Gamsat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nt_keele

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I will take the GAMSAT exam and i was lookin for any feedback bout this exam. which subjects revise and get well prepared for.. tips and all possible information are really welcome!
cheers :)

Members don't see this ad.

basic outline of gamsat: divided into three parts--science, writing, and verbal reasoning. the science section is subdivided into one part physics, one part chemistry, and two parts biology. it's scored as 2(science) + writing + physics.

my recipe for "success" on the gamsat... (i.e., my score wouldn't knock anyone's socks off but it did get me in) as follows.

i got the practice exams with the answers in the back that they send you when you register for the exam. i set one aside, left it closed, and went through the other one without time limits and with unlimited access to calculators, textbooks, etc. everything i could do with little problem i practiced it over and over and wrote out my justification for the answers i gave, then checked them against the answers in the back. if it was wrong, i marked down the concepts at hand and hit the texts. any questions i didn't know out of my head, had trouble with, or simply was completely clueless about (most especially, "ball's ratio of momentum to potential energy is changing how at point b... errr...") i also marked down. then, i took this list of all the concepts i didn't know, found several relevant chapters in textbooks at the library about each, and went through the chapters one by one, doing every practice problem & conceptual doodad they gave along the way. it was a lot of work--it took a few days go go through the test first, and then about 2-3 afternoons a week in the library, but i wound up with about a classwork-load full of notes and practice material i could use. not Kaplan test prep quality, but it sufficed.

then i went thorough this a million times and forced myself to name as many molecules ad nauseam as i possibly could, and taught it to a hapless environmental science undergrad who was stuck in biochemistry and needed help.

and then i took out the second test and went through it timed, and checked my score, and then did the same thing with it and picked it apart, only it took a lot less time the second time.

it was a fair bit of work, but it worked, and it could be done around my regular undergrad classes... dunno, sorry so long and rambling, hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats a very good way to do it, I was fairly happy with my marks and that what I did. The past papers are invaluable.

I actually purchased a series of practice exams from a company called OziMed (you can buy and download them online I think). They were not as hard as the GAMSAT in section 1 but were equal to the GAMSAT in section 3. There were 10 practice papers and I did them in real test time, with the appropriate breaks, all three sections in the one day. The most difficult thing about the GAMSAT is the endurance it takes to write it well, it is an all-day ordeal. The practice tests are not only good at getting you comfortable with the question format of the GAMSAT but if you do them in real exam time they will build up your test stamina. Another organisation does test papers too (GAMSAT Guru), but I'm not sure if you can get them online.

Ps. I'm NOT from OziMed :)