Gen Chem II/Physics I in same semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apollo1

Deciding between MD/DO and PA
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Note: I ran through the Search function to find any older threads regarding the above, but mostly came up with MCAT prep.

I'm currently slated to have Gen. Chem II & Physics I (w/ both labs) in Spring of '15; this is planned b/c I've heard that mixing Physics w/ Orgo is not advisable (and I have no prior experience with either subject). Does this seem ok in terms of difficulty & relative study commitment? I took Gen. Chem. I during the first half of this summer semester (grade: A) & will have the attached lab in the upcoming fall semester.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's a good combo if you are confident in your math skills. Are you going to have other classes? If so, I'd advise an easy one or two because those two labs will take a lot of your time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you going to have other classes? If so, I'd advise an easy one or two because those two labs will take a lot of your time.

Those are the only classes for that semester. Thanks to you both for the replies.

I think those two together wouldn't be too bad. I'm doing Phys II/Orgo I and it's not a problem, even with full-time work as well.

I don't know your abilities. But that should be doable. It's just algebra and trigonometry, assuming you're taking algebra based physics.

It's not so bad. I realized everything taught in class were covered on youtube. Use youtube for physics concepts, because the math won't be that bad but knowing sin/cos/tangent will save you. Also, my physics lab was a joke and basically a free A, not the same for my chem lab. On the bright side, they're still freshman lvl courses so can't be that bad, right?

Last edited:
I think you'll be fine. I'll be taking Physics and Organic Chem concurrently next year.

Just read as much as you can BEFORE and AFTER each class.

It should be fine. I took Gen Chem 2, Physics 1, Genetics, Calc 2, and an honors seminar and finished with 3.7 semester GPA. Just practice good time management. Realistically I spent only about 1 hour per class per day and took 1-2 days off a week. So it is not really that difficult if you are confident in your ability to keep up.

this is totally doable. I did it last year while working full time.

Doable as others have stated. In fact, depending on your school, some of the material may even overlap (i.e. thermodynamics) which could be helpful.

i did much crazier things when i was in undergrad. i took general chemistry, physics, calculus, and biology all at once. i don't know what i was trying to prove. anyway, since you are only doing 2 at a time it might work. but i think that the fewer courses you take at a time the better you will do. you could take chemistry by itself and do physics next semester or in the summer.