General Pediatrician

fallenangels

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, so I'm going to be a senior in high school this coming school year and I am considering becoming a General Pediatrician. Can anyone summarize the daily tasks/duties that a General Pediatrician has to perform? Also, what types of rotations would you have to do during residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, (once you get into college) if anything you should be focusing on getting into medical school first, then go from there. You are a long way from having to worry about residency. When you get to college, shadow a Pediatrician.

Last edited:
Okay thanks. I know it's a bit early to be worrying about this but I just wanted some insight to decide on what major I should choose while applying for college. I'm not 100% sure that I want to become a doctor because my alternate major is probably engineering. Can I ask what your major is?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's okay. I kind of jumped the gun (still do) when it comes to my future (doing too much research and reading about requirements and all of that). I'm going to major in Biology, possibly with a minor in Political Science. You don't have to major in a science, just know that. If I didn't like biology I wouldn't be majoring in it just because I want to become a doctor, but I love biology.

Last edited:
I really love biology too and I enjoy working with kids, so that's part of the reason why I am considering becoming a pediatrician. If I decide that I don't want to go to medical school, are there any careers paths in which a biology major is useful?

I really love biology too and I enjoy working with kids, so that's part of the reason why I am considering becoming a pediatrician. If I decide that I don't want to go to medical school, are there any careers paths in which a biology major is useful?
Research, field work, college professor, high school teacher. There are other concentrations for biology too such as marine biology, environmental science, geo-science, etc.
:)

I enjoy working with kids also, but it sounds weird saying I enjoy working with kids because I don't really "work" with them, I babysit. I even thought about becoming a teacher (that didn't last long). You could become a lab tech, biologist (this is the route I plan on going if things don't work out), but a lot of biologist jobs want a Masters or Ph.D. There are lots of fields of biology. You can teach or go into research.

Focus on getting into college - focus on doing well in college and enjoying yourself. Do activities/clubs that you enjoy..

During college - shadow pediatricians, shadow other fields.. Volunteer at a hospital or hospice or a local clinic.

For biology: You can do research, teach biology at HS/college, maybe do Bio-engineering and work in product development.

Day to day kind of depends on what your practice setup is. If you only complete pedatric residency with no fellowship, you can work outpatient or as a hospitalist. Outpatient will often be dealing with well child exams with the occasional really sick kid thrown in. Your job will be to reassure parents that their kids are growing appropriately, and offer counseling about what to expect in the future... As a hospitalist you will see more acute cases and help treat their day to day stuff and coordinate consults.

Posted using SDN Mobile