Gap Year Recommendations -Aspiring PA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulHero

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a senior studying Biology with a concentration in Human Biology and I will be graduating this May. My current plan is to take a gap year to gain more clinical experience and study to take the GRE before applying to PA schools next year. My GPA is currently around a 3.4 and I've maintained several leadership positions, jobs, and extra curricular activities while in college.

I wanted to know what advice any of you had for a gap year before applying to PA school. What have some of you done to be as competitive as possible for applications?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the same position as you are. I graduate this May and am planning on diversifying my clinical experience, while finishing up a few last pre reqs. GoodLuck with your endeavors!

If you are graduating in may and plan to only take one year off-start working on your application ASAP! If I was in your shoes, I would make it a goal to have the application sent in by July. What that means for you is that you'll want to try to get some health care experience and volunteering underway immediately, so that it can be included on your application. I think you can add things as you go, but it will save you the trouble. I was a physical therapist tech for my gap year, and it counted has health care experience and was a wonderful insight into a different side of medicine. It also really helped me gain experience with bedside manner/patient communication, allowed me to experience working with multiple patients at once, and really fired me up to learn more about A&P. The experience was great, and although it is a specific field of medicine, while PAs can be much more broad, I gained incredible experience and knowledge and networking during that year. Drayer Physical Therapy is a large chain and an amazing organization (who I worked for) and they do not require previous HCE in the field-they typically look for some type of allied health interest and knowledge, which you would have since you are pre-PA. I also have other health care experience to add a little diversity, but that was all done during my undergrad. Maybe look into a nearby hospital for volunteer or researching opportunities. Volunteering is also a big resume booster, even if it is not medically related, and this is something you can start right away. Hope this helps! Good luck!