Gaining residency for UPenn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hachiko

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I'm new here so I hope this hasn't been answered before, but this is directed at anyone that deferred a year at UPenn to gain residency.
I was wondering what the steps you had to go through were and how detail-oriented the process was.
I know to become a resident you cannot be living there for educational purposes, but does that mean that you have to have a job there? My reason for asking is that I found a great job, but it is across the river in New Jersey, and therefore I would not be paying PA taxes.
I will also be asking the admissions office too of course, but I also just wanted to get some opinions/experiences of people who have gone through this process.
Basically what do they ask for (license, lease, registration, tax forms?) and is it a person who will ask you what you've been doing the past year? Or is it more just turn in these certain documents in a mailbox and you're ok?
I just wouldn't want anything silly to hinder my gaining residency if I'm going to go through all of the effort of moving!
Thanks so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!
I'm new here so I hope this hasn't been answered before, but this is directed at anyone that deferred a year at UPenn to gain residency.
I was wondering what the steps you had to go through were and how detail-oriented the process was.
I know to become a resident you cannot be living there for educational purposes, but does that mean that you have to have a job there? My reason for asking is that I found a great job, but it is across the river in New Jersey, and therefore I would not be paying PA taxes.
I will also be asking the admissions office too of course, but I also just wanted to get some opinions/experiences of people who have gone through this process.
Basically what do they ask for (license, lease, registration, tax forms?) and is it a person who will ask you what you've been doing the past year? Or is it more just turn in these certain documents in a mailbox and you're ok?
I just wouldn't want anything silly to hinder my gaining residency if I'm going to go through all of the effort of moving!
Thanks so much!!
Hey, welcome to SDN!

I was accepted to Penn for V'18 but deferred into V'19 to become a PA resident and save some money. I was required to get a PA driver's license, resister my car in PA, have proof of a PA lease (which is required for the driver's license, anyway), register to vote in PA, and file PA tax forms (I got a job at a lab at Penn). If you email Ms. Herpen she should be able to get you all of the details; I haven't been asked to prove my residency status yet, so I'll update you on that once I've gotten to that point. All in all it really wasn't too difficult and for me it was worth taking the year off :).

Good to know! Thanks so much

Reactions: 1 user