Geisel (Dartmouth) vs. Icahn at Mt Sinai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yellowflower89

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am in a position of deciding between these two schools. Any insight would be super helpful!

General comments: I know Sinai is more "highly ranked" which plays a role in match success. Sinai is also a highly regarded hospital system, and NYC would be cool. There are also of course more opportunities to work with urban communities in NYC. The Dartmouth community and vibe is really pulling me towards it though.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! I am in a position of deciding between these two schools. Any insight would be super helpful!

General comments: I know Sinai is more "highly ranked" which plays a role in match success. Sinai is also a highly regarded hospital system, and NYC would be cool. There are also of course more opportunities to work with urban communities in NYC. The Dartmouth community and vibe is really pulling me towards it though.

Sinai for sure if the costs are similar (I know NYC is more expensive to live in). With step 1 pass fail the school you go to is mattering more and more from what I’ve been hearing and my impression is Sinai is a better institution and has much better residencies. You will have home court advantage with residencies at your home institution.

Reactions: 1 users
Sinai for sure if the costs are similar (I know NYC is more expensive to live in). With step 1 pass fail the school you go to is mattering more and more from what I’ve been hearing and my impression is Sinai is a better institution and has much better residencies. You will have home court advantage with residencies at your home institution.
AFAIK, Sinai also has subsidized housing that should help with the cost.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the decision basically comes down to whether you prefer an urban or rural environment in which to live. Also, Sinai trends younger, while Dartmouth has more older non-trads.

I think the decision basically comes down to whether you prefer an urban or rural environment in which to live. Also, Sinai trends younger, while Dartmouth has more older non-trads.
Oh, didn't know that about the age! thanks for the info

Full disclosure: I’m currently on the deferred list for Sinai.

I would say it would be best to wait until you get to second look. Sinai is the higher ranking school and has the stronger hospital system/affiliates, which can help you down the road during residency applications.

Geisel caught some fire a year ago for accusing their students of cheating on an exam as their Carmen systems on their IPads indicated usage of course material during test time. The issue with this is that Carmen can sometimes be opened without the user. Geisel disregarded this information and accused several students of cheating. While Geisel dropped the case and apologized, this felt like they don’t treat student concerns and feedback well. I’m sure a Geisel student can elaborate one this situation when you visit.

Choose Sinai! 100%.

Reasons: significantly higher ranked school, better reputation within medicine (see: Dartmouth cheating scandal, consistently on decline), diverse patient population (on the boarder between Upper East Side and East Harlem, with affiliate hospitals in Queens and lower Manhattan), living in NYC as a young person, affordable student housing (search Aron Hall), very good financial aid (if your family is low-income, your loans will be capped below $90k via the Enhanced Scholarship Initiative (ESI) which equates to the initiative offered at NYU (free tuition but no housing stipend, 4-5 years in NYC adds to about $90k).

While Dartmouth does have an older student body, it has a smaller class size in an isolated area, which does not sound ideal after 4 years.

Choose Sinai! 100%.

Reasons: significantly higher ranked school, better reputation within medicine (see: Dartmouth cheating scandal, consistently on decline), diverse patient population (on the boarder between Upper East Side and East Harlem, with affiliate hospitals in Queens and lower Manhattan), living in NYC as a young person, affordable student housing (search Aron Hall), very good financial aid (if your family is low-income, your loans will be capped below $90k via the Enhanced Scholarship Initiative (ESI) which equates to the initiative offered at NYU (free tuition but no housing stipend, 4-5 years in NYC adds to about $90k).

While Dartmouth does have an older student body, it has a smaller class size in an isolated area, which does not sound ideal after 4 years.
This is 1 year old. OP is an M1. Why do people keep doing this. @chilly_md

This is 1 year old. OP is an M1. Why do people keep doing this. @chilly_md
Commenter is a new member (but knows how to restrict their's profile from being searched, most likely an old member who created a new account to be anonymous). Has commented on old posts about Sinai before, probably has an agenda up selling certain schools, e.g., making their school sound better for their own ego, or dissuading other people from going to a school they want to get into. People are weird.