Future of PET Scans in Psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yoyomama88

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you see clinicians using this routinely to make psychiatric diagnoses in the coming years? Or how about fMRI?

Members don't see this ad.

Which psychiatric diagnoses?

They will certainly continue to be used to diagnose dementia coexisting with delirium on the C/L service I suspect.

Do you see clinicians using this routinely to make psychiatric diagnoses in the coming years? Or how about fMRI?
Given the associated costs and supported needed for PET (cyclotron), I doubt it will get much penetrance into the clinical market. Currently I see no use of any functional imaging clinically as differences can only be demonstrated across Dx with groups of patients, i.e. there is substantial (?>70%?) overlap in both patients and controls at the individual level, rendering its ability to indicate whether a specific pt is abnormal or not minimal. Both modalities continue to be useful for scientific study.

Which psychiatric diagnoses?

They will certainly continue to be used to diagnose dementia coexisting with delirium on the C/L service I suspect.

huh? Who pays for that? Does medicare reimburse that massive amount of money routinely for that indication? If so, just example #3430946723 why our health care system is in such a financial situation.

Reactions: 1 user