Gap year considerations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FindMeOnTheLinks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
With the application cycle winding down and without an acceptance in hand, I guess it is time to start figuring out some gap year plans. I thought I had a solid application, but I feel that my lack of clinical experience has hurt me in the end. So of course, I will be using a gap year or two to shore up on that by doing more volunteering clinically. This might be a long post, so I truly appreciate whoever takes the time to read through and offer their advice.

Here are the options I am considering, and I would like some input on them

1. Take two years off, get an MS in Biomedical Engineering while working part time (maybe as a scribe) + volunteering. This might be my preferred route, because I am interested in the technology side of medicine and could see myself one day being involved in tissue regeneration and/or transplant working towards improving the current situation with the lack of donor organs available. I have two questions about this route. First, it will take me two years to complete this masters. I took the MCAT in June of 2014, and I know scores are valid for three years. However, with the new MCAT coming out, will that change whether my score is still valid when I apply after two gap years? Second, would an MS in BME be helpful for admissions to research oriented schools?

2. Work full time as a scribe for a year, maybe try to find some research project to do on the side, + volunteering. This would help me make some money and beef up my clinical experience. This seems like a good fallback plan if the masters in BME doesn't seem feasible or worthwhile.

3. Do a one year online masters in clinical investigation while working and volunteering. Again, this might help for getting into a research oriented medical school, but then again maybe not because I feel these types of programs aren't very rigorous and might be considered similar to an MPH. I might not be as interested in the course material compared to biomed engineering, but it will still be useful some day.

I know this is a personal decision and a lot of it comes down to preference, but if you had these three options, which do you think would be the most beneficial towards getting into a medical school? Would the MS in BME make me a more attractive applicant assuming I shore up my clinical experience by volunteering on the side? Thanks for your help, SDN - yall are the best.

Members don't see this ad.

If clinical experience is your weak point I would go with option 2 and scribe. I am a little biased as it is exactly what I did for my gap year.

I don't think you need any of this guesswork. Many, many schools will tell you what was deficient on your application. Check online for this in regards to schools you interviewed at, and if you can't find anything, call their admissions office. Whatever the general consensus is that your app was lacking, work on that (your options are fine as listed, leaning more towards 2-3, but just because they're more common, not better).