Gap Year Position in Cards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anfleisch

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been interviewing for a gap year position. All of the positions are in the field of cardiology, which, at this moment is one of my strong interests.

#1. Molecular cardiology developing a technology first on cells then maybe pigs.

Advantages- Supposedly, molecular cardiology will help to get into a fellowship 7 years from now. Also, the PI is a faculty at a school to which I am applying. High energy, but possibly intense PI in biophysics. This project has high potential, but could also be frustrating and most of the skills will not help me in the future (except for knowledge in the field). (I would not be paid for this at least until the spring).

#2. Basic clinical research on drug trials related to anti-coagulants.

Advantages- Should prepare me for research both in medical school and as a professional. Still a prestigious medical institute and renowned PI. PI seems very easy to work with and could have less stress. Also, this might help a little later on when applying to fellowship. This would not be considered basic science and is probably more clinically related. But this is somewhat more safe and does not how the potential to be a breakthrough type of project. (This will also be for pay, which is a secondary thing for me).

Which one would you choose? I still have at least one more interview coming up, but I would appreciate any comments.

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you I would do number two. Also, I would consider if either of them is run by a PI who is in the division of cardiology. that would probably help.

They are both in the division of cardiology, but #2 is in fact a prominent cardiologist at Lankenau. #1 is a young faculty cardiologist at drexel and also a professor of cardiothoracic surgery and biomedical engineering. But I was introduced to the project by meeting with the chief of cardiology at that hospital. Thanks for the advice indiamacbean.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would go with #2. #1 sounds like kind of a wild card, could turn out bad if the person turns out to be malignant, and besides he's not paying you...should have some money to at least pay you something...sounds fishy.

Thanks. I am probably going with #2, that is where I was leaning anyway.