future of PM&R

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wes c. adle

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm an MS1 who is just discovering PM&R. After doing some reading, I'm really interested in the field. However, I have noticed that there are relatively few residency programs as compared to other fields. Is this because the demand for PM&R docs is low or is it due to the fact that its still a young field? Do you envision an increase in program numbers by the time I graduate med school? I'm particularly interested in programs in New England.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by wes c. adle
Hey guys,
I'm an MS1 who is just discovering PM&R. After doing some reading, I'm really interested in the field. However, I have noticed that there are relatively few residency programs as compared to other fields. Is this because the demand for PM&R docs is low or is it due to the fact that its still a young field? Do you envision an increase in program numbers by the time I graduate med school? I'm particularly interested in programs in New England.
Thanks.

Hey Wes,
In general, the fewer the number of residency positions, the better for your future. Look at the number of Dermatology or Radiation Oncology spots (about 60 per year).

PM&R is no where near as competitive as the above two fields, but we are not the smallest by any means.

There may be a small increase in residency programs by the time you graduate, but it really will not matter. Fewer residents = more demand for those residents when they graduate. That is why Derm is so lucrative.

PM&R is getting more competitive every season, but at worst I predict it will never be more than moderately difficult to land a residency spot.

All the best.