physics 1, organic 2, epidemiology, molecular cell biology, and microbiology alongside work, shadowing, and research, where I managed to finish with a 4.0, as evidence that I now felt that I was prepared to handle a heavy science-based curriculum. I also utilized the Expalantation Statement and basically wrote the same thing, albeit more eloquently. Schools seemed pleased with this, and evidently it worked -- zero rejections.

In your case, I also believe that honesty is the best policy. Is the D in physics your only really bad grade? If so, I sincerely doubt that it will significantly impact your chances provided that you can pull an A from the retake and you're GPAs are solid otherwise. I can certainly understand why a situation like yours (depression, moving away, etc.) could lead to an unusually poor grade. It happens. And, to be entirely truthful, I think that the explanation you gave upthread is sufficient. It isn't as if you're going the route of blaming something other than yourself. You are taking responsibility for a mistake you made, you learned from it, and you continued onward, which is an important trait for a medical professional to have and it demonstrates humility on your part, as well.

You could also use the Explanation Statement to state all of this, if you'd like. I know there are people who frown upon using it to explain, say, one or two or even three Cs. But for a D in a pre-req, it might be worth it, especially if you can take a similar approach to mine and follow it up with mounds of evidence about how this was just one small blotch on an otherwise competitive application (be that pointing towards a high last 45 hours GPA, giving an example of a previous semester where you achieved a very high GPA while juggling a lot, or anything similar to that).

Simply admitting that you did "drop the ball" rather than pinning blame on other things sometimes is the best route to take.
Good for you! That's awesome that you were able to spin your poor grades into something that probably made you seem very real, open and honest, and raw.
The D in Physics is my only *really* bad grade. Aside from it, I have 2 C+s, one in Biochemistry 2 and the other in Biostatistics. I think for the difficulty level of those courses, a C+ isn't all that bad. Plus, they're not pre-reqs for any schools I'm applying to. All my other grades are As or Bs. I do have more Bs than As in the chemistry area admittedly, but I also have always had a ton of other stuff on my plate, so I don't think that'll hurt me much. I have been kicking myself as of late, because I had the choice to take Biostats with an easy prof in which nearly everyone made As, or a harder one (the one I chose) in which you learn a lot, but it's not easy and almost no one comes out with an A. I definitely learned a good bit with the "harder" professor, but an A in place of a C+ is much prettier on a transcript. It's not worth really explaining away a C+, but I digress.

I plan to use the explanation statement to explain my year-long break from school (I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease, underwent radioactive iodine treatment, and really just was in no place physically, mentally, or otherwise to be in school at that point.) I hadn't considered using it for this as well, but I think that's a really good idea. I am definitely going to heed your and others' advice, and own up, and just admit that I had a crappy semester there.

I got a C+ in a graduate level statistics course. I didn't explain it, it was never mentioned at any interview, and I got multiple acceptances. I agree with SandstormDVM: if it's one or two, not that big of a deal.

Two reasons. First, don't create issues where issues don't exist. Highlighting something that they probably would have skipped right past just raises red flags. Second, it says something about your level of anxiety and personality to feel like you have to explain that, and like it or not it gives people an impression that says "wow, the person is really high strung."

That said, if you really feel like you have to explain the grades, then do so. You'll sleep better knowing you did what you felt you had to do.

But if it were me, I would not write an explanation statement for two lousy C's. Nobody cares except you.

This might sound weird but - I'm one of the low GPA people. I think I'll be applying with a 3.2 overall/last 45/science/everything. BUT, I've never had to retake a class, and the lowest grade I've gotten on a prereq was a C+ in calc-based Physics I, but I followed that up with an A- in calc-based Physics II. Everything else has been As and Bs (mostly Bs). Does any of this count for anything? I've seen some higher GPA folks that have had to retake classes, but that's something I haven't had to do. Honestly, I don't even know why my GPA is so low, lol. Bs seem to drag it down a whole lot more than As pull it up!! :unsure: