Gaining research exp. & how to become competitive for PhD programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello All,

I am currently a foundation year student in a MSW program in NYC. My concentration is clinical but I am interested in pursuing a PhD in Social Work when I graduate. I have a 3.82 GPA and decent GRE scores. I have a few questions about what specific steps I need to take to be a competitive candidate for a PhD program.

have a partial academic scholarship but after completing my first year, I've decided to switch to part-time so that I won't have to incur as much debt. As a result, I won't have an internship this upcoming 2013/2014 school year. My first year internship was at clinical site usually reserved for advanced year students placement. I told my internship supervisor that I switched my program to part-time and she offered me the opportunity to work there full-time next year. I would definitely enjoy working there again but am hoping to spend this year gaining some research experience since next year (2014/15) my assigned advanced year internship will be clinical again. I'll only have 3 classes so my schedule will allow me plenty of time to volunteer and increase my ability to get into a funded PhD program.

How do I gain research experience? I see tons of opportunity for clinical experience but nothing for people that are inexperienced looking to gain research experience. Other than the research classes that are a part of my program, I literally have zero experience in this area.

How do people get to publish articles, present at conferences, etc.? These types of things are never discussed in my classes or in program lectures, etc. I haven't bonded with any professors in my department which I would also like to improve. I have had two professors tell me that I should consider applying to PhD programs (not directly, but in their comments on papers I've submitted for their classes). I thought it would be strange to go into their office hours and say "Hi you said I should consider getting a PhD. How do I do that?" Is that how this is done?

I'm sorry if these are foolish questions. I feel like I should know these things but I don't and really don't know how to find out. I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have time in your schedule to volunteer for research labs? Are there professors at your university that are conducting research that interests you? Just start emailing professors and ask if they need any volunteer help. Once you've volunteered for a few months, then you can ask about being involved with papers and posters.

Thank you so much psychsquirrel! Yes, I do have time to volunteer at research labs. I will take your advice and begin reaching out to professors about volunteer work. I truly appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

All the Best,
BriMar