Gen Chem Prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jshlaferman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm an incoming freshman this fall and I'm scheduled to take an accelerated Chemical Principles course. This means I would be taking one semester of gen chem instead of two. Should I switch out of the accelerated course so I can fulfill the two semester prerequisite or is there another way around it? Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd switch out, mainly because you are a freshman, college is an adjustment and your concern should be a high GPA this year. Accelerated anything that is a pre-req just isn't a good idea.

Reactions: 2 users
I'd switch out, mainly because you are a freshman, college is an adjustment and your concern should be a high GPA this year. Accelerated anything that is a pre-req just isn't a good idea.
Even though this would open up a spot to take a beneficial class before taking the DAT after sophomore year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Even though this would open up a spot to take a beneficial class before taking the DAT after sophomore year?

Yes. It's hard to make the switch from taking hard everything in high school so you can get into college to taking classes to protect your GPA. Push off another class, a gen ed, if you can. Some of those easy gen ed classes are best taking second semester senior year :).

Reactions: 1 users
Unless that class is 8 credits, I'd switch out.

Reactions: 5 users
You actually believe it is possible to cram 2 semesters into 1 and only receive 4 credit hours? Are you sure the accelerated course is designed for science majors?

You actually believe it is possible to cram 2 semesters into 1 and only receive 4 credit hours? Are you sure the accelerated course is designed for science majors?
Yes it is designed for science majors. I am a biochem major so I took a chem placement test and was placed in this course. However, it is still a four credit course.

Hip hip hooray for that part!
Yes it is designed for science majors. I am a biochem major so I took a chem placement test and was placed in this course. However, it is still a four credit course.
Hip hip hooray! Chemistry departments, generally require one year of gen chem before allowing enrollment in organic, which is usually a one year requirement before enrolling into biochem.

Reactions: 1 user
Hip hip hooray for that part!

Hip hip hooray! Chemistry departments, generally require one year of gen chem before allowing enrollment in organic, which is usually a one year requirement before enrolling into biochem.
So for prereq fulfillment, should I switch back and take the full year of gen chem?

Yes. It's hard to make the switch from taking hard everything in high school so you can get into college to taking classes to protect your GPA. Push off another class, a gen ed, if you can. Some of those easy gen ed classes are best taking second semester senior year :).
I would disagree, here's why...
Most people apply junior year, so take the gen eds before that time simply because they are a GPA booster, taking loads of science classes doesn't really help with that obviously . Senior year take the upper level credits you need for your major and try to do decent in them since you probably already got accepted. My philosophy is to just boost that GPA as much as possible before application because that's when it really matters, not when your about to graduate.

Most people apply junior year, so take the gen eds before that time simply because they are a GPA booster, taking loads of science classes doesn't really help with that obviously . Senior year take the upper level credits you need for your major and try to do decent in them since you probably already got accepted. My philosophy is to just boost that GPA as much as possible before application because that's when it really matters, not when your about to graduate.
Adcoms will never know what hit them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hit them with the 1-2 uppercut. If there as old as you I doubt they know what hit them.... :corny:
So your philosophy is: your patients will need dental treatment one way or another.

I get that part, but the OP was having a hard time fitting in classes otherwise. If you have room in your schedule, that's one thing, but if he is trying to fit in the gen bio, gen chem, ochem, the math's, etc. he might not have a choice.

I talked with my academic advisor and pre-health advisor today and was told not to take the accelerated gen chem for various reasons. I'm sticking to the traditional route of gen chem 1 and 2 this year with orgo 1 and 2 next year.

Lol that post is ridiculous- listen to all the other people instead. Adcoms want to see that you can handle a challenge. And they aren't stupid. They can see through the gen-ed facades and see the games that you'd be playing if you tried this. I'm positive they'd ask you about it at interviews if it was particularly egregious. It isn't worth it to try to circumnavigate obstacles for the sake of your GPA. Split gen chem into a year like everyone else and roll with it. You should kill it since you tested into that class! Get that guaranteed "A".

Last edited:
Lol this is ridiculous- listen to all the other people instead. Adcoms want to see that you can handle a challenge. And they aren't stupid. They can see through the gen-ed facades and see the games that you'd be playing if you tried this. I'm positive they'd ask you about it at interviews if it was particularly egregious. It isn't worth it to try to circumnavigate obstacles for the sake of your GPA. Split gen chem into a year like everyone else and roll with it. You should kill it since you tested into that class! Get that guaranteed "A".
You definitely misinterpreted that. Anyone with a brain knows what I meant.
Kronk: "Kronk thing he said 1 science class and 4 gen eds class a semester, haha kronk think that ridiculous"
OsuKid "I hope anyone with a brain knows I meant take 2-3 science courses with 1-2 gen ed courses"
...OSUkid gets an alert....
:diebanana:

My own experience was opposite to everyone else, took advance Gen Chem I (AP in HS), got an A and awarded Gen Chem I and II credit (list separate as 2 classes on transcript, II was given pass instead of letter grade).

Trade off is require to take analytical chem in order for the Chem II credit, but the class is require for all Chem/Biochem majors so I end up took one class less than people didn't took that route.

I was an UTA for different Chem classes in school and scored 24 in the GC session of DAT, no one pay attention to my "pass" of Gen Chem II. I would ask around in your situation how is your class satisfied 2 semesters of G Chem, if it's like mine I will do it again.

My own experience was opposite to everyone else, took advance Gen Chem I (AP in HS), got an A and awarded Gen Chem I and II credit (list separate as 2 classes on transcript, II was given pass instead of letter grade).

Trade off is require to take analytical chem in order for the Chem II credit, but the class is require for all Chem/Biochem majors so I end up took one class less than people didn't took that route.

I was an UTA for different Chem classes in school and scored 24 in the GC session of DAT, no one pay attention to my "pass" of Gen Chem II. I would ask around in your situation how is your class satisfied 2 semesters of G Chem, if it's like mine I will do it again.

Have you applied yet? Many schools will not take your AP Chem classes for pre-reqs.

I also could have AP'd out of genchem, but I figure that if I was good enough to place out, I could pull As for both semesters and boost my sGPA. Something to consider.

No one wants to have analytical chem grade as their replacement for GC 2. That'd like a fat person saying I'd rather run a marathon than walk 100m.

I also could have AP'd out of genchem, but I figure that if I was good enough to place out, I could pull As for both semesters and boost my sGPA. Something to consider.
That's why I decided to take the two semesters of gen chem instead of placing out. Also going through the struggle of D schools accepting AP credit doesn't seem worth the headache.

That's why I decided to take the two semesters of gen chem instead of placing out. Also going through the struggle of D schools accepting AP credit doesn't seem worth the headache.
Good call :thumbup:. Good luck!!

No one wants to have analytical chem grade as their replacement for GC 2. That'd like a fat person saying I'd rather run a marathon than walk 100m.

I guess I didn't explain it clear enough.

I have AP in HS but I still HAVE TO took advance Gen Chem I in college,

I have Gen Chem I as a class itself on my transcript with a letter grade.

My school have this deal was if you have AP (good enough score) and got an A in Advance Gen Chem I, u can take analytical Chem and be award Analytical Chem (letter grade) and G Chem II (pass grade) credit. It is NOT a replacement, it is simply how my school chem department does it for people who had prior knowledge of gen chem and have able to show it in G chem I.

The only people will really benefit from it is chem majors.

I have G Chem I (letter grade), G Chem II (pass grade) and analytical Chem (letter grade) listed as 3 separate classes on my transcript.

Which is why I posted my experience on the first place, it saved me time for one less class and free up one spot. I am not saying this is better or worse, just telling my own experience for the OP, at the end it was beneficial to me.

I am starting DS in sep, like I said, no admission committee ever ask my gen chem II being pass instead of letter grade.