Gap year to boost ECs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unfloopy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm having a mini freak-out session at midnight, so I'm hoping for some advice! I'm a second-semester junior from CA; my cGPA = sGPA = 4.00, and I'm planning on taking the MCAT this year.

Honestly, I've mostly been focusing on my grades for the past few years, so my ECs are weak, weak, weak, to say the least. So far, I have 1 year research, ~60 hours clinical volunteer, a few years of tutoring, and a few summers working in a dental office. Yeah, unimpressive, I know!

I'm very interested in Public Health, so this semester, I've got two PH internships lined up, one with an environmental health organization and the other with an autism research center. I'm also planning on doing an international service-learning trip later this year.

I'm graduating a semester early and taking a gap year on top of that, so I'm going to add to my clinical volunteer experience, begin shadowing, and maybe find a research position.

Does that sound like a plan? And what else do you recommend I do with my time to keep my MD hopes alive?

Thanks for reading!

EDIT: MCAT score is in! 41 (14 PS, 13 VR, 14 BS)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I'm having a mini freak-out session at midnight, so I'm hoping for some advice! I'm a second-semester junior from CA; my cGPA = sGPA = 4.00, and I'm planning on taking the MCAT this year.

Honestly, I've mostly been focusing on my grades for the past few years, so my ECs are weak, weak, weak, to say the least. So far, I have 1 year research, ~60 hours clinical volunteer, a few years of tutoring, and a few summers working in a dental office. Yeah, unimpressive, I know!

I'm very interested in Public Health, so this semester, I've got two PH internships lined up, one with an environmental health organization and the other with an autism research center. I'm also planning on doing an international service-learning trip later this year.

I'm graduating a semester early and taking a gap year on top of that, so I'm going to add to my clinical volunteer experience, begin shadowing, and maybe find a research position.

Does that sound like a plan? And what else do you recommend I do with my time to keep my MD hopes alive?

Thanks for reading!

Your ECs aren't really terrible unless you're trying for a top research school. If you are taking a gap year, then you could study more and take the MCAT next spring while doing ECs and improving your app. Just my 2 cents, but don't freak out. The majority of the people posting on SDN have stellar ECs compared to the overall competition out there.

I was in your position last year. I decided to take a gap year for ECs and so far I don't have a single regret. Check out my mdapps or PM me if you want more details.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for replying! I'm not in a hurry at all, so I think taking a gap year would be good for me and my application. Also, if I wanted to go to a UC, what sort of ECs should I focus on?

@Bauman, I'd love to know more details; look out for a PM sometime soon :)

Thanks for replying! I'm not in a hurry at all, so I think taking a gap year would be good for me and my application. Also, if I wanted to go to a UC, what sort of ECs should I focus on?

@Bauman, I'd love to know more details; look out for a PM sometime soon :)

Gap year sounds like a great idea. Focus on your research experience and clinical experience, if you want to aim for a UC. A job wouldn't be a bad idea either!

Good luck!

Sounds like you got a good plan. With a gap year, not only will you strengthen your ECs, but it gives you extra time to write your personal statement and get LORs in order.

Definitely you should get shadowing experience, especially before you apply. Also, with that extra time, you can save/earn money. Applying to medical school is not cheap.

Thanks for all the responses! I feel a little less anxious now.

I was also considering studying abroad next spring, preferably in a Spanish-speaking country. Do you think this would have any positive impact on my application, or would my time be better spent focusing on getting as much research/clinical/shadowing experience as possible?

Thanks for all the responses! I feel a little less anxious now.

I was also considering studying abroad next spring, preferably in a Spanish-speaking country. Do you think this would have any positive impact on my application, or would my time be better spent focusing on getting as much research/clinical/shadowing experience as possible?

I think studying abroad looks very good, especially if you're learning fluent Spanish in the process. Speaking spanish is an ever more important skill in the world, and medicine is by no means an exception. It would be very cool to shadow some physicians from other countries, and it would give you a lot to talk about in your personal statement. My vote: DO IT. Because you won't be traveling out of the country for a long time once medical school begins. :laugh:

Just wanted to update this thread with an MCAT score: 41 (14 PS, 13 VR, 14 BS). Assuming I get more clinical and research experience in my gap year (which I'm on track to do), am I in decent shape for the UC schools?

Just wanted to update this thread with an MCAT score: 41 (14 PS, 13 VR, 14 BS). Assuming I get more clinical and research experience in my gap year (which I'm on track to do), am I in decent shape for the UC schools?

Definitely! Congratulations on such a fantastic score! Are you a California resident by any chance?