Gap Year Experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kirvoyant

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
So, I recently started considering taking a gap year before applying to medical school. I was thinking that maybe this was the right move because this could be an opportunity for me to build up on relevant research and clinical experiences. I also feel like this would be a way for me to work on finances, and overall just take a break from academics following undergrad. I also think this will allow me to pace out my undergraduate experience in general and just not try to overwork myself.

That being said, I'm still feeling a bit guilty for having to take that gap year. I know it's technically not detrimental to my application in the future, but it's more of an inner insecurity of mine to feel like I'm slowing down or missing out.

I was wondering if anyone was willing to share their gap-year experiences, and how this impacted their application at all.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

By the time of matriculation, I'll have taken 3 gap years. I spent the first 2 working in EMS and outpatient medicine. The last has been doing an SMP and applying. What I've done since college has been a major component of my interviews and has been a chance for me to show growth and commitment to this field. Don't feel guilty, it's a step in the journey that can benefit you (barring you doing something wild)

Reactions: 1 users
By the time of matriculation, I'll have taken 3 gap years. I spent the first 2 working in EMS and outpatient medicine. The last has been doing an SMP and applying. What I've done since college has been a major component of my interviews and has been a chance for me to show growth and commitment to this field. Don't feel guilty, it's a step in the journey that can benefit you (barring you doing something wild)
Thanks for your input!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
2 gap years. I worked a job that is not research/clinical, pursued another degree, and got some more clinical experience. I think how I spent my time after college made my application much more unique, and I got love from a lot of schools that I probably would not have had I went straight through.

A majority of matriculants take gap years nowadays. The people who go straight through are the weird ones :p

taking two gap years was the best decision I've ever made. extremely confident it had a critical role in getting me in to seven med schools. wouldn't change it for the world. if you're even considering it, do it

If I'm gonna be honest, there is no way someone is actually ready for med school without taking some kind of gap and exploring themselves. It's not just school and studying for exams, but you're gonna be a healthcare provider one day so getting those experiences is really useful.
Took a gap semester already and taking a gap next year. App is good enough to apply this cycle, but I might honestly take another gap just for the experience and fun. Don't feel guilty and don't feel like you're wasting time and don't feel like you're missing out. If anything, you can spend that gap doing some travelling and working on hobbies which you will be missing out on if you go straight to school.

Also, money is nice.

Reactions: 1 users