Gap Year & AADSAS, Please help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LolaLu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
So I didn't hear back Dec 1 unfortunately and I'm already starting my gap year. I will be contacting adcoms to see what they recommend but I'm planning on volunteering at a free dental clinic & try to get a dental assistant/dental administrative job.

BUT here's where I'm a bit grey on. Since applications open up June 4, and schools out in May how would I be able to write that I'm planning on doing these things?
Would I start looking for dental office jobs and start volunteering in May and just write on aadsas that I will be doing that for the whole year, (since there's a start and end date on the 'work experience' tab)?
But what if I can't find a job in May and end up getting one in August, I can't update my AADSAS after I submit it in June though..?
Or should I start going to dental offices early to apply for a job during my spring break in March and let them know I can't work until May?

***Also, my state school does not reinterview applicants so I won't be able to "catch them up" on what I've been doing this gap year...***

I'm very confused and was wondering if anyone on sdn has been in this situation and can help me out. Thank you guys for being so supportive and reading this whole long spiel of mine.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Start having a plan for what you would do now. Therefore, if you need to contact people for jobs, now is the time to ask.

I think you may ask schools that turned you down for feedback. Figure out what was the weakness in your application and your gap year should be used to improve it. For example, if your GPA is the problem, you should take additional coursework.

@bwc Do you think if I start contacting people now for jobs they would wait until I get out of school in May? I really don't have connections I was just planning on going todifferent dental clinics and talking face to face/ giving them my resume.

@LolaLu I don't see why not. A number of engineering and business students who graduate in May secure jobs as early as October of the previous year.

Reactions: 1 user