Gap Year Options, what should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GavinThePremed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a few options as to what to do during my gap year, all of these would start after I graduated. Currently, I'm set to graduate from Teacher's College this May, and I'm like to lucky to have a plethora of options before me.

1) PHAP (Public Health Associate Program) for the CDC. I'd be working out of Atlanta, and would have the option to go and set up maternity clinics abroad in places like Chad and Angola. The pay is around 33K so it'd be a tight budget.

2) NIH Post-Bac, this is something I've heard looks really good on Medical school app, and while I am definitely interested in it, Bench research isn't something that gets me going like other jobs. The thing that is the worst about this is the stipend is around 28K meaning, I'd have to live with my parents since the DC area is a very expensive place to be. At least in Atlanta I can afford a decent apartment on a lower budget.

3) Teaching Public School. I'm currently a Middle School teacher and it's...cool. I like it, definitely not something I could do forever, but it's enjoyable for the time being. I coach girl's basketball and track, and I'm the sponsor for Quiz Bowl. The kids are sweet and idolize you, and the teaching staff is so chill. The pay is pretty decent too, I'd make around 47K, more than enough to live on my own, eat good food, buy nice clothes, and pay for application season.

4) Teaching Private School. So I was offered a job as a Math teacher at a local Parochial Private School (not overly religious, but uniforms and Friday Mass are still mainstays). Private school gigs are cool in the sense that I'd get free lunch, transportation stipend, and even though I hate to say it, the kids are more motivation and well-mannered. The pay is around 50K for this position, potentially more if I coach, maybe around 55K.

Any 4 of these options seem golden to me, but I want to do what adcoms might feel is most meaningful. I know people will tell me what's most meaningful to you? And I'm confused! I don't know! I'd do any of them.

Members don't see this ad.

1. 33k could be tough in Atlanta. but you can make it happen if it's something you would enjoy doing. might be better if you are interested in the MPH side of medicine
2. if you don't like it, why do it?
3. I think this would look good, plus you already do it so not much of a learning curve there. plus seems like good pay and probably realistically easy to miss work (ie get a sub)
4. Easy decision between 3 and 4... whichever you will like more. Better pay with what you believe to be better kids or less pay with no uniform/chapel time.

it really doesn't matter which you do. none of these will likely be absolute deal breakers or makers with any ADCOM. people think they need to have these fascinating and earth-shattering gap years..... there are people who work retail for a year to be able to pay for the application cycle and get into top schools I'm sure. they dont' care what you do, but whatever you do, keep up volunteering (clinical and non-) and shadowing.

it seems like 2 isn't the best option for you. between the other three, pick out of a damn hat if it's that hard.. I can't imagine it being that hard though. if you have a love for public health, then do #1. if you have a love for teaching in public schools do #3. if you want to teach in a private school, do #3.

Reactions: 1 user
So I have a few options as to what to do during my gap year, all of these would start after I graduated. Currently, I'm set to graduate from Teacher's College this May, and I'm like to lucky to have a plethora of options before me.

1) PHAP (Public Health Associate Program) for the CDC. I'd be working out of Atlanta, and would have the option to go and set up maternity clinics abroad in places like Chad and Angola. The pay is around 33K so it'd be a tight budget.

2) NIH Post-Bac, this is something I've heard looks really good on Medical school app, and while I am definitely interested in it, Bench research isn't something that gets me going like other jobs. The thing that is the worst about this is the stipend is around 28K meaning, I'd have to live with my parents since the DC area is a very expensive place to be. At least in Atlanta I can afford a decent apartment on a lower budget.

3) Teaching Public School. I'm currently a Middle School teacher and it's...cool. I like it, definitely not something I could do forever, but it's enjoyable for the time being. I coach girl's basketball and track, and I'm the sponsor for Quiz Bowl. The kids are sweet and idolize you, and the teaching staff is so chill. The pay is pretty decent too, I'd make around 47K, more than enough to live on my own, eat good food, buy nice clothes, and pay for application season.

4) Teaching Private School. So I was offered a job as a Math teacher at a local Parochial Private School (not overly religious, but uniforms and Friday Mass are still mainstays). Private school gigs are cool in the sense that I'd get free lunch, transportation stipend, and even though I hate to say it, the kids are more motivation and well-mannered. The pay is around 50K for this position, potentially more if I coach, maybe around 55K.

Any 4 of these options seem golden to me, but I want to do what adcoms might feel is most meaningful. I know people will tell me what's most meaningful to you? And I'm confused! I don't know! I'd do any of them.
You're deciding between money (3,4) and application builders (1,2).

To better answer this question, we would need to know what the rest of your application looks like.

If you're lacking in clinical experience, the teaching jobs might be good as you can volunteer for 1-2 weekends at a hospital.

If you're lacking in non-clinical experience, then the PHAP and NIH Post-Bac may be better options since you already have teaching experience. I would go with the 33K and cutting costs by eating at home and dorming with a roomie. The PHAP seems to give you more to write/talk about than that NIH Post-Bac.

If you're applying for research-heavy schools, then the NIH Post-Bac is good. Of course, any uni research done with tutoring on the side (to support living costs) will also work.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're deciding between money (3,4) and application builders (1,2).

To better answer this question, we would need to know what the rest of your application looks like.

If you're lacking in clinical experience, the teaching jobs might be good as you can volunteer for 1-2 weekends at a hospital.

If you're lacking in non-clinical experience, then the PHAP and NIH Post-Bac may be better options since you already have teaching experience. I would go with the 33K and cutting costs by eating at home and dorming with a roomie. The PHAP seems to give you more to write/talk about than that NIH Post-Bac.

If you're applying for research-heavy schools, then the NIH Post-Bac is good. Of course, any research done with tutoring on the side (to support living costs) will also work.
Interesting, so you think teaching isn't an application builder? Tbh, I haven't seen any premed teaching majors so I don't know how adcoms would react to that.

Interesting, so you think teaching isn't an application builder? Tbh, I haven't seen any premed teaching majors so I don't know how adcoms would react to that.
Tutoring is a common one. Teaching is a step above that, but I wouldn't think it would distinguish you that significantly.

The question that may come up is why this applicant decided to forego a teaching job over a medical career. Your other extracurriculars would better explain your eventual answer.

Like perhaps you were honing your communication skills so that you may apply it to teaching people about health at the maternity clinic.

What about your other ECs/work experience?

Tutoring is a common one. Teaching is a step above that, but I wouldn't think it would distinguish you that significantly.

The question that may come up is why this applicant decided to forego a teaching job over a medical career. Your other extracurriculars would better explain your eventual answer.

Like perhaps you were honing your communication skills so that you may apply it to teaching people about health at the maternity clinic.

What about your other ECs/work experience?

I knew I wanted to go to teacher's college when I applied to school. My degree is in Biology Education and I've gained a license to teach in my state. My other EC's do revolve around teaching. I've been a TA for 3 years, published 2 Education papers, went to a slew of education conferences. But, I've also volunteered 400+ hrs at the hospital, shadowed 3 different physicians, been a suicide hotline volunteer, started a food pantry where we're currently expanding our garden to provide a sustainable alternative to our community, and been an HIV/Aids counselor for youths.

Eventually, I'd see myself teaching at a Medical College. Teaching is something I'd like to be a part of my career forever. I thought Medical Schools would see that becoming a licensed teacher is actually a very difficult thing to do, I mean, I've tutored before, it's light years more complicated than tutoring.

Gosh, I'll have to think about how to convey myself better/

People gotta stop looking at medical school as a list of requirements that they need to complete THEN life begins when you get in. You need to do what you want before AND during medical school. Wanna do research in DC? Go for it. If money is the main concern and you love teaching, go for the private school gig.

I knew I wanted to go to teacher's college when I applied to school. My degree is in Biology Education and I've gained a license to teach in my state. My other EC's do revolve around teaching. I've been a TA for 3 years, published 2 Education papers, went to a slew of education conferences. But, I've also volunteered 400+ hrs at the hospital, shadowed 3 different physicians, been a suicide hotline volunteer, started a food pantry where we're currently expanding our garden to provide a sustainable alternative to our community, and been an HIV/Aids counselor for youths.

Eventually, I'd see myself teaching at a Medical College. Teaching is something I'd like to be a part of my career forever. I thought Medical Schools would see that becoming a licensed teacher is actually a very difficult thing to do, I mean, I've tutored before, it's light years more complicated than tutoring.

Gosh, I'll have to think about how to convey myself better/
No, you're fine..

From what I can see, your ECs are already solid.

You've already done HIV/AIDS counseling, so PHAP may not be as significant of an addition as you may think.

Your lack of basic science research experience may be compensated by your significant work in education.

Your hospital commitment is above average which, supplemented with your significant physician shadowing, should be sufficient in conveying that you have sufficient background in what medicine is about.

At this point, it's really up to you. My recommendation, however, is just to teach at the parochial school and save up cash. The only conflict I see is when teaching obligations conflict with interview scheduling.

No, you're fine..

From what I can see, your ECs are already solid.

You've already done HIV/AIDS counseling, so PHAP may not be as significant of an addition as you may think.

Your lack of basic science research experience may be compensated by your significant work in education.

Your hospital commitment is above average which, supplemented with your significant physician shadowing, should be sufficient in conveying that you have sufficient background in what medicine is about.

At this point, it's really up to you. My recommendation, however, is just to teach at the parochial school and save up cash. The only conflict I see is when teaching obligations conflict with interview scheduling.
Thanks for your advice. I'll really have to think about it. And nah, teachers have 35 paid sick days in my school system, at the parochial school 40-ish. If anything, I'll have more than enough time for any interviews (hopefully I'll get some!! hah). Thanks again and good luck to you.