G chem balancing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

113zami

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I2 +Cl2 +H2O ---> HIO3 + HCl

I have been trying for a long time to balance this equation the usual way, but i failed, then I noticed that I could only balanced it using the half reaction method since it seems to be a redox reaction,
but what surprizes me is that kaplan solved it without using the half reaction method, they simply give the balanced equation answer without explanation, so my question is, is there any other shorter way to balance this equation since kaplan obviously didn't use the half reaction method

thank you much

Members don't see this ad.

I2 +Cl2 +H2O ---> HIO3 + HCl

I have been trying for a long time to balance this equation the usual way, but i failed, then I noticed that I could only balanced it using the half reaction method since it seems to be a redox reaction,
but what surprizes me is that kaplan solved it without using the half reaction method, they simply give the balanced equation answer without explanation, so my question is, is there any other shorter way to balance this equation since kaplan obviously didn't use the half reaction method

thank you much

.0..........................+5... for a total gain of 10e
I2 + Cl2 + H2O..........HIO3 + HCl
.......0................................-1 for a total loss of 2e

to balance multiply loss x5

I2 +5Cl2 +6H2O........2HIO3 +10HCl