Gap Year jobs? Moving to Montreal to Become Permanent Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JuanPabloCastel

Not even close to my real name
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a US citizen attending a US undergrad. I recently found out that getting permanent resident status is relatively easy, and makes you eligible for in-province and citizen spots at Canadian medical schools. I have a >3.95 GPA and am expecting >35 MCAT (taking in January 2015). My ECs are very good, but not spectacular. Most importantly, I'm graduating a year early.
To become a permanent resident, one must spend a year in the country NOT as a student, so I wouldn't be able to do a graduate degree there.
What sort of gap year jobs are normally done out there? Ive heard that ECs aren't nearly as important in the admissions process, so would it be a application killer if I were a waiter or barista or something uninteresting for a year?
To be honest, I know almost nothing of French, but I know Spanish and Portuguese already, so picking it up probably won't be too difficult over the course of the next year.
Are there any issues that anyone sees with my plan?
McGill's website states that successful applicants have >3.6, >31. Does anyone have more specific stats for admits to the school? What about for UBC and U of T?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm a US citizen attending a US undergrad. I'd eventually like to settle and practice in Montreal. I recently found out that getting permanent resident status is relatively easy, and makes you eligible for in-province and citizen spots at Canadian medical schools. I have a >3.95 GPA and am expecting >35 MCAT (taking in January 2015). My ECs are very good, but not spectacular. Most importantly, I'm graduating a year early.
To become a permanent resident, one must spend a year in the country NOT as a student, so I wouldn't be able to do a graduate degree there.
What sort of gap year jobs are normally done out there? Ive heard that ECs aren't nearly as important in the admissions process, so would it be a application killer if I were a waiter or barista or something uninteresting for a year?
To be honest, I know almost nothing of French, but I know Spanish and Portuguese already, so picking it up probably won't be too difficult over the course of the next year.
Are there any issues that anyone sees with my plan?
McGill's website states that successful applicants have >3.6, >31. Does anyone have more specific stats for admits to the school? What about for UBC and U of T?

Wait are you sure it only takes 1 year of living in Canada to become a PR? Unless there is a special rule for Americans I highly doubt this. I also think if this was true there would be many more Americans in Canada since you are allowed dual citizenship between the 2 countries, especially when you consider how often americans say "that's it i'm moving to Canada" whenever something political doesn't go their way.

Assuming you can obtain PR McGill and UofT average around a 35 MCAT with a 3.8-9 GPA, 3.9 at UofT. UBC may be slightly lower but still probably 33 MCAT or so.

If you want McGill you really want to get Quebec resident status because McGill only has a few spots for non-Quebec Canadians. Whatever you do don't move to Ontario specifically Toronto as being from Ontario is a death knell for any pre-med (UofT doesn't have preference for Ontarians and neither does Queens and the other schools except McMaster prefer specific regions of Ontario). Alberta is the best option in English Canada as getting Alberta residency allows you to apply to Alberta and Calgary med schools. BC is also a good option as you can get BC residency for UBC.

You can get a job as a research assistant. You may get a publication if you put in a full year's effort. It is probably the best option since it will also help you on your applications and its not too difficult to get a position.

If you can hold off on Canada for a decade or so, you can just do all your training in the US. Canada will take US doctors especially in fields that are in shortage as of now this is FM, EM and Psych.

Wait are you sure it only takes 1 year of living in Canada to become a PR? Unless there is a special rule for Americans I highly doubt this. I also think if this was true there would be many more Americans in Canada since you are allowed dual citizenship between the 2 countries, especially when you consider how often americans say "that's it i'm moving to Canada" whenever something political doesn't go their way.

Assuming you can obtain PR McGill and UofT average around a 35 MCAT with a 3.8-9 GPA, 3.9 at UofT. UBC may be slightly lower but still probably 33 MCAT or so.

If you want McGill you really want to get Quebec resident status because McGill only has a few spots for non-Quebec Canadians. Whatever you do don't move to Ontario specifically Toronto as being from Ontario is a death knell for any pre-med (UofT doesn't have preference for Ontarians and neither does Queens and the other schools except McMaster prefer specific regions of Ontario). Alberta is the best option in English Canada as getting Alberta residency allows you to apply to Alberta and Calgary med schools. BC is also a good option as you can get BC residency for UBC.

You can get a job as a research assistant. You may get a publication if you put in a full year's effort. It is probably the best option since it will also help you on your applications and its not too difficult to get a position.

If you can hold off on Canada for a decade or so, you can just do all your training in the US. Canada will take US doctors especially in fields that are in shortage as of now this is FM, EM and Psych.

After 12 months of skilled employment (looks like technical research would count), one can apply for PR status. Thanks for all the info!

Members don't see this ad :)
After 12 months of skilled employment (looks like technical research would count), one can apply for PR status. Thanks for all the info!

Wow Canada is easy haha.... If we are so easy, I think America should loosen up their regulations on Canadians.

You can certainly apply, though I'm not sure how quickly it can happen. In any case, learn French if you want to live in Montreal. It is absolutely essential for medical practice and to get PR as a Quebec resident it may almost be necessary.