Gap Year Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeful314

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I graduate in May of 2015, and I'm having a hard time determining what to do during my gap year. Initially, I took a gap year because I wanted to volunteer something similar to the Peace Corps. However, I have no research experience, and I know that is crucial to some med schools. Am I completely out of my mind thinking I can land an entry level CRA position in a Boston hospital? I want research, but I'd like for it to be clinical. Furthermore, I can't devote more than two years to the research. Can anyone provide advice or another route to get clinical research experience? Thank you for all opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, you dont really need research for medical school unless you want to apply to a combined PhD program. Doing research helps but is not necessary. Volunteering and shadowing are the most important. If you are interested in research, send emails to professors at your college or other nearby schools and ask them if you can join the lab. Clinical research might be more difficult to land but again applying at your school will be easier than reaching out to other places. There are jobs at biotechs and hospitals for research positions but they typically require some experience. You can search on Monster or career builder for entry level positions. But looking at positions at academic institutions is probably the best bet.

You are not a non-trad if you have to take a gap year.

As for what you should do: there are plenty of CRC positions in boston, many with a large bit of patient interaction. I suggest you start looking and applying.