GAP period after graduation, advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Max18

Reaction score

NON-US IMG here!
I graduate this August and apply this September.
Would that be considered as a "gap" if I won't do clinical work during interview time?
Will volunteering and studying for step 3 explain that? ...

Trying to find job or research is super challenging straight after graduation. I was wondering if anyone of you know smth regarding that case....
Thanks a lot in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Not a gap as of when you submit.
I am sorry, didn't really get that... Not a gap if I graduate and apply the same year? But the time between graduation and potential start of a residency is 11 months...
Sorry if I am confusing you

I am sorry, didn't really get that... Not a gap if I graduate and apply the same year? But the time between graduation and potential start of a residency is 11 months...
Sorry if I am confusing you
You won’t have a gap on your application as of the time that you submit. If you get interviews you will need to explain what you are doing in the interim.

Assuming you have USCE already I would look into expanding your job search to including research coordinator/tech positions to make connections. If you don’t have USCE and need it, I’m not sure that volunteering will really help you.

What would the volunteering consist of?

You won’t have a gap on your application as of the time that you submit. If you get interviews you will need to explain what you are doing in the interim.

Assuming you have USCE already I would look into expanding your job search to including research coordinator/tech positions to make connections. If you don’t have USCE and need it, I’m not sure that volunteering will really help you.

What would the volunteering consist of?
Thanks for detailed reply! I have enough of USCE and for now don't plan to of more.

I know that a research position would be perfect, however not sure if that is a good option if a research is not in US.
Regarding volunteering: I was thinking of community health programs like Red Cross and etc

Oh and one more thing, if I'll just do smth like "hospital rotations" in my country to say like " I am assisting doctor like physician assistant" but not getting paid for that...
I really worry about how bad it is for PDs if they will presume that I am not going to the hospital and don't see patients.

Appreciate a lot all your feedback!

I see three main things here:

1. As GoSpursGo pointed out, you don't have a gap as of this time for application purposes, so that is good.
2. Also, as pointed out, you will almost certainly be asked what you are doing since people will realize you are not in school as most of your fellow applicants still will be.
3. Worst case scenario you don't match and you have to apply the next year. You will then have a gap.

Conclusion: In my opinion, try to do something that is as clinical/direct patient care oriented as possible.

Reactions: 1 user
I see three main things here:

1. As GoSpursGo pointed out, you don't have a gap as of this time for application purposes, so that is good.
2. Also, as pointed out, you will almost certainly be asked what you are doing since people will realize you are not in school as most of your fellow applicants still will be.
3. Worst case scenario you don't match and you have to apply the next year. You will then have a gap.

Conclusion: In my opinion, try to do something that is as clinical/direct patient care oriented as possible.
Thank you! Very well explained!