gastroentorology residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yaffa915

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
If anyone can give me some info. of gastroentr. resindency program.....# of years, life style, etc.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

GI is a three year fellowship done after completion of a three year internal medicine residency. I am currently doing an elective in GI and I can attest that it can be quite busy as can most areas of medicine. In general however there are less emergent situations that require middle of the night intervention with the obvious exception being significant GI bleeds. The compensation is quite competitive as the field is procedural in nature along with the current screening recomendations for colon cancer.
The fellowship is very competitive currently probably only taking second to cardiology...but even that is open for debate. Placement depends upon superior performance during your medicine residency, this can be assisted by first of being at a well known academic center and secondly becoming involved in research in the GI field, in essence becoming well acquainted with the GI people at you institution making some connections.

Hope this helps and best of luck

I would say that unless you know someone with major connections, I'd say that GI is more competetive than Cards because there are so few GI spots (~300) compared to Cardiology spots (>2000). Most people who get into GI either have big-time connections or train at a residency with a fellowship position.

Freida online says that there is a total of ~2000 fellows in cardiolgy...divide by the three years and you are looking at more like ~700 spots available per year. I have also heard this number quoted elsewhere including these forums...but you are on point with the idea that there are much fewer GI training postitions.

At the same time I don't believe it to be AS competitive to say that you NEED to know someone to get you in. However, you do have a greater opportunity when you do your residency at a well respected academic institution with a GI fellowship as opposed to a community program.

J