Gay PS Revision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TravellinDoc

So very very tired.
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So for those who read my original PS, after rewriting it with all your suggestions in mind, I'm not sure I still need to include my sexuality. However, I've kept it in this one to see what you think. Also, I need to cut this thing down a bit so comments on that are cool too. Any constructive criticism both good and bad from anyone are greatly welcomed and appreciated! Thanks again!
TD

I was always at the brink of discovering something new, especially when it came to the squishy insides of various invertebrates during class or bulbous plants I encountered. Nothing was safe from this self-ascribed would-be-neurosurgeon. My first definition of a brain surgeon came from my grand father who claimed to have once practiced the profession, not in a hospital, but in a slaughterhouse. From this time on, my destiny was clear, yet the underlying reasons compelling me towards it were not. As I grew older, every subsequent experience with medicine thereafter simply focused this desire and helped to further my understanding of it.
My parents valued travel as a learning tool as highly as books at school. This philosophy greatly benefited me as I became a very well-traveled and worldly young man, permanently scarred by the bite of the travel bug. Consequently, international medicine became my passion and going to Africa to work in a medical setting had always been my dream. When I finally had the chance, I went to live and work in Dakar, Senegal. It was difficult at first due to the oppressive heat and pollution, the myriad of insects, and the noisy traffic. I had to make an extra effort each day to avoid the pestering beggar children, the tenacious street venders and the pickpockets. The culture shock, including my having to bargain for even the smallest item such as toilet paper and the difficult African accent in their French added to the difficult adjustment period. However, the longer I lived there, the more I could put everything into context and perspective. I found that the beggar children were being forced to beg to pay for their religious education, the bugs could be kept at bay with a net, the heat eventually dissipated, and the street vendors each had a story. In fact, I learned to love these things as well as the overt generosity of the people, the beauty of their culture and land, and the way impossible never seemed to prevent them from persevering. Working in a hospital where the patients would have no pillows, blankets, food, medicines, or comfort without their family providing it was hard to watch. This was especially true after my own experience in a hospital in Burkina Faso where I endured my own bout with malaria. Because it was ubiquitous, the disease desensitized me so that it seemed as benign as a simple case of the flu. However, after experiencing its intense fever and shakes, profuse sweating, wasting, and incredible fatigue on a first-hand basis, it quickly reminded me that it had the power to create great suffering with devastating results. I retained this lesson while shadowing a few Senegalese doctors and witnessed their tremendous dedication to the ailing people. Unfortunately, their number is too few, which makes wading through the morass of problems facing their health care system even more arduous. However, my hope is still to join them as I would be proud to call them my colleagues.

My most significant experience in medicine domestically has been running the Swedish Family Medicine clinic laboratory in the inner city of Seattle. It has greatly confirmed my call to medicine because of the amazing examples the physicians have set for me and of the very diverse patient population. Many of the patients are subscribers to Medicaid or Medicare, are immigrants, or have no insurance at all, while many others have middle to upper middle class backgrounds. Such diversity in socio-economic status provides a wide range of social and medical issues from which to learn. In one day, I have drawn a young woman who lost her modeling contract to her heroine addiction, an upper-class woman needing her wax-impacted ears washed out, and a fourteen year old pregnant Iraqi war refugee. During each of these encounters, I made sure to employ the techniques I learned through my own interactions with patients and from some of the physicians here while shadowing them in the clinic and in the hospital. In acting with professionalism, warmth, compassion, listening skills, a sense of humor, and in following through on promises, I discovered that I could acquire the patients' trust and deliver exceptional health care. I found that I could easily establish a strong rapport with the immigrant population, speaking French with a pregnant Congolese woman, Arabic with the many Sudanese refugees, and Spanish with a crime victim from Honduras. I also discovered that by discussing my travels to a patient's home country, I could connect with them instantly. Never before have I worked in a setting that allows me to use these skills and experiences in such a positive and influential way.

Both of these experiences pale in comparison to the level of understanding and compassion I have gained through finally accepting myself as a gay man. Over the past year, I won the fight against my own sexuality and in the process gained a clearer sense of what being tolerant truly means. In acting as part of the majority population my whole life, I was always sympathetic to the plight of the minority populations. However, I never truly understood or empathized with what they have been enduring until I, myself, faced the injustices of discrimination for simply being who I am. I have also developed a stronger appreciation and respect for integrity and the truth.

As a result of these events in my life, I have inevitably been lead down the same path on which I began twenty years ago, though my intentions have shifted. Rather than cutting things open for the pure joy of liberating their contents, I now aim to be a voice for the invisible in the medical field by serving the underserved both domestically and internationally. I feel a call to service to every person regardless of their race, economic situation, social history, sexual orientation, or national origin. In being a provider who speaks the patient's language, has an understanding of their culture, and is open to discussing any issues involving their alternative lifestyle, I will be able to continue to establish a strong bond of trust and thus deliver exceptional care. I only hope that by being an outspoken and upstanding physician that I too may be an example to others so that integrity, tolerance, compassion, and open-mindedness become staple principles

Members don't see this ad.

Ever wonder how many adcoms lurk around here?

Great statement overall and a huge improvement from the first draft. Of course there are a few awkward phrases and some tweaking of grammar to be done, but I think you have really highlighted what makes you unique as an applicant.

I still feel the transition to your sexual orientation part of the PS is still not smooth. Perhaps removing the phrase "pales in comparison' would help. Most adcoms reading this would be surprised that your sexual orientation acceptance process was so much more important than your international and domestic clinical experiences in your decision to pursue medicine.

I realy enjoyed reading your story and I know there are plenty of admissions people who will feel the same way.

Deirdre

Members don't see this ad :)
Remove your sexuality matters cos they will definitely suspect gayness. Honestly if I were an adcom I would probably reject you--I won't say it's because of your sexuality but I would.

There are already qualified people applying and you want a seat. Your sexual orientation won't get you in, as for vice versa I can't say. You probably want to focus your essay on more serious things. Things like sexuality, religion, race, etc big enough to cause unncessary problems. Once again, remove it.

I am being as candid as I can.

Wow, dude, this is much better!!! I really wanted to continue reading it. I think you just need to tighten the message a bit. There are a few statements you can cut out and still maintain the same message. Try cutting out some of the build-up to the experience. While it is nice, too much dilutes the message. (If you had unlimited space, I might not suggest this, but since there is a limit..)

Ex. you can cut this out:"This philosophy greatly benefited me as I became a very well-traveled and worldly young man, permanently scarred by the bite of the travel bug." (it may be taken in the wrong way and reflect poorly upon you) and just put a bit in the next sentence like: "Consequently, through my travels, international medicine has become my passion."

Also, how you present your experiences, use wording that shows achievement (but not in a braggin way) and initiative. Like instead of "When I finally had the chance, I went to live and work in Dakar, Senegal." say "I was finally given the opprotunity with African Missions (or whatever) to live and work in Dakar, Senegal."

Anyway, you've done an exceptional job reworking your PS. Just need to tweak it.

Nuel said:
Remove your sexuality matters cos they will definitely suspect gayness. Honestly if I were an adcom I would probably reject you--I won't say it's because of your sexuality but I would.

There are already qualified people applying and you want a seat. Your sexual orientation won't get you in, as for vice versa I can't say. You probably want to focus your essay on more serious things. Things like sexuality, religion, race, etc big enough to cause unncessary problems. Once again, remove it.

I am being as candid as I can.

I'm not to sure about how that will play out in the eyes of adcom's. I think TravellinDoc's experience with understanding his sexuality has truly changed who he is and will allow him to understand his patients and hopefully be a more compassionate physician. It's who he is and will play into how he practices medicine.

While a significantly different situation, a good portion of my PS covered a serious illness that I had while in college. One interviewer asked about the status of my health at UTMB. I was extremely pissed he asked that and a completely unacceptable question. That really skewed my interest in the school which I was really a waste of my time to even apply since I'm out of state. Needless to say, I didnt send a thank you note. Back to the point. He was the only one that asked that. Other interviewers viewed my experience very favorably, one even said he really liked my PS.

It's a hard decision to make to include or remove the portion about sexuality. TravellinDoc, I think you should talk to your advisor. While we can hope in this day and age, homophobia does not exist....it would be a lie to say it doesnt.

Ok so I'm thinking that maybe I'll delete the gay part from my PS and save it for the secondaries if it's applicable to the essay topic given. I still believe it to be an essential part of my development as a pre-med and how I will practice medicine. I guess maybe it just doesn't fit well here. Thanks for the comments again, guys!
TD

the PS is not cohesive enough. my attention drifted halfway through the 1st paragraph. try to make the transition between ideas/stories/traits more smoothly. also, try to break up the PS up into more paragraphs. this makes it much easier to read.

take this into a professor at the language department for editing, i've found they are very helpful.

as far as your sexuality, i agree that you should take it out. the point is that you want to get into medical school, not write a biography. you want to mesh your qualifying attributes as a doctor with the diplomacy of applying for this institution.

just my honest advice, not meant to disparage/discourage. best of luck with your application!

I found that the beggar children were being forced to beg to pay for their religious education,

This sentence is very unclear. Were they instructed to beg to learn humility? Was begging their only means of affording a private school? I basically don't like the word "force" there, no matter the context. I'd re-word it.

I had some negative things running through my mind when I first read that sentence, and luckily it just became more unclear as I read it. Like I said, work on it.

FROM POST ABOVE
you want to mesh your qualifying attributes as a doctor with the diplomacy of applying for this institution.

I don't know if I agree with this. If something inspired you, be it intellectually or through life experience, I think it's relevant. It doesn't even have to be a medically-related inspiration. Just something that pushed in a particular direction.

I do agree that the mention of sexual identity is both a bit abrupt, jarring, and a little less convincing than it should be.