GA-PCOM tracks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBumblebee

MS-0
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although, there's a list of hospitals and healthcare settings at the school's website, they weren't categorized by tracks available. Anyone to write the list of clinical rotation tracks at GA-PCOM, and the available hospitals under those tracks is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Students lottery in the fall of their second year into either an anchor track or J-track.

J-track is the group that stays in and around the ATL area, there are times where you leave for a rotation and youre bouncing around between hospitals and individual practices.

Those that lottery into an anchor track move to their site for all of 3rd year (you can stay at most sites for 4th year as well though some students move back to ATL or to their hometown because you can pretty much do 4th year anywhere you can find preceptors.

The anchors currently are as follows:

In GA - Columbus, Rome, Warner Robins, Dalton, Ellijay and Albany (the last 3 are new this year, Albany has students from MCG/GHSU as well)
In AL - Birmingham, Montgomery, Decatur, and Dothan (they tend to only take students with at least some ties to the state and we might lose some of these with the opening of ACOM in dothan)
In FL - West Palm

If you have specific questions about what hospital systems on which anchor feel free to ask.

Students lottery in the fall of their second year into either an anchor track or J-track.

J-track is the group that stays in and around the ATL area, there are times where you leave for a rotation and youre bouncing around between hospitals and individual practices.

Those that lottery into an anchor track move to their site for all of 3rd year (you can stay at most sites for 4th year as well though some students move back to ATL or to their hometown because you can pretty much do 4th year anywhere you can find preceptors.

The anchors currently are as follows:

In GA - Columbus, Rome, Warner Robins, Dalton, Ellijay and Albany (the last 3 are new this year, Albany has students from MCG/GHSU as well)
In AL - Birmingham, Montgomery, Decatur, and Dothan (they tend to only take students with at least some ties to the state and we might lose some of these with the opening of ACOM in dothan)
In FL - West Palm

If you have specific questions about what hospital systems on which anchor feel free to ask.
Thank you for the detailed response. I'd greatly appreciate if you may also provide with the list of hospitals/healthcare settings that were included in J-track. Besides, are you also allowed to select your rotation places/preceptors in the J-track?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the detailed response. I'd greatly appreciate if you may also provide with the list of hospitals/healthcare settings that were included in J-track. Besides, are you also allowed to select your rotation places/preceptors in the J-track?

No, can't really do that easily here...I can email you some documents if you PM me your email address.

Each j-track has a list of available locations for each month and specialty...you and the other group members decide who is going where. For electives and selectives you can choose from a list our go anywhere you can find a willing preceptor.

Reactions: 1 user
No, can't really do that easily here...I can email you some documents if you PM me your email address.

Each j-track has a list of available locations for each month and specialty...you and the other group members decide who is going where. For electives and selectives you can choose from a list our go anywhere you can find a willing preceptor.
Aye. I'm at Phila, but some of these rotations have >30 sites. How many sites are you guys averaging down there?

Aye. I'm at Phila, but some of these rotations have >30 sites. How many sites are you guys averaging down there?

I'm on an anchor, so I don't deal with multiple sites. Some of them have a lot from what I remember when looking at them last year...not quite thirty

I'm a current 2nd year who ended up deciding on an anchor track...but the core rotation sites for the J-track groups number from 6-10, depending on specialty. There are many more FM and IM options available for selectives an electives.

What are the actual names of the hospitals that we can rotate through? Are they the big hospitals?

is there any freedom to do rotations at grady memorial, atlanta medical center, emory. If i were interested in emergency medicine or surgery i would want to do rotations at level one trauma centers and academic places such as these. if i was interested in doing rotations at these sites, what track would you recommend pursuing. How would you go about setting up for 3rd and 4th year. Most importantly, i want to do some emergency medicine rotations at level 1 trauma centers.

Do you have any updated info on the birmingham anchor and if any of those spots were lost to acom?

is there any freedom to do rotations at grady memorial, atlanta medical center, emory. If i were interested in emergency medicine or surgery i would want to do rotations at level one trauma centers and academic places such as these. if i was interested in doing rotations at these sites, what track would you recommend pursuing. How would you go about setting up for 3rd and 4th year. Most importantly, i want to do some emergency medicine rotations at level 1 trauma centers.

BUMP

Current 4th year student here.

Yes, you are "free" to do rotations at these hospitals if the school and the hospital have a current affiliation agreement contract. Currently, we do have agreements with AMC to allow our students to rotate there. I don't think Emory allows our students to rotate at their hospitals though. Some of my classmates have received interviews from Emory's EM program though, so they are pretty DO friendly. Other DO-friendly EM programs also include MCG and Mercer.

If you can find an EM attending at these places that will allow you to work with them for a month, a rotation can usually be approved by our school unless the hospital has some unusual demands for liability insurance.

You can't do an ER rotation until 4th year though. It doesn't matter which track you choose, because your 4th year electives can be anywhere that you choose to do them. Your track basically determines where you do your 3rd year clerkships only.

Do you have any updated info on the birmingham anchor and if any of those spots were lost to acom?

Yes, I am pretty sure that all of our Alabama clerkship spots were lost to ACOM.

Do GA-PCOM students have access to PA-PCOM's rotation spots?

Current 4th year student here.

Yes, you are "free" to do rotations at these hospitals if the school and the hospital have a current affiliation agreement contract. Currently, we do have agreements with AMC to allow our students to rotate there. I don't think Emory allows our students to rotate at their hospitals though. Some of my classmates have received interviews from Emory's EM program though, so they are pretty DO friendly. Other DO-friendly EM programs also include MCG and Mercer.

If you can find an EM attending at these places that will allow you to work with them for a month, a rotation can usually be approved by our school unless the hospital has some unusual demands for liability insurance.

You can't do an ER rotation until 4th year though. It doesn't matter which track you choose, because your 4th year electives can be anywhere that you choose to do them. Your track basically determines where you do your 3rd year clerkships only.

Do GA-PCOM students have access to PA-PCOM's rotation spots?

Yes, we actually do. We can rotate at any hospital that has an affiliation agreement with PCOM. During 3rd year, they offered us the choice to rotate at UPMC shadyside for Internal Medicine. During 4th year, you are free to rotate anywhere you want if we have an affiliation agreement with them. Reading hospital is a great example - large hospital, lots of pathology, free dorm rooms, free food allowance, preceptors are very happy to have students there, work with their residents.

Wow. That is great to hear. Are PA-PCOM students given priority over those spots?

Yes, we actually do. We can rotate at any hospital that has an affiliation agreement with PCOM. During 3rd year, they offered us the choice to rotate at UPMC shadyside for Internal Medicine. During 4th year, you are free to rotate anywhere you want if we have an affiliation agreement with them. Reading hospital is a great example - large hospital, lots of pathology, free dorm rooms, free food allowance, preceptors are very happy to have students there, work with their residents.

Wow. That is great to hear. Are PA-PCOM students given priority over those spots?

I'm not sure. I never had trouble booking any of my rotations in PA or been told the rotations were full. It really comes down to who files their paperwork/rotation request forms earlier lol.