Gaining IS residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OtterMayhem

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! So I've been searching SDN and still have a few questions about gaining IS tuition after a year. I read on one forum that in Ohio you cannot receive financial help from OOS. Is this for every school? I live in Florida currently and I have a checking account with a family member and its in both of our names. If I went to school out of Florida and that family member lived in Florida, would that be okay? Or would that hurt my residency?
Also, if my boyfriend and I moved to a state out of Florida and he gets a full time job and we get married, does that mean I will obtain IS tuition after the first year?
I read schools like Colorado won't give you IS tuition at all, even if my boyfriend and I were to get married and he had a job there and we changed all of our stuff to Colorado I still wouldn't be eligible?

Also! Unrelated to residency, I'm trying to find out which schools replace bad grades with good ones and which average. I can't seem to find that information on most of the schools websites.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Your best bet for both questions would be to call/email the schools directly.

Your questions are pretty specific, but I'll try to help.

I read on one forum that in Ohio you cannot receive financial help from OOS. Is this for every school?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'financial help'. All students apply for a federal financial aid package via FASFA upon matriculation into their program. This is typically a mixture of federal subsidized loans (DIRECT) and federal unsubsidized loans. In very few instances, where students do not complete a bachelors program, students may be eligible for a Pell grant or something like that, but this is rare.

All students are able to apply for scholarships.

You will not be able to receive state financial aid from Ohio if you are a resident of Florida. You may be eligible for state aid as a Florida resident while pursuing a professional program in Ohio, but you may not. It's dependent upon if Florida gives rewards for resident scholars that matriculate out of state. You may be able to figure out qualifications here.

I'm not a current veterinary student -- do any veterinary students get state financial aid? OOS too?

I live in Florida currently and I have a checking account with a family member and its in both of our names. If I went to school out of Florida and that family member lived in Florida, would that be okay? Or would that hurt my residency?

It's dependent upon how your state qualifies residency. For my state, I have to have a majority of my belongings here, file/pay taxes here, and have my driver's license from here.. ect. If you went out of state and still maintained Florida's residency requirements, while not breaking the law at your out of state location, you'd likely stay a resident of Florida. I've been to one school out of state that attempted to make it a requirement for me to become a resident of their state in order to pay taxes -- all while mandating my out of state tuition. It wasn't fun; I ended up finding a loop hole and maintained my original residency.

Do you file as a dependent? I think all those things matter.

Also, if my boyfriend and I moved to a state out of Florida and he gets a full time job and we get married, does that mean I will obtain IS tuition after the first year?

As far as I know, there are four schools that let you shift to IS tuition after a year of residency. Washington, NC, UC Davis, and Missouri.

I read schools like Colorado won't give you IS tuition at all, even if my boyfriend and I were to get married and he had a job there and we changed all of our stuff to Colorado I still wouldn't be eligible?

That's right. You sign a contact to pay OOS tuition all four years at most schools if matriculating as an OOS student. Even if you moved your whole life to that state, you'd pay OOS.

Also! Unrelated to residency, I'm trying to find out which schools replace bad grades with good ones and which average. I can't seem to find that information on most of the schools websites.

Keep looking or try to search the SDN forum. I've seen a couple threads about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
This will vary depending on each school. In Colorado, you are admitted to CSU as either sponsored student or non-sponsored. If you are a Colorado resident when you are admitted, you can qualify for a CO state sponsored seat. If you are from a WICHE state, you can qualify for WICHE sponsorship. If you are from anywhere else, you can only be admitted as a non-sponsored student. Even if you move to Colorado and gain legal residency (register to vote, etc.) after admission, your sponsorship status does not change - and therefore your tuition status remains the same. When you accept your acceptance to CSU, you agree to paying the non-sponsored tuition rate for all 4 years, if you are an OOS student. If you are WICHE, then your WICHE sponsorship is based on a contract between you and your home state.

Your questions are pretty specific, but I'll try to help.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'financial help'. All students apply for a federal financial aid package via FASFA upon matriculation into their program. This is typically a mixture of federal subsidized loans (DIRECT) and federal unsubsidized loans. In very few instances, where students do not complete a bachelors program, students may be eligible for a Pell grant or something like that, but this is rare.

All students are able to apply for scholarships.

You will not be able to receive state financial aid from Ohio if you are a resident of Florida. You may be eligible for state aid as a Florida resident while pursuing a professional program in Ohio, but you may not. It's dependent upon if Florida gives rewards for resident scholars that matriculate out of state. You may be able to figure out qualifications here.

I'm not a current veterinary student -- do any veterinary students get state financial aid? OOS too?

I believe they mean financial help from OOS family members. When I was considering applying to Mizzou, they had a similar policy with their residency requirements. You had to be able to account for every single deposit you may have.

So OP, whether or not you could maintain an OOS bank account would
depend on the school (Mizzou was okay with it I believe though), BUT your family member in Florida couldn't deposit into it while you're trying to establish residency, because that would be receiving financial aid from OOS.

Email the school to check though if you aren't sure about any of the requirements! They're usually happy to clarify :)

I believe they mean financial help from OOS family members. When I was considering applying to Mizzou, they had a similar policy with their residency requirements. You had to be able to account for every single deposit you may have.

So OP, whether or not you could maintain an OOS bank account would
depend on the school (Mizzou was okay with it I believe though), BUT your family member in Florida couldn't deposit into it while you're trying to establish residency, because that would be receiving financial aid from OOS.

Email the school to check though if you aren't sure about any of the requirements! They're usually happy to clarify :)

Wow -- so if you were trying to gain residency at Mizzou in order to pay in-state tuition for your second year, you couldn't receive funds from someone with state residency elsewhere? I've never heard of that.

Wow -- so if you were trying to gain residency at Mizzou in order to pay in-state tuition for your second year, you couldn't receive funds from someone with state residency elsewhere? I've never heard of that.

Yep! You need to show you are completely independent while establishing residency. I don't think they have any policy like that after you establish residency, but yes. If you're trying to establish residency for 2nd year, 1st year you can't receive any sort of OOS help from family members.

Now if they give you cash, there is no way to track that if you never deposit it. But Mizzou also has a policy about needing to show so many bank transactions each week to prove you were in the state, so you couldn't just be given a bunch of cash from relatives and live off of it completely either.

(Clearly I should have actually ended up applying to Mizzou with how much I researched how to establish residency there :laugh: )

Yep! You need to show you are completely independent while establishing residency. I don't think they have any policy like that after you establish residency, but yes. If you're trying to establish residency for 2nd year, 1st year you can't receive any sort of OOS help from family members.

Now if they give you cash, there is no way to track that if you never deposit it. But Mizzou also has a policy about needing to show so many bank transactions each week to prove you were in the state, so you couldn't just be given a bunch of cash from relatives and live off of it completely either.

(Clearly I should have actually ended up applying to Mizzou with how much I researched how to establish residency there :laugh: )
Actually, for Mizzou, they only look at your bank statements during the 8 week summer, because you can only leave for 2 weeks during that time, and that goes for your parents helping you financially (they can only not help you during the 8 week summer I believe). Every other holiday and time before and after that summer first year it doesn't matter where you go or what you do. 100% of my class who applied for residency this past year got it, as I understood it it was a very simple process and no one really had any problems with getting it.

Actually, for Mizzou, they only look at your bank statements during the 8 week summer, because you can only leave for 2 weeks during that time, and that goes for your parents helping you financially (they can only not help you during the 8 week summer I believe). Every other holiday and time before and after that summer first year it doesn't matter where you go or what you do. 100% of my class who applied for residency this past year got it, as I understood it it was a very simple process and no one really had any problems with getting it.

That's good to know! I had emailed them about it to clarify somethings, but that was almost a year ago now (time flies!), so I guess I misremembering :)

Good to know its not as bad as it seems!