Future OT needs help deciding...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KatieOT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have recently been accepted to Belmont University's OTD program and Tennessee State University's MS in OT program, and I am having a HUGE problem deciding where to attend.

In a perfect world with no money issues, I would go to Belmont, which I believe has a wonderful program with great professors, facilities, etc. However, this would run me about $130,000 (including undergrad loans). TSU, on the other hand, would total around $55,000 (also including undergrad). There's also the issue of OTD vs. MS to consider...

When it comes down to it, I want to be the best OT I can be. TSU is definitely not up to Belmont standards, but the cost is astronomical. If you are a current OT, would you say experience in the field will be enough of a teacher to bridge the educational gap between these schools?

Advice from ANYONE would be helpful! Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

People I have talked to (shadowing OTs and PTs) do not think it makes a difference when you are treating people.

More time practicing=better therapy.

It would probably make a difference if you wanted to go academic.

It sounds like you want to be a practicing OT and not a researcher/lecturer. If that IS the case, then I would definitely go for the cheaper, MS option. The savings are too significant. Also, you can probably go back to get your doctorate in the future much cheaper and faster than attending an OTD program now...especially if you have a company pay for it!

Members don't see this ad :)
The OTD is certainly not necessary for practice by any means, but extra courses and the residency program certainly won't be wasted time.Though only 5 OTD programs are accredited right now, 3 more are in the process of becoming accredited and already are accepting students. There's not a whole lot of info out there on the worth of the OTD because there aren't many OTs at the doctoral level yet! The trend towards OTD might take over sooner than expected, and you may kick yourself later for being in > 2x the debt, but I doubt you would regret the extra education.

Last edited:
My friend who lives in Nashville, who actually went to TSU OT program transfered because the program was not good. She stated that TSU did not have alot of resources etc.. DM me and I can try and get you in contact with her.